Thread: Would like your thoughts /ideas on digital /hybrid Project Life - thanks so much :*)

1. Question Would like your thoughts /ideas on digital /hybrid Project Life - thanks so much :*)

Hi ! After some major life detours, I am beginning to scrap again. I began last fall with project life ( non digital) and did most of the year. I really like it , but I love digital also. Years ago , I used to sell my designs etc. Anyway, I am currently a stay at home mom , nurse and purchase my photos from Walgreens at 9 cents a print on sale. So far I am satisfied with the prints & I can print from my selphy in a pinch. Ok- the dilemma is I would love to do more digital/hybrid scrapping. However, I need to keep the costs down and dont think I could afford a year of 2$ a page prints and shipping plus page protectors. I have 2 kids in college - one I pay rent for and 2 cars If I printed 4x6 finished digital cards (photos) - I am not sure how that would look on gloss photo paper at walgreens. I really want to start 2014 , but I have not done so , because I have been waffling back and forth with the digital aspect. Anyone have a system that would help me keep the cost down ? I also need to do a graduation album for my oldest of his college baseball career. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any ideas you might have. THanks. I have PSE 12 and PSCS2 and LR2. Have a great weekend! Lisa

2. Hi Lisa, welcome to DD! Not sure that I have a solution to your issues, but I would take advantage of sales and prepaid printing credits to reduce the cost of printing. Shipping can be expensive, especially if you are not in the continental USA. Scrappingsimply.com has standard $5 shipping and with credits, you can reduce the cost significantly, they have a 15% sale on now for the weekend, 'though their biannual sale is generally more than 15% off. If you use a 8.5 x 11 format, you can print at home, but that can be equally expensive..
    Some folks make books, an option, but you can't add pages once it is printed....I'd love to hear what others have to say!
    Susan

3. Aww thanks so much Susan- I will check Scrappingsimply out. Appreciate it and the welcome. I am from cold Illinois. I also am wondering if designer digitals has sales? So many lovely things ! thanks again Lisa

4. Yes, Lisa, Designer Digitals does have sales. This month is the Quarterly Sale (looks like it's from Feb 7th - 13th) where everything is on sale. There are also Thrifty Thursdays when select items are on sale and, of course, new items are on sale when they first come out. Also, every week Katie provides three freebies. You can find the older ones here and there are new ones in the forum this weekend. Good luck with your projects!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Dozier View Post
    Aww thanks so much Susan- I will check Scrappingsimply out. Appreciate it and the welcome. I am from cold Illinois. I also am wondering if designer digitals has sales? So many lovely things ! thanks again Lisa
    Patsy

And then there is always the option of doing it all digital, saving them up and printing in a book. The cost per page to print in a book when you catch a sale usually runs around 1.00 a page.
    And yes, Designer Digitals has sales- a quarterly sale next week, Thursday is a sale day, as well as Saturday. And on top of that, Katie offers goodies for inspiration for free!
    This is a great place to scrap-hope to see you around!
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

Lisa,
    Persnickety Prints is having a sale tomorrow for $1.75 a page for orders over $25 and free shipping. Plus they have two huge sales a year when the 12x12 prints are $1.49 a piece...just my two cents.

Lorna
    Lorna

My toys: Canon EOS 5D, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, macro 100mm
    My software: PSE v12, ACDSee Pro2
    My platform: I'm a Mac
    My blog: www.idiosyncrazies.wordpress.com

Photobucket

Hi Lisa, just a thought if you want to keep printing costs right down, there's a lot of book options where you can "print" for want of a better word as a PDF or something similar, your book becomes an e-book on the iPad. Then at a later date when you become more financial you might like to print your pages, but until then your beautiful book can still be enjoyed. Not the same, but a good option.

By the way I've never made an e-book of my pages, although I do save them on my iPad to show my mum when I trip down to see her, as she doesn't have the internet (yes, how archaic) so until I get my pages printed, it's the only way she can see them on the iPad screen.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

8. Wow, y'all are so very nice ! I appreciate all the great info ! Patsy , I will definitely be shopping then! Thanks!! Valerie, I think a book might be a good thing for my son's graduation- I think he would believe it was more "cooler" (showing my age) lol.Lorna- I have heard great things about Persnickety and that would be a big savings - I heard people buy gift certificates on sale days for the future- is that correct? I wonder if that would be before May? Anyone know? thanks again Lisa

9. Welcome, Lisa!

In addition to the Quarterly Sales and Thrifty Thursdays and Katie's weekly freebies, we also have an ongoing rewards program for participation in our monthly challenges. You could earn 5% or 10% or 15% off in the store depending on the number of challenges you participate in.

