Thread: 12x12 or 8x8?

12x12 or 8x8?

Iíve been toying with the idea of doing a PL again this year. I was thinking of going with an 8x8 size. I know that some of you do that. I use CS5 - so here is my question. If I use a 12x12 template and then just resize in the program will that work for printing? Or should I resize the template before creating the rest of the page?
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Sharon, I'd resize the template first just to be sure my journaling was big enough to read. I've done one 8" album (my Canada trip) and that is the method I followed. Resize first, then edit the journaling if it's not big enough. It's easy to do a test page on regular computer paper using the black and white draft feature too.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

Just make everything 12x12! When you upload to print, it resizes it for you! Also, try the 10x10 size!!! It's just perfect! Not too big-not too small...
    LoriS

My Gallery

I'd work out your font size so you know it's readable at 8x8 but create at 12x12. Mainly because if you change your mind you still have the 12x12 there. But if you create at 8x8 it won't successfully stretch bigger, if that makes sense.

My 8x8 December book is all being created and saved as 12x12 pages. Just that when I come to do the cover I will specifically then seek out their 8x8 size/template from the printing company. Covers tend to be a bit different, they seem to need to be size specific. In my experience.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I like to create big and resize later. You can do a test print of your page at home to see how big the journaling will be.
    OR you can do a simple calculation to check the font size - when printed on 8x8 paper it is 8/12ths what it was on the 12x12. Just multiply your font size by 8/12. For example if you use 12 point text it is the size of 8 point when you print it on 8x8 paper.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

6. I do mine in 12 x 12 first and print 8 x 8 and I love the end result!!!!
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

I agree with the above - I often make 7x7 books, keep your font something readable - not scrawling tiny handwriting type, and make it 12 x 12, you can always size down but not up
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

Thanks everyone! I thought that would work - but wanted the confirmation from those who have the experience.
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon

Esther's font calculation is the cleverest thing ever, I've never thought to do that until recently when she mentioned it to me.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

I have used Photobook America a few times because they have an 11x11 which is perfect. With a coupon it is about the same as a coupon at Shutterfly for their 10x10. I tried an 8x8 and it was just too small. I always make mine 12x12 and they all print fine. I usually use a 14 font and that seems to work well.
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

11. I always create 12x12 pages and print 8x8. One thing I have noticed though is a texture difference in papers such as the linen papers. I didn't resize my linen paper when I made the Shutterfly cover, so the texture was a lot larger and more noticeable than on my pages. Not a big deal but something to consider!
    Brittany
    My Blog

I always create 12x12 and upload as 12x12. Let the printing company do the resizing for you!! I print my PL as 12x12. I figure it's a big project, I need to go big!!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I agree that the new 10x10 size is perfect and I did my Christmas album in 12x12 and resized. I found when I let the resizing happen automatically with the 8x8 that the fonts were sometimes too small, things seemed a bit wonky, and I agree, that textures didn't come out right on some of the linen papers. 10x10 made for a smaller book (I like for Christmas and vacation albums) didn't seem too much of a stretch to go from a 12x12 original.
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

I usually create 12 X 12 and print 8 x 8.
    Terry

Terry's Tales

Gear: Nikon D60
    Software: CS4
    Platform: Mac

Thanks so much everyone!!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon

16. Sharon your inbox is full
    And I have everything in 8x8 but I would love to move up to at least a 10x10... the 12x12 seem so large everything I am at Michaels, but then I might light having my images that much bigger...
    shhbabymine (sarah)
    canon rebel xti
    PSE5
    my gallery

i am a 12x12 printer - i love seeing all the details in full detail & i feel like when i print 8x8 lots of those details are lost. I am interested in 10x10 books though - seems like a great in between!

I love my 12x12 books, adore them large as life in front of me. And I don't think they're too big. Having said that my December book this year is going to be 8x8 mainly because it's using instagram pics and I think blowing it up larger will be a bit dubious with some pics. Although I'm creating in 12x12 to print at 8x8.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

I am a 12 X 12 girl too! Kayleigh spoke so highly of her 12 X 12s that I had to try it and I have been so happy with the results. My first books were 8 X 8, but I think it is worth it to spend a bit more for 12 X 12. With the sales at Shutterfly it is about $1.00 per page and when I consider all I am getting, I think it is a real bargain.
    Janet
    software: CS3

My Gallery

The input on this topic is great. I have started my PL on 12x12 thinking I would make it 8x8. Yesterday I printed a test as 8x8 just to check font and photo sizes. It really seemed small. I think I'll stick with the 12x12 size for printing. Unfortunately I can't print them myself but I'm sure it will be worth the extra $$ to be able to actually read the finished product!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon

You know Sharon my thoughts is that it is worth the $'s. We spend that much time and effort on our pages to look the best they can possibly be on screen, we need to liken it to an artist who paints a picture. If they buy a crappy cheap frame the picture is not going to look diddly squat, despite the effort they put into it. If they frame it in a quality good looking frame, then it will enhance all their hard work. The printing of our scrap pages is the same - get the best quality printing you can afford, be it single pages in an album, or a bound book. It will be worth it in the long run. My two cents.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog