Thread: Is Shutterfly still printing darker than expected?

Is Shutterfly still printing darker than expected?

I am about to order four or five books from Shutterfly, and it's been well over a year since I ordered anything from them. I know other companies do a better job printing but Shutterfly still has the best prices---and I'm still on a budget! Anyway, I remember the last couple of books I ordered seemed very dark. Some folks say they screen their jpegs 10% or so before uploading. Is this still the case? It would be a lot of work but I am willing to go back and re-process all those pages if need be. I'd rather do it now than be dissatisfied with the finished product.

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

2. First of all, I think the size of the book makes a difference. The few times I ordered 12 x 12 books at Shutterfly, the pages and photos were not dark while 8 x 8 books were on the dark side, especially if the photos themselves were dark.

I have been happy with my recent books from Shutterfly in the 8 x 8 size, but, I am really paying attention to the photos themselves and making sure they are not dark.
    I have never screened whole pages, just the photos.

I agree with you, it is hard not to stick with Shutterfly because of their good deals.

My December book this year was 8 x 8 size and I paid extra for lay flat pages. It is my nicest looking book, so far! Only problem is that gets expensive.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

Three will be 8X8 and three will be 12X12 . . . I guess it wouldn't hurt to look at each page and see how dark it looks. Usually I process my photos with a heavy hand toward overexposing, so hopefully they will be okay. I did notice my last 12X12 is stretching and starting to loosen up along the center page. I really am leaning toward printing pages at Persnickety and dropping them into traditional albums. But, for now, I am going to bite the bullet and keep on with the bound books.

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses

I just tried Mixbook for the first time - the color seemed right to me and I liked the book.
    Julie

Have you tried Photobook America? I really like the 11x11 and with their coupon, which you can find on their web page, it is about the same as the 10x10 at Shutterfly. I thought about ordering one from Shutterfly again, but after I compared Photobook came out less expensive-that is for books that are 40+ pages. Under 40 pages with a discount, I think Shutterfly is the best price.
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

I haven't printed with Shutterfly for ages but last time I mentioned it here in a discussion, others had come in and mentioned that didn't seem to be the case any more and they printed great.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Just got a 10x10 size book... It looked great! I was pleasantly surprised!
    LoriS

My Gallery

Thanks, everyone. I noticed that it used to be when they ran their 40% and 50% sales the print quality was poor. Now it seems the sales are perpetual, maybe they've fixed their production process and they have more consistent quality.
    Sarah

Maybe I need to marry Shutterfly again, after our break up ! ;-)
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

10. I have been delighted with Shutterfly's quality for price for the last couple of books and calendars I have printed.

I recently purchased three 12x12 albums and I am very pleased with all of them! I would one day love to try the lay flat version like Merr!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Thanks! I would love the flat version too . . . and honestly, I'd like to "break up" with them but 1) they are still so inexpensive, 2) the service is great, and 3) I thought they were going to do away with the custom path options, but the new design is truthfully much easier to use than the old design, I had no trouble putting my books together---so I am going to go ahead and order them this morning.
    Sarah

I've had a problem twice with Shutterfly (pages seemed to have ink leaks which left a big blotch on the page), but I keep going back. Most of the books were ok and it was just the one page that was affected. Annoying though. I should probably let them know and see if they could reprint, but I never get around to it. I didn't notice that the pages were darker at all, so maybe they've fixed it.
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

They will fix it, but I would rather be prepared. I did have one that came with pages falling out (this was years ago---2007 I think) and I called. They replaced it right away.
    Sarah

Shutterfly and MyPublisher recently joined .. I have used MyPublisher for a while to make photo books and one book of pages scrapped with DD supplies .. the MyPublisher books have always been spot on. Just got one in the mail today and it is pretty much the same as it looks on my screen .. very pleased. They have great deals most of the time and I usually snatch up a Groupon for their landscape size books. Maybe since the two have joined together, Shutterfly quality regarding brightness has improved. I still use Shutterfly for the free 4x6 prints they offer from time to time when my Mom wants "stuff" to put in her photo books :-) and there are still a few that are darker than I thought they should be. So I've started using MPix for individual prints that I plan on framing which I don't mind paying for those.
    Gail

Quote Originally Posted by LoriS View Post
    Just got a 10x10 size book... It looked great! I was pleasantly surprised!
    I did, too, and it looked great! AND I totally forgot to turn off the 'vivid pics' thing! Although maybe it was already off... I just don't know! I never looked! Ha. But, no matter... the book came out great! AND, I didn't have an issue with the cover this time! Maybe they've fixed ALL their problems...?
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by dugarner View Post
    Three will be 8X8 and three will be 12X12 . . . I guess it wouldn't hurt to look at each page and see how dark it looks. Usually I process my photos with a heavy hand toward overexposing, so hopefully they will be okay. I did notice my last 12X12 is stretching and starting to loosen up along the center page. I really am leaning toward printing pages at Persnickety and dropping them into traditional albums. But, for now, I am going to bite the bullet and keep on with the bound books.

Thanks!
    I only print bound books with a theme that has a beginning and an end like my annual Year in Review Albums. I print all my other layouts at Persnickety and put them in traditional albums. I don't scrap chronologically so making a bound book of regular layouts wouldn't work well for me.

I remembered to turn it off---it makes a huge difference even in the preview on my screen. It is bizarre how much that changes the look of the layout. I remembered it for all five of the books I just ordered. I can't wait!!! Still can't get used to the delayed gratification that comes with printing books . . . when I did paper, I could enjoy it as I went.
    Sarah

My daughter gave me a Shutterfly book for Christmas. The first one they sent had a problem so she called them and they sent another one. They didn't even ask her to return the one with the problem.

They have made changes recently and I think they are MUCH more user friendly.

I always flatten my pages, copy, screen and change opacity to 20%. It lightens them just slightly and I am very happy with the results. I save them that way when I create them, but you can set it up as an action and do them all at once. I did that one time and it was incredible to watch it happening right before my eyes.
    Janet
    software: CS3

My Gallery

I already use a processing action to change my 24X12 into 12X12 JPEGs --- I guess I should just add the screen step to it as well. Sometimes I'm afraid the pages will look overblown. I will wait and see how these books turn out---and then change the script if I need to. I'm not so concerned about my December Daily books, but my Disney books will need to meet a standard, and I won't be shy about calling if the pages are dark or if the color is off! Especially since one I've already paid for---but then decided to re-do it since my digiscrapping skills have dramatically improved since I ordered the first one.
    Sarah