Thread: Trying to be more creative - but I still need some help

1. Question Trying to be more creative - but I still need some help

Hi there! I've been scrapbooking for quite a few years, first with paper and now in digital format. I've already done a few books, but it always seems that when I start something new, I have something new to learn!!

I just purchased a few of the curled photo frames and I cannot figure out how to make them looked curled! When I pull them into Photoshop Elements, they appear flat - without the shading on the corners. So I tried adding shading and it automatically gives shadow to the entire bottom of the image. What am I doing wrong? Help!

2. Hello MJW! welcome to DD! We have all been there...I am still learning new things in PSE. Some of Katie's frames come with shadows, and some are unshadowed so that you can rotate them and add your own shadows, but the curled frames usually have corner shadows attached.
    I wonder, is the set that you are using a PSD set? as in, it has layers? If so, when you open the files you will get several layers in the layers panel. If you select all of the layers in the layers panel (control/command click on each layer or holding down the shift and clicking on the first and last layer-all will be highlighted) and drag them all to the document, the shadow layer will come too. Here is a link to a more detailed explanation from Sara.
    http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...Embellishments
    Hope that helps.....If you need any more help, try posting your question in the Software Help, Digital Talk, or Scrap Help sections...people tend to see and answer questions there faster! Good luck!
    Susan

3. Hi MJW

So glad you are here at DD. Hope you figure out how to make the curled frames work for you with Susan's great advice.

Just out of curiosity which curled photo frames are you trying to use? Maybe I can try using the same one and get back to you with advice for that particular set.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

I would also take a look at this tutorial from Cassie - it will help you make your own bent shadows. Usually, the frames are not curled, but the shadow is
    If you make a shadow yourself, you could also try "Edit-Transform-Warp" (with the shadow layer selected) to bend individual corners and achieve that bent look. Any of Cassie's tutorials will help you make your own shadows. You can of course also do that on the frame layer itself, but my experience is, as I said earlier, that a bent shadow will make an optical illusion that the frame is curled as well. I used this tecnhique on the layout under:

-anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

5. I purchased the Classic Curled photo frames and the Vintage photo frames. When I look at them as files (before pulling them into PSE), I can see the shading, but when I open them in PSE they are flat - no layers. I'm sure I can figure it out with the suggestions everyone has given (thank you everybody) - certainly have to exercise patience

6. Keep us posted! There is always someone around to help. Good luck!
    Susan

This is a silly question, but did you open all the PNGs in PSE? I have that set, and there are two files for each frame, one flat and one shadowed, appearing "curled."
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

8. Quote Originally Posted by dugarner View Post
    This is a silly question, but did you open all the PNGs in PSE? I have that set, and there are two files for each frame, one flat and one shadowed, appearing "curled."

Yes, mjw, as Sarah says, there are two files for each frame. One flat and one shadowed.

I went to that set and tried them out and if you drag the correct frame with a shadow over to your page in PSE, it will have the curled effect you want

For sure the Classic Curled Photo Frames have shadows. Not sure if all the sets that say vintage have a shadow. Check to make sure the vintage frames say curled and flat or shadowed on the preview page. There are many different vintage frames in the store and they may not all be shadowed.

Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

9. Thank you both! You are correct, there are two files for each (I didn't even notice that). I think the issue is that I'm trying to open the curled file into a layout that has a coloured/photo background. The shading disappears. Are these files only supposed to be used on white backgrounds? Again, thank you for your suggestions!

You can use those frames on any sort of background, but the shading may be more obvious, depending on the color of your background.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Yes, Linda is right---I hadn't even thought of that. It took me a while to understand that drop shadows on certain colors of backgrounds were pretty much useless. I even tried messing with the color of the shadows then realized that all shadows will be dark---so there was no reason to make a white shadow on black paper!

Hope you find your groove soon!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Welcome to DD!! So happy to have you here! Love how so many wonderful members of this community have already stepped up to help you out!! Hope you share your finished page with us!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

My very first digi product ever was a freebie frame I had downloaded from somewhere. I didn't even understand the concept of layers/the layerstack. I kept dragging the frame onto my page UNDER the photo....and couldn't figure out why I couldn't see it, since it was supposed to be a FRAME after all! Now it seems so obvious/second nature....I can only laugh at myself! Yet one of the things that I really love about photoshop is that there ALWAYS seems to be something new! I still learn new techniques and ways to do things all the time, which is a huge part of the fun.
    Connie

Yes, I would say it's not showing up so clearly on the darker background. Would love to see your finished layout!
    Jenelle

My Gallery

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif