Thread: How to speed up my running??

How to speed up my running??

I have recently realized that, contrary to what I have been telling myself all my life, I CAN run. A few months back I started jogging/running for the first time in my life. And wonder above all wonders, I happen to LIKE it!
    Miracles still happen apparently.

Now, I don't run often, about twice per week, and don't plan to do much more than that, since I lift weights the other days. The running is for my "off" days.

I thought I was rocking this running thing, but I have realized that perhaps not so much. My dh had the audacity to laugh at me when I told him I run a km in 7 minutes. He said that is "sooooo slow". Well, I said, it sure is a lot
    faster than YOU run it as long you stay put on the couch in front of the telly. :hrmpf:

But my pride was hurt nonetheless.... and so last week I tried to speed up my km time. I got down to about 6 min per km. But I don't think I can run much faster without dying.
    Another issue I have, is that my endurance sucks - after about half an hour to 40 min I have to give in because my knees hurt. This is less of a problem, since I don't want to run MUCH longer than that, but I would LIKE to get 5 km in at that time and not the "measly" three that I do now.

So, to all you runners/joggers out there.... I have two questions:
    1. How should I try to increase my running speed gradually?
    2. How to build up endurance so that my knees won't start hurting...? (I have the BEST running shoes out there, so that's not the problem.)

Ladies and gents, let's talk running.
    * Aino *

My gallery

: Nikon D4S & Nikon Df with various lenses.
    : Lightroom and PSCS6

Aino I'm generally anywhere between 7 and 7:30 mins per km. I class myself as a bit of a plodder but at the moment I'm going for endurance as opposed to speed. However when I did my last 12 week recently I did the 10km program and it was designed in a way that you did running, different intensities, hill days, long slow days, and cross training to build up strength not only in the legs but in the back too. It all combined perfectly and I felt I was running better than ever.

The last 12 weeks I went it alone as I went overseas during it, and I feel I've gone back to plodding a but again.

Come Monday I'm about to start the half marathon program and know I will build my speed as well as endurance again.

Now... In my quest to check out music etc, I saw there were some good looking apps. There's of course the Couch to 5k. But I also saw apps for 10km running and half/full marathon training. I think these will do very similar to my 12 week program. In that to maintain the distance and get faster is not just about the running, it's the strength training too.

It's all such a science. Tell your hubby GRRRRRRRR from me. I think you rock.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Just read your question again, I also had a few probs with my knees. I'm mindful of the distances I'm running and my age and take care the next couple of days after a long run. But I have some long compression tights that I wear when I do my long runs (if it's not too hot). Compression wear is pretty pricey, but golly it helps my legs, knees and calves.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

thanks Carol - you are my inspiration - so I am happy you answered me. Where you get your programs from`?
    * Aino *

My gallery

I'm doing a weight loss/fitness program called 12wbt (12 week body transformation), I've been doing it for almost two years come May, it's become a way of life. But I'll have a squiz in the morning at the apps I found this morning on the phone, off to bed now, must be up early before the sun gets too hot! Running! tee hee.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

6. I am so happy for you guys! I started running in my teens...none of my friends ran so I stopped. In my late 40's, I found it again. There is a chain of running stores here in Canada called "The Running Room" founded by John Stanton. Many people, runners included have called it a cult...There is a "run club" Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings...it is free and there is always someone who wants to do the same distance that you do. I did a 10 K class and then, just like Carol, I decided that I wanted to run a half marathon during the year that I turned 50. (I ran 2!)
    I too am a plodder, I really don't have a runner's body...bunion surgery and scoliosis make my body mechanics....interesting. Anyone doing gait analysis usually starts, "put your shoulders back"..."I can't, my spine is fused"....and finishes, "well good for you for being out here, keep going!" My foot issues have stopped me running, and I miss it!
    So all this to say, as Carol did, the way to get faster is to run more, and vary the intensity of the training by doing hills and speed work. There are many running books out there with training schedules and nutrition tips etc. Stanton's is called "Running: from start to finish".
    The other tip that I have is to find a good physiotherapist now. A good massage and/or physio for anything that starts to nag, will help you to stay healthy while running.
    You can do it!
    Susan

Thank you Susan - that was helpful - I will check out the book you mentioned.
    * Aino *

My gallery

8. You're welcome! Just wondering about your shoes with your knee issues. You say that they are the best...but are they right for you? Each shoe is designed with regard to how the wearer plants their foot and the impact absorbing foam (or air) is placed in a different spot accordingly. Most shoes have an area of rigid, non-compressible plastic to "correct" your gait. If you are not wearing the right shoe for you, regardless of how much they cost, they can absolutely contribute to knee pain. I used to find that in the right shoes any discomfort that I had in my hips or knees went away as I reached longer distances and the muscles warmed up. Most running stores have a shoe fitter who will watch you walk and help to decide if you require a neutral or "corrective" shoe.
    Susan

I know about this Susan. I actually made a long research into this before I bought the shoes I run in. No, I didn't go and have them fitted, it's probably something I should do. But I am aware of the different kind of gaits etc.
    I do think that part of the problem is lack of experience and perhaps poor form. Not to mention I still have a few kgs too much on my small frame, even though it's getting lighter by the week.
    * Aino *

My gallery

Hi Aino! When I started running again this past August I was at about a 10:30-11 minute mile and have since gotten it down to a 9:20 minute mile (5:45 km) for about 5 miles (about 8 km). One thing that helped was to keep running consistently. Also I am a fairly competitive person (especially with myself!) so once I put a running app on my phone I could clearly see my results and pushed myself to improve. Now I don't vary my course so I did improve without doing more/less hills or longer/shorter runs... but I am thinking this spring I will mix it up some. What also seemed to help was running on the treadmill this winter. I ran faster outside after two months of running inside. And when I trained for my marathon (way back in 2006) I did my cross-training in spinning classes - those will really strengthen your legs! If you want to run farther just slowly add on the miles. I worked with Team in Training for the marathon I ran and they have you do a long run on Saturdays and then a few 5 mile runs during the week. If I remember correctly they would increase the Saturday run distance for two or three weeks and then back off and have a recovery week. So if you ran 8 then 10 then 12 miles, the next week you would run maybe 9 miles before pushing farther.

Of course music helps... and the beat of the music can help as well. I know there is a way to match the pace of the music to your gait (faster or slower) but I have never looked into that.

I second Susan on the shoes... I would have had no idea which shoe to buy for my body/feet if I hadn't gone to have my run gait analyzed. I am in the stability type shoe.

Good luck!
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

I use the Trail Mix Pro app Julie, to listen to my running music through. It matches the beat of the music to the cadence in your step. But strangely enough it sounds right. It doesn't sound like chipmunks singing fast or blah blah blah singing slow, the voices still sound right.

I also use Runkeeper to track my runs. Aino, do you use any apps like that? Runkeeper is free and it's a great way to keep you motivated, you get maps, it gives you little motivational screens at the end of your run, you can set goals like "I want to run 10km in 6 months" or the one I use each year now is "I want to run 1000 km in 12 months". Last year I ran 621 km and was absolutely rapt, it tracked it for me so no work (apart from the running) on my part.

I also am involved in a couple of running groups on facebook. The inspiration and support I get from fellow runners is phenomenal.

Okay I'm just looking at my phone at the couple of apps I found the other day that might help which I found interesting, I'll write them down here exactly as it says in the app which might help you search for them if you are interested:

* 10K Runner: 0 to 5K to 10K (it says 14 weeks, 3 days a week to reach 10K)
    * Strong Runner - Running Exercises (free - has 40 smart video exercises for runners)
    * Runkeeper (my personal favourite, love love love this app)
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Thank you ladies for all your input. I feel motivated to continue with the running!! Carol, I use Runtastic app - it tracks my running, tells me how fast, route/distance, etc. (I am on Android with a Samsung Galaxy)
    I will look into those other apps you mentioned.
    And I will try to see if I can find a place that will check my feet for me.
    * Aino *

My gallery

Well Runkeeper and Runtastic will be doing about the same thing. When I was overseas it was so cool being able to see what maps I was getting when I was running, they will be going into my travel album too!!

Aino, did you see the link to Licorice and Olives 5km virtual fun run series. The January race has now finished, but there's a whole year ahead of us. A young Sydney lass has started a 5km virtual fun run, she has about 250 participants from all over the world. On a set week each month you go out and run your 5km (or 3.1 miles), and send her your screen print of the distance/time (either from an app, or a photo of a GPS watch, or however you are tracking it). She's making up a leader board, there are apparently prizes. Best of all you can track yourself, trying to get a PB each month. Yell out if you are interested in signing up for the rest of the year and she'll send you the details.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

14. Oh Carol! A virtual 5K challenge sounds wonderful! I keep saying that I want to get back to running....
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by carollee View Post
    Well Runkeeper and Runtastic will be doing about the same thing. When I was overseas it was so cool being able to see what maps I was getting when I was running, they will be going into my travel album too!!

Aino, did you see the link to Licorice and Olives 5km virtual fun run series. The January race has now finished, but there's a whole year ahead of us. A young Sydney lass has started a 5km virtual fun run, she has about 250 participants from all over the world. On a set week each month you go out and run your 5km (or 3.1 miles), and send her your screen print of the distance/time (either from an app, or a photo of a GPS watch, or however you are tracking it). She's making up a leader board, there are apparently prizes. Best of all you can track yourself, trying to get a PB each month. Yell out if you are interested in signing up for the rest of the year and she'll send you the details.
    Yes, I heard you talk about this .... well, saw you talk about this.... and I LOVE the concept. That's one of the reasons why I decided to see how far my normal route is and it turns out to be 3 km. I have plotted out a 5km route, but I don't think I am in running shape yet to do a 5 km. That is what I am working towards. It's good to have goals right!
    * Aino *

My gallery

I love to run...have been a runner during and after high school. I run anywhere from 9-10 minute mile depending upon the day. Mind you I am much faster outside running in the hills opposed to on my treadmill....I get so worn out treadmill running and my knees seem to hurt more. I have lost 30 pounds though in the last 5 months and my knees no longer hurt nearly as much as they used to but I did buy some fantastic Asics shoes though that could definitely be helping with that too. Each day, I start off running and I will set a goal to up my speed a point or two randomly throughout my run. I will do that for a couple weeks and then start off a little faster and up it again. I also will do sprints occasionally and found that really helped with my endurance.

17. Go Lacey! Good for you! Congrats, WOW! 30 lbs!
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by laceybittner View Post
    I love to run...have been a runner during and after high school. I run anywhere from 9-10 minute mile depending upon the day. Mind you I am much faster outside running in the hills opposed to on my treadmill....I get so worn out treadmill running and my knees seem to hurt more. I have lost 30 pounds though in the last 5 months and my knees no longer hurt nearly as much as they used to but I did buy some fantastic Asics shoes though that could definitely be helping with that too. Each day, I start off running and I will set a goal to up my speed a point or two randomly throughout my run. I will do that for a couple weeks and then start off a little faster and up it again. I also will do sprints occasionally and found that really helped with my endurance.

Thank you! That is amazing!!
    * Aino *

My gallery

Carol, I love you! I downloaded the free "Trail Mix" and love that I can match my music to my pace! It's sooooo hard for me to run "off beat" so this is perfect! (Although Adele singing "Skyfall" at my pace sounds kinda funny! hahaha)

Since you have the 'pro' version, what do I get that would make paying for the 'pro' version worthwhile? I see that the freebie counted my steps, but not distance or anything. Since you don't use "Trail Mix" to track your runs, do you think it's worth it for me to upgrade to 'pro' or should I try your "Runkeeper"? Decisions, decisions...
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet