Thread: OS X Mavericks

OS X Mavericks

I just installed it and see that it now has a tagging capability!

Hmmmmmm maybe I don't need an external software to tag my SB supplies.....

omg I'm so excited!
    aka Sarah

My Tools: 1 Awesome 20" iMac, a Canon Rebel T3i, a Canon G12, and an iPhone 4S
    iPhoto, Aperture, PSE 9, Organizer

Have you been using the tagging? How is that working out? I had tagging alllll figured out with Adobe Bridge and the upgrade to Mavericks killed the indexing of those tags. If I have to start over, may as well go with the Mac native tagging?

I'm interested to hear how the tagging works.
    Terry

Terry's Tales

Gear: Nikon D60
    Software: CS4
    Platform: Mac

I haven't done it yet. As usual, I've been dragging my feet!
    aka Sarah

My Tools: 1 Awesome 20" iMac, a Canon Rebel T3i, a Canon G12, and an iPhone 4S
    iPhoto, Aperture, PSE 9, Organizer

That's interesting. I hadn't thought about Mavericks for tagging. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

I've just started tagging on adobe bridge, but now I'm worried that if I upgrade to Mavericks (which I've been putting off) will make that all a waste of time?
    Newbie Digi Scrapper, Photographer of boys with guitars, Painter, Geek... oh yea and my names Penny

I just upgraded to Mavericks today and did some tagging. ACDSee, you just met your demise. SO easy. Plus my Mac is running way faster.

Liz, Mavericks is my April project. (speaking of ACDSee their 'unsubscribe' feature does not work for emails and it's really starting to work on my last nerve!)
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Liz - I started toying around with it. Would love to hear more about your system. I bought the ACDSee upgrade for my Mac, and it is horrible. Ridiculously slow. I think my Mac can do it better. LMK.

I would love to find out before I invest more time in ACDSee. Can you really tag all your supplies with it??
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

The tagging feature under Mavericks is a new option right next to the view options in Finder. So for example, I ran a search on pngs in Finder, then picked one thing I search for often (string!), and then clicked on the first string png I found, clicked on the tag option and created a new tag. Then went through all the pngs. tagged all the string with the new tag, and bam, now I have string tagged. It took ten minutes. Alphas were super easy because you can select a bunch at a time and tag them.

I used to use Finder searches pretty effectively, but the tags allow you to drill down the search more specifically, and save the more-specific search as a tag. And it doesn't bog down and give you the little spinning ball of SLOW like ACDSee. Love it.

My oh my...of course my dh had no idea of the implications of this feature of Mavericks, if he even noticed/cared about it. If he had, I might have installed it when he did!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

The tagging also incorporated any label colors previously applied and created a new tag with that color. So, I assume that means you can tag with colors or words for categories. Lots of options.

Ok Liz, start on your Tagging Tutorial, 'kay??
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

that sounds very promising
    Anke

My gear:
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

16. My iMac started behaving strange couple months before we installed Mavericks. It's not old, we got it in 2010 as a Christmas present to ourselves and that time my husband loaded it with all the features. About 4-5 months ago it all started with some pink squares popping randomly on the screen, then I installed Mavericks and it turned into a disaster. DH deleted all the junk we didn't use, all kids games are gone(including Minecraft), reinstalled all the programs twice and it didn't help. Right now I can't scrap at all and just buy supplies hoping we might get a new one within a month or 2 or 3 or 4. Looks like we have a faulty video card( no clue what's that) and nothing can't be done. iMac can freeze every couple minutes, making it impossible to do anything. Does anyone have the same issue?

Lena

Lena, if your iMac started behaving strangely before you installed Mavericks, that sounds as if the freezing is not related to Mavericks. Were you already on Mountain Lion with all updates?

Could be a memory issue. 2010 is getting a bit old in computer age! For me when things seem slow or a bit wonky, I always start with Applications, Utilities, Disk Utilities and Verify Permissions and Disk. That will often clean up any situation I've had. Freezing? I'd take mine to the Apple store. If you already know you have a faulty video card, I'd have Apple replace it at the store. It is probably worth going into the store anyhow and seeing if you have a more serious issue or if it's just something the Genius bar can fix. Good luck!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

18. Thank you, Maureen! DH did the steps above, we had Mountain Lion before and it was quite pixilated but didn't freeze every couple minutes. He added 2 external memories but it didn't cure the problem. Obviously new computer is on the way in the nearest future.

Well, I'm glad you asked for assistance because I checked the video card, and MY iMac is one of those that is eligible for the video card replacement!! I just have to get it to the store asap. I missed this recall last year.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/16/apple-...id-2011-imacs/
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Uh oh. I just realized that when I open ACDSee now I can't see my thumbnails. It's only showing the little folded page that says it's either a png or jpeg or whatever file type. This definitely only started after I downloaded Mavericks. I called Apple, and predictably, they said I have to find out from ACDSee whether they are having compatibility issues with Mavericks. I have ACDSee Pro2 in case anyone else needs to know that before they take the Mavericks plunge. Wish me luck getting a live person at ACDSee. Known as the second worst customer service ever, second only to HP.

Well, I wanted to use the new tags in Finder, I just wasn't quite ready to give up all that lovely tagging already done in ACDSee. Groan.

I recall this issue when Mountain Lion ...I think...came out. The way to make ACDSee compatible was to buy the newer version. The company says ACDSee Pro 3 is compatible, only the $89. special ended yesterday. pfffft imho, the company is still, not surprisingly, focused on their Windows customers, and Mac is the stepchild. Otherwise, there would be a ACDSee 17 for Mac at $49. with a $29 upgrade price as it is for Windows.

Liz, I would do what you can to be sure all your tagging is embedded in your files. (I forget the system but googling should help you.) If the tags are embedded, they should show up in any system, godwilling in just the basic file view in Finder?
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

this is just ridiculous. There are too many problems with ACDSee for Mac, that's for sure. I didn't upgrade to Maverick yet, I think I am going to hold off until I hear from you guys
    Anke

My gear:
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Quote Originally Posted by maureenreynolds View Post
    I recall this issue when Mountain Lion ...I think...came out. The way to make ACDSee compatible was to buy the newer version. The company says ACDSee Pro 3 is compatible, only the $89. special ended yesterday. pfffft imho, the company is still, not surprisingly, focused on their Windows customers, and Mac is the stepchild. Otherwise, there would be a ACDSee 17 for Mac at $49. with a $29 upgrade price as it is for Windows.

Liz, I would do what you can to be sure all your tagging is embedded in your files. (I forget the system but googling should help you.) If the tags are embedded, they should show up in any system, godwilling in just the basic file view in Finder?
    I don't think the tags from ACDSee will show up in Finder, but I will make sure they are embedded before doing anything more with ACDSee. Thanks for the reminder!

I just got a Macbook Pro for Christmas and started digi scrapbooking only 2 weeks ago (I know, I know ... I was a hold out) ... Thankfully I came across this post BEFORE I went crazy and started downloading elements, template, papers, etc. I created a folder structure (per another thread) and tagged EVERYTHING that I downloaded. What a lifesaver! There would be no way I could the remember the pretty flower that I got with XXX template and where I saved it ... It's been saving me a lot of time and effort of manually searching through my folders ... or trying to remember ... cuz let's face it ladies, the older we get the less the brain wants to process
    Lisa
    SE Michigan

Camera: Canon T1i
    Lenses: Gotta look at them and let ya know
    Software: PSE 12 on Mac Pro

Quote Originally Posted by midwestwoman View Post
    I just got a Macbook Pro for Christmas and started digi scrapbooking only 2 weeks ago (I know, I know ... I was a hold out) ... Thankfully I came across this post BEFORE I went crazy and started downloading elements, template, papers, etc. I created a folder structure (per another thread) and tagged EVERYTHING that I downloaded. What a lifesaver! There would be no way I could the remember the pretty flower that I got with XXX template and where I saved it ... It's been saving me a lot of time and effort of manually searching through my folders ... or trying to remember ... cuz let's face it ladies, the older we get the less the brain wants to process
    Oh, that is fabulous. You will be so glad you started tagging at the beginning.

So I actually did hear back from ACDSee, and Maureen was correct, I will have to upgrade. But when they told me that, they actually gave me instructions to uninstall my existing version first. I said, um, don't I need to save the existing catalog somewhere first? Oh yeah, that little detail... What kind of customer service tells you to uninstall a software program without saving the content (in this case the database) first? Holy moly.

Well you know my feeling on them... It's totally a shame because you know we were so excited when they finally had a Mac version which I actually won here! The PC version seems to be great and fairly inexpensive. I really don't get it.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5