Thread: shooting silently - no shutter click please!!!!!

1. shooting silently - no shutter click please!!!!!

I am going to my grandson's senior chamber choir Christmas recital tonight. Does anyone know how to keep the shutter from making the clicking noise when a photo is taken? I hate to disturb other people around me when I am taking photos. I have a Canon D50 camera.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

boy I wish I knew, I often run into the same problem when at concerts and such... I wonder if there is a setting...
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

3. I'm not sure that you can, Mollie. Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that the click was the sound of the mirrors moving. I know that you can silence the beep, but I have no idea about the click. Enjoy the concert!
    Susan

4. Thanks girls . . . I've silenced the beep, but can't find a silencer for the click when the photo is taken. I did read that the newer more expensive (or the point and shoots) are able to be silenced1
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens

Mollie...I found this video that shows you how to do it.
    http://vimeo.com/1944802
    Hope it helps!
    Joanne

My Gallery

Camera: Canon 6D
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm
    Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
    PSE 12 on a PC

Mollie, I have a Canon D40 and was able to silence the click so I know it can be done, just don't remember how!!!! I'm sorry!
    Lynn (also known as Lynnie!)

7. Thanks again!!! Joanne . . . your link sounds promising . . . I just can't make the audio work. Still working on doing so before we have to leave!! fingers crossed!!!
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

That's quite a nice little demo, Joanne. I'm not sure what the difference is between the options.
    Yes, the mirror makes quite a bit of noise.
    My understanding is that if you're in live view the mirror is already up so it will make less noise.
    The other noise is the shutters. Not much you can do about those!

The only suggestion I can make is to use an iPhone!
    Camera: Canon 7D and Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses: Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

9. Well . . . we just got home from the concert . . . grandson, was wonderful!!!

I took several photos . . . nothing to write home about. He is tall and was on back riser . . . I could get a good view of him, so maybe there is at least one shot of him singing his heart out! Beautiful Christmas songs & hymns!!! Can't believe that this is his last Chamber Choir performance. Makes me a bit sad . . . did shed a few tears when the seniors sang Away in a Manger.

Thanks for your suggestions about the clicks . . . I will try again to get the audio work on the link from Joanne.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery