Thread: PhotoBooks

1. PhotoBooks

I am sure this has been discussed before and I missed it. I have some albums I want to make. I have made seen of them, but used CM. Now I no longer have that and need a new source. Someone mentioned that elements has a create area and wondered if you all make your book there and then send it to another place or how you do your albums. I really need to get a source on this and if I should use create in elements to get it started. I never even paid attention to the create area. Thanks

I think most people here make their layouts (in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements or whatever they chose), then save them as individual jpegs. Save each page as the size you want (eg 8" x 8" at 300dpi or 12" x 12") at a high quality level.

Then you can pick whatever photobook printing service you want and create a book there to be printed and posted to you. Some are easier than others to upload your layouts too. I found Artefact Uprising particularly easy. I usually use Persnickety because I love the quality and the 10" x 10" size they offer. (They don't post internationally though). Blurb is another popular one. Lots of people use Shutterfly although it can be a bit fiddly I think ( you can probably search for threads here -or ask for advice - if you go with them).

Hope that answers your question. I don't know anything about 'create' in elements either :-)

I think "Create" in Elements is just another way of laying out a page. However you make your page you still need to print it.
    Yes, a lot of people use Blurb, Persnickety and Shutterfly.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I'm not sure where you are located but here in the UK I use Photobox. I've had a few books printed by them, both soft cover and hard cover, and I've never been disappointed. I did use Snapfish for my first album simply because I had a discount voucher. After that I discovered Photobox and have remained with them since.

I create my pages in Elements and save jpegs for my books as Lynn has mentioned above.
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

5. I take my usual scrapbook page, flatten it, but do not change the resolution, save it as a jpeg and upload to Mixbook. It is easy and I have had no issues with quality.
    Susan

6. Quote Originally Posted by lizziet5 View Post
    I'm not sure where you are located but here in the UK I use Photobox. I've had a few books printed by them, both soft cover and hard cover, and I've never been disappointed. I did use Snapfish for my first album simply because I had a discount voucher. After that I discovered Photobox and have remained with them since.

I create my pages in Elements and save jpegs for my books as Lynn has mentioned above.
    Lizzie, so glad you mentioned Photobox. Thinking I could use them from here in U.S. and then have the book shipped to family in the U.K. That may be so much less expensive than creating a book from SF, having it mailed to me, then mailing it over to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ejanie View Post
    Lizzie, so glad you mentioned Photobox. Thinking I could use them from here in U.S. and then have the book shipped to family in the U.K. That may be so much less expensive than creating a book from SF, having it mailed to me, then mailing it over to them.
    Yes, check it out with them. Their online help is good and I've found their customer service to be excellent.
    Liz

My gear: Nikon D5000
    Software: PSE 7

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I get mind printed through scrappingsimply.com. I put them in a We R Memory 3 ring binder album. I have had no problems. Scrapping Simply has a sale I think 2x a year (they just had one). I think next will be in September. I buy a prepaid package and get a lot off. I just bought 200 12x12 print credits and saved $190!! I know there are others who get them printed there also.

I really like Photobook America because they print an 11x11 book, which seems to be the perfect size for a bookshelf. With a coupon it is generally about the same as the 10x10 from Shutterfly.
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

Like most of us here, I create my pages in PSE and then upload the 12" large size print (3600 size) to the company I'm getting a book from. I've used Shutterfly, Blurb and Mixbook and been happy with all for the what I got. However, most of my pages are printed at Persnickety and put into D ring binders.

While I've never made a book IN CREATE, I see that the pages are pretty much confined to their 'quickpages'. If that works for you, go for it. Also, I see that while they say the book can be printed on your home printer, I doubt many of us have printers that print 12" pages. I'd say, with the cost of ink and paper, you're better off going through one of the on-line companies with their sales. Persnickety's sale price ends up being $1.49 a page (+ $5. shipping). That is well worth it to me.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5