Check the calendar for the challenge dates and the dates for sales.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

10. Quote Originally Posted by carollee View Post
    Hi Lisa, just a thought if you want to keep printing costs right down, there's a lot of book options where you can "print" for want of a better word as a PDF or something similar, your book becomes an e-book on the iPad. Then at a later date when you become more financial you might like to print your pages, but until then your beautiful book can still be enjoyed. Not the same, but a good option.

By the way I've never made an e-book of my pages, although I do save them on my iPad to show my mum when I trip down to see her, as she doesn't have the internet (yes, how archaic) so until I get my pages printed, it's the only way she can see them on the iPad screen.
    How neat ! So do you send your jpegs somewhere , or do you just do a slideshow of your jpegs? interesting- thanks- guess I could google it - My Mom never had the internet - only when I was with her , holding her hand and helping her . I bought her something years ago that hooked up to her tv to search the web and was dial up . She called me every hour - drove me nuts. THe last straw was when she called to tell me that I had ruined her tv and she could not watch her soaps- she had no tv!! She was furious! About an hour later she called to apologize as her cable had been out! hahaha

11. Oh thanks Merrilee! sounds great! I hope I can remember all the things I used to- has been many a year . Used to be on several CT's - hope it comes back- my problem was in printing- hope to do better now

Hi Lisa! Great news that you're going to be getting back into scrapping! I'm in the UK so my knowledge of USA printing sales, etc is zilch but my own view is that digital is the way to go - I just find it so flexible in terms of sizing and re-using of stash. Along with the Thrifty Thursday sale each week, there is one item from each designer that you can purchase for 99c! And they are amazing value for money! I also tend to save my pages and print at the end of the year, that way I can choose which pages I want to include depending on my budget. I hope this helps a little and I just know you will pick up great advice from all members of DD, and I'm looking forward to seeing your work in the gallery!
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Sounds like you already got tons of good advice but I just wanted to say hello and welcome also! I agree with Liz about the reusability of everything in your stash but I'm sure you already know that. The print sales are great as well and even cheaper if you do 8x8 prints. There are lots of albums that size available..... I hope you'll jump back into digi
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Hi Lisa! Great to hear you are back scrapping again!
    I am on a tight budget as well but have found that there wasn't much difference financially between going hybrid or all digital. I still had to buy the plastic pockets and get the photos and cards/embellishments for my hybrid PL and that all added up. However, now that I am all digital, I love that I can re-use all my supplies! I always wait for the sales at Persnickety to get my pages printed and shipped and my family always know to buy me a gift voucher for Persnickety when it is my birthday! And yes, Katie has such wonderful freebies here, as well as plenty of sales.
    Hope to see you post some pages soon!
    Jenelle

My Gallery

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I like to print photobooks because they are compact and much cheaper than printing individual pages (especially when you add in the cost of the page protector and the album). I usually wait for good deals - often 40% to 70% off.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Welcome Lisa!

Here's my experience with what to do when you've done pages and are on to the next step.

I've done both individual pages for a binder & printed books (Shutterlfly, Blurb and Mixbook) and books are cheaper than printing the pages with albums and page protectors. If you get your book totally ready and uploaded at any or all of those sites you can take advantage of the 40%/50% off sales. Looking at the big sales that happened after Christmas this year, I'd say that there will be sales like that in Jan/Feb 2015 and probably throughout 2014. Get registered now to start your e-mailings from the stores.

You can however go the route of albums, and get the post bound ones at the big box craft stores (Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobb, Jo-Ann etc) which always have periodic sales on the basic albums with 20 page protectors included. I have a couple of those sitting round... unused so far. However if you are only going to have that 40 pages or so, it's a great price. (Plus you know that you can get on the mailings for these stores or get the ads in the Sunday papers for 40%-50% off any non sale item. And stores do take each others coupons IF you are buying something that the coupon store sells. e.g you can't use a Michaels' coupon at JoAnns to buy fabric...)

I have done a couple of year of layouts in D ring binders, as well as years of Project Life in a D rings. Only once did I do some hybrid pages (for a Hawaii trip week in my basic PL and it drove me nuts!) I'm still on the fence as to whether 2014 PL will be in a D ring binder or a book. I get antsy to actually see those pages by about April so...we'll see.

Persnickety's main sales are twice a year - April and October, $1.49 a 12" page, shipping no matter what is always $5. an order to the US. If you plan to do this with your college album, get the pages uploaded as soon as you are done with them, again so you are ready to order as soon as the 3 day sales start. They do get busy but they are soooo good. I always buy the packet of 50 credits so I can avoid that time but it is a chunk of change.

I would say the biggest drawbacks of a printed book are 1. there's no going back when someone, like my dh, spots a glaring spelling/grammar mistake 2. depending on the usage of the book, the bindings can split or give way. The latter hasn't happened to me because pretty much only the two of us look at the books and so they get little use.

hth and have fun getting back into digi!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

17. Welcome Lisa.... here's my 2 cents worth... Scrapbooking albums are 40% off this week at Michaels - I do the 8 x 8's printing is $1 at persnickety and when you get credits(Ie purchase stuff in advance) there 75 cents....I print about 20 pages at a time... ie $20 so that works in my budget.....and I get to see what I have so far...so I can adjust if I don't like what I see....I like prints better than books because I make a lot of mistakes and I can change my mind for $1 ... add a page I missed etc... plus with 8 x 8's I can print at home in a pinch...

I think you will like digital ... and with albums you can still do a hybrid when you have the need....the quarterly sale has really good challenges as well as sales.... you can see alot this week.... to get a lot of things for your thought process.... ideas and freebies and a chance to see what others are saying... the stuff will be in the forum...just like your thread is... have a great week!!!
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

18. Oh thank you so much !! I somehow did not know anyone had posted again. I read all the wonderful info that you shared - thanks so much. I have tried doing the 8x8 in the past - but my mistake was that i just resized my 12x12's and then i could barely read the journaling after it was printed. So - I would need to scrap that size initially. Anyway- I bought several of Katies templates and have been using them and everything (pretty much) came back. I am loving PSE12 - compared to CS2 that I used to use - the only complaint I have is with the styles etc are not so easy to load and play with. I did find my files - but one of my external hard drives - is toast _ So a good reminder to back up ! Luckily I had all on dvd's also. I do think I will try printing at Persnickity after I get a few made . I also need to figure out how to save in PSE12 vs how I did in cs2.
    So do you just mix up layouts in one album? Such as traditional layouts, project life etc? Or do you stick with one type for a more cohesive album? I think I would just be happy to finish one that I would be happy to have it done lol. THanks again- Lisa

19. Lisa, keep making 12x12 and resizing...just use a bigger font, much easier on the eyes! I do keep separate albums for 365 and everyday LO's but do what ever works for you, you won't be visited by the scrapbook police....LOL, they are much too busy with the paper scrappers!
    Susan

I am terrible at printing but when I eventually get around to it (HA!) I have things in separate albums. PL has it's own album, my 2 kids have their own albums, AAM pages have their own album and then I do yearly albums for the everyday kind of layouts. Specific projects (like my pregnancy books) get their own album too. And because apart from PL I rarely scrap anything in order, nothing is ever finished.
    Trace

21. Quote Originally Posted by home in ottawa View Post
    Lisa, keep making 12x12 and resizing...just use a bigger font, much easier on the eyes! I do keep separate albums for 365 and everyday LO's but do what ever works for you, you won't be visited by the scrapbook police....LOL, they are much too busy with the paper scrappers!
    Can't remember the last time I laughed out loud like that!

22. Ha Susan ! So glad to know the digi police wont be checking out my albums! Lol! Trace - your gallery is amazing & it was your PL digi layouts that got me interested again! You really sold me on a bunch of products - wink . I thought i was the only one that didnt finish things - sigh. i found a bunch of digi layouts on a hard drive that had never been printed - shaking head - way back when I was on too many creative teams. I thought i might put them in a layout - at 6x6 - then i could at least see them - ha