Thread: Difference between .abr brushes and .png brushes

Difference between .abr brushes and .png brushes

Hi girls,
    the question does probably sound stupid but.... better to ask than stay in a kind of fog concerning that point.
    I now have some brushes ans stamps I've bought in DD store. In my files I have the.png and the.abr.
    Most often I use the .abr.
    But I'm wondering what is the difference between using a abr and using a png (do not forget I'm a real beginner and that I cannot spent as much tme as I would like on scrap and that is for both traditional and digital).
    tnaks!!!
    Silhouette Caméo, Sewing machine Toyota RS Séries,Crop a Dile2, BIA
    Photoshop CS6, Elements 11

.png are just a copy of each individual brush. If you just want to use an image once it is easy to use the .png by adding it to your page and then recoloring it.
    .abr are more advanced! You have to do a couple of steps to install the brush, but once it's installed you can quickly switch from one brush to another and pick colors and brush size. So if you want to stamp multiple images, a brush is the way to go.
    I have installed the .abr brush files for all watery spots and splatters because I use them so often.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

For my use of brushes ( I use them mainly as stamps) the png file is probably better then.
    Silhouette Caméo, Sewing machine Toyota RS Séries,Crop a Dile2, BIA
    Photoshop CS6, Elements 11

I tend to use them as .png's too. Too lazy to load the brush ;-)
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

same here, I am a png kind of girl
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

once you load the brush, is it always available?

One thing I've wondered but never tried out is can you size an ABR larger than the PNG? I'm lazy and always use the PNG but sometimes they are smaller than I'd want. Guess I'm also too lazy to try it myself ...
    Camera(s): Nikon D5000, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20, iPhone 4S
    Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
    Software: PSE 11
    Computer: 13.3" Macbook

My Blog:Heather's Adventures in Lesotho

8. Yes to both of you. kjvy-town (sorry, I don't know your first name), barring any computer glitches, the brush stays loaded in your brush menu. I have lost my brushes when Adobe loaded a new ad for a new PSE version, but I just reloaded from my file (I keep both the zip in my downloads and the unzipped file in a "brushes" folder).
    Heather, you can make the brush bigger using the square bracket key ([]), right bracket makes it bigger, left bracket makes it smaller, or use the "size" menu on the top tool bar beside your selected brush, 'though most have a maximum size around 3000 pixels...give or take.
    Susan

Photoshop lets you reset your brushes. Sometimes I've loaded too many so I need to reset it and start again. I always keep a copy of my brushes in my digi stash so I can reload them from scratch, but I also keep them in Adobe's brushes folder so that even if I've reset my brush to the default brushes, all the other brushes are still there in the folder to load whenever I want them (for me it is C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Presets\Brushes).
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I never knew you could keep the brushes loaded in a folder. I tend to just load brushes as I want them from my digi stash.

I use the pngs usually for word art , but like the abr files for background brushes. I like being able to scroll through the brushes once they're loaded, especially useful with watery spots or ledger grids type brushes, so I can see which will work best on my page. I also find it easier to adjust the size of the brush as I go, instead of adding the png then resizing.

I'm only on PSE, I know you can do more with brushes with full Photoshop. So I guess my answer is just I use pngs or abr files as I feel like it at the time!
    Chrissy x

My software: PSE 12 for Mac, run on my Macbook Pro!, yay!
    My camera: Canon EOS 600D or still my trusty IXUS 950IS ( though it clunks a lot opening its shutter), or more likely my iPhone 4S

My blog

Heather, I still make my .png's as large as I want, I just resize them as I would any other element, just click and drag them out holding the shift button to keep the ratio right. Is that what you are meaning?
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I load all the .abr files into PSE as I do like to have them all listed there but I tend to use .png and recolour/resize as I go. .png is also quicker a lot of the time
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Having a LOT of brushes in PSE definitely tends to slow it down. It's usually recommended that you keep them on your hard drive and load them as you need them. That to me is a pain, so I too tend to use the .png. However...you do have more versatility with the brush once it's loaded.

btw, I don't know what the definition of A LOT is but as I've purchased digi items over 6+ years, I know I have a lot.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

I am lazy and just use the .png file. I really have to learn more about how brushes work. There are probably some tutorials out there!
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

I generally stick with the .pngs. I find it hard to really tell what the brushes are going to look like on my page from the little outlines that show up in the loaded brush box...they look a bit distorted to me. Even though it takes longer, I prefer to try out different versions of watery spots, for examples, as individual .pngs. Also...and this is just a bad habit....I have such a hard time remembering to create a new layer before I use a brush! When you drag a .png onto your document, you've automatically got it on its own layer. With .abrs, you've got to create that layer first, if you want to maintain editing flexibility.
    Connie

I tend to use the .pngs too. Unless I want play around a bit - and then I'll use the brush on its own layer.
    Sharon

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif