Thread: Camera suggestions for a child

Hybrid View

Camera suggestions for a child

My nine year old granddaughter is very interested in photography. Whenever we are together she begs to use my camera and has a pretty good eye.
    She and her family are going to Hawaii for Christmas so I think a camera would be a great gift for her. Do any of you have any suggestions for a camera for her? I want it to take good quality pictures, be easy to operate and easy to hold and, or course, durable and not TOO expensive! I'm going to do some research but thought this might be the best place to come for suggestions from people with experience! Thanks a bunch!
    Lynn (also known as Lynnie!)

2. For point and shoot cameras, I have always liked and purchased cameras by Sony.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

Since she's going to the beach, would a GoPro be a good idea?
    There are quite a few other waterproof point&shoots. I just bought the Olympus (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_digital.html) and it's a terrific robust camera, but there are cheaper ones around.
    It is a challenge to find a point&shoot that can beat an iPhone!
    This article might give you some other ideas: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/515...meras-for-kids
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

We had different point & shoot cameras in the last couple of years and were never really happy with it. We recently bought a Nikon S9500 and finally have the idea of having a good P&S camera. I don't know about your budget, but here in the Netherlands it wasn't really expensive compared with other P&S cameras. The only thing I miss is the fact you can't do manual settings. But for that I have my DSLR.

That is such a tough one. I always find myself disappointed with my p&s camera I find the best info reading customer reviews on Amazon. My daughter still borrows mine but I am sure that isn't going to work for long

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

My mom just got Rilyn a Samsung from Walmart. It was about $200, but so far it's been good for her. I wouldn't call it "durable" but she is learning how to use and care for a good camera. I will look up the model tomorrow
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

It's probably not the answer you want but all of my grandchildren got their photo starts with hand me down iPhones, even before they were able to have the phone connected. However, my former workmate, whose husband is semi-pro photographer, uses the Canon Elph her dh got her.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5