Thread: Older digi files?

Older digi files?

Hi everyone!

I have been away from digi-scrapping for almost six years now and am thinking about getting back into it. I have located ALL my old digi supplies and am overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I own! I am trying to organize them but am not sure what program to use. Any suggestions are welcome.

When does one say "I'm never going to use this." and then click delete?

Melanie

A lot of of us and digi scrappers use ACDSee. It's an amazing program that you can create your own tags and tag the items you want...as much or as little as you'd like! I used to tag every item, but now I just tag the things that I know I'll be in search of and use over and over again. Such as buttons, flowers, flairs and textured paper! Here's an idea of some tags that I created a long time ago!

For your other question, I would suggest not deleting things. If you need space on your computer, move things to an external hard drive. I wouldn't delete them, unless you know for sure that your style has changed and you won't be using them again.

(just notices you live in Carmel, I grew up in Indy!!)
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

An interesting topic! I've done a bit of tagging in PSE organiser but it's so time consuming and I must say, I've pretty much got my stash organised without the tagging so for now I'm taking a rain check!

I must say though Kim, your organisation is second to none! I'll definitely pick up some pointers from your screenshot when I have a spare 5 minutes to tag!

I also like your idea of only tagging things you know you are going to use

Thanks for the quick reply, Kim! I have d/l ACDSee 17 and will be looking through your tags soon. I remember using ACDSee so long ago. I loved it!

I have found soooo many old kits - I wonder if I will be able to ever get them all organized. Almost makes me want to hit delete and start all over tagging as I go along!

Where in Indy? We lived in Indy over 10 years ago - on the north side (Greenbriar/Nora)

Melanie, I would start with your newest items for tagging, and then bit by bit, you get the old ones done in chunks of time. You can always start by just tagging the preview image. That's a big time saver, and the only thing I found hard is to see all the items IN a kit from the previews. I usually do see the things I'm likely to use and ignore the others...buttons and flowers.

I have yet to tag my huge folder of Katie's elements, imported into my LR catalog before .pngs were visible. Now they are visible and I know I have lots of goodies I could be using but... bit by bit things get done.

I have deleted things, and yes even from here. If I know I really don't ever plan to use something, I've just recently been able to let them go. Now this is after almost 6 years of scrapping! Now if I could just delete those buttons and 85% of flowers, I know I could clear up a lot of space! since they are not likely to ever go on my pages. But it is hard to Just Do It.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

6. When I first started with digi, I downloaded freebies from a couple of sites. Mostly, they were things that I would never use....but they were FREE! Once I found DD and the awesome products, I was able to just delete some of the uglies outright. There were a couple of things that I might use, under special circumstances (like H*** freezing over), so I moved those to an external hard drive. I didn't feel too badly, because if I needed them, they were still there....Well, H*** didn't freeze over, and I still hadn't used them....so I deleted them. It really is freeing (and more space on my computer was a bonus too!) One of the things that I want to do this year is tag! I just need to start!
    Susan

How exciting to return to digi scrapping after so long!
    I have my favorite things tagged in ACDSee - especially cute embellishments that I would never find otherwise.
    I have been collecting stuff for about 8 years but I'm afraid I rarely use the older stuff. I find I love my newer stuff much better. A great place to start would be to use some of the challenge freebies here.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I deleted all of my tags at one point and started all over too. It may be time consuming but SO worth the time! Set aside 20-30 minutes a day until it's complete! Only tag the things you really think you'll be searching for. The search feature here at Designer Digitals is AMAZING!! I've used it several times even with tagging!

I grew up more on the west side. I think it was Wayne Township.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions! I'm glad to know there are still scrappers out there. I am excited to be getting back into it! Now to find/create photos to be scrapped. We are empty nesters these days.

I have deleted old things I picked up when I first started digi scrapping, lots of freebies from the web and such. I have gotten to a point where I know quality product and that's what I want to scrap with, also I know my style (if I even have a style, so know what I would use and what I won't use), and I just know I won't use a lot of the old stuff I picked up way back when. And I too use ACDSee but heck I'm behind in tagging. Lucky I have a good memory of product. Failing which I search the store for a name of a product and if I know I have got it, I do a search of my computer files for the name. Time consuming! Which is why I need to get my tagging done in ACDSee !!
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I am the same as Carol. I have wonderful files full of goodies. They are all waiting to be tagged LOL. I do tend to use the new releases around here a lot, they are just easier to find. Some staples I search for by name and I do look in the store for things as well. It's so easy to find anything that way. Actually once you start tagging, you will find it very relaxing, it's just the idea of getting started.... how wonderful that you are getting back into it, it's such a great hobby! Get yourself a pet
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Melanie, I was an empty-nester when I started scrapping. Don't let that stop you! Every day is important and has special moments. I found that scrapping helps me notice them. Read a lot of Ali's word art and you'll see what I mean...
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Maureen, I am finding that I just don't have very many scrappable pictures anymore! No babies, no toddlers, no teenagers.
    I miss that, but will be going through the pics from our trip to Europe for pages.

Melanie

14. Melanie have fun doing the Europe pages - you are going to enjoy digital again....!!!! Melanie you might want to try 1 2 page spread a month for whats going on.... or 2.... I do 2(4 pages total) and it works for me.... and life is pretty limited when you are at home with your 91 year old grandmother....
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

I use the Bridge that came with my CS5. A couple weeks ago something happened to my program and I lost all my tags!!! Well - got it figured out and managed to get it back in place. I was so lost without it. I grabbed ACDSee and it works nicely. I was so used to my Bridge that when I got it repaired I went back to using it. Whatever program you use you will not regret all the work to get everything tagged. I couldn't scrap without my tagging!!!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Sharon, did your Bridge tags transfer? Hoping so!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5