Thread: Photographers beware!..... I am sick...

Photographers beware!..... I am sick...

I have never had this happen before, and I am just sick about it......

We went on our summer vacation to the Southwestern US States, and I took over 1,000 pix. Amazing trip... BTW....

Our first few days we were in Vegas, then drove to the Grand Canyon and we stayed there for a few days. I have several different size compact flashes for my camera, (upgraded the sizes, as I've upgraded the camera over the years) and I had taken quite a few photos and filled up a couple of cards, so I decided to upload them to my hubby's iPad one night, to free up some room. I hadn't filled all my cards, but I just thought I'd free up some space while I had the chance.

Anyway, I don't know when it happened... or where.... either downloading to the iPad, or to my computer when we got home, but somehow when downloading my photo from several different cards, it repeated the same Image # and at some point they overrode each other and deleted my photos of our hike into the Grand Canyon. That's the only thing we could deduce that could have happened..... and I am baffled .... and sick!! I have never had that happen before... and have used several of my cards on numerous occasions, and trips.

After reading iUma's post on her Compact Flash Card failure and everyone's posts on things to try, we even tried a photo retrieval program. We recovered all kinds of past photos, but not those ones.... Of course it was everyone's most favourite things that we did on our trip....

Just wondered if this has as happened to anyone else?

Oh, no Jane!! That is the pits!
    My Canon camera cycles through photo numbers every 5000 shots.
    I think my camera keeps track of the image number even if I switch cards (but I rarely do). Does that sound right?
    What sort of camera were you using?
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Oh no, what a horrible thing to happen - and one of my big fears too. So sorry it had to be the favorite shots too :-(

I know. It totally sucks. and it always happens on the times that are critical. For my trip to India I am just going to take a dozen cards and not do ANYTHING with them until I get home. I am pretty sure what happened to my card was an overactive effort to jam too many images onto a card that was almost full using a battery that was almost dead. WILL NOT BE REPEATED.

There was no recovery for my images ...except putting those grandkids BACK on the boat and taking the photo again. Actually....I had taken SOME with my iphone5 and some with the ipad and they were good.

I am sorry you lost your Grand Canyon images. Only be glad that true visual memory is actually pretty good. Especially when everybody had fun. It's what's in the heart that really lasts anyway. Isn't that why we travel?
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

Retired Creative Team Member and always family

Oh my gosh - that makes me sick - I cannot imagine how you feel. We are going on vacation next month and I, of course, will be using my DSLR, but I also plan on taking some with my iPhone just in case. I really am so sorry.
    My Camera: Nikon D700
    My Software: Adobe CS5
    My Computer Platform: PC

That's just awful, Jane. Usually before we do a big trip, I get the manual out and refresh my memory on how to set the counter back to zero. Mine goes to 9999 before it starts over, and I know I'm safe then.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Oh my goodness...I'm sick for you! So sorry that happened. Perhaps it's a good excuse for another trip to the Grand Canyon.

Ooh, I just googled and found it isn't as straight-forward as I thought. There's a setting in the camera and if cards already have images on them the camera jumps all around with it's file numbering.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1019659
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Oh that is terrible news. I would "die" too.
    my blog
    my gallery

Tools of the trade :
    Nikon chick D700 D200 D70
    lenses : 70-200;18-70 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 18-200 Flashing chick SB800
    macbookpro chick
    The chick needs - Nikon 24-70 2.8 ed & nikon 70-200 !

Oh no! How awful. I would freak out! I wish I was tech savvy and had answers for you!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

That's awful Jane! Especially when it was a favorite part of the trip! Sorry, I have no answers for you though, I've never had anything like that happen.
    Jane

That's terrible, Jane, you must be heartsick over it! I'm no techie, so I would have had no idea. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Esther, thanks so much for looking that up for me, I haven't had a chance to check out that forum, but I will.

I have a Canon 7D camera.

Linda and Esther, I have no idea what # my camera goes up to, and starts to recycle them, but I sure will find out now!!
    Karen, that's what I said as well..... we had said (even before that happened, that we would definitely be back) and instead of crying, I had to make myself feel better somehow....
    "Only be glad that true visual memory is actually pretty good. Especially when everybody had fun. It's what's in the heart that really lasts anyway. Isn't that why we travel?" So true Uma, but I tell my kids my memory isn't that good anymore, that's why I take so many pix! LOL

Thanks girls, well you live and learn.... and if you can spare someone else the heartache in the meantime, all the better!

How heartbreaking!! Definitely need to plan a "do-over"!!
    Brenda - wife, mother, animal lover!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

omg... I'm sorry to hear this, Jane! I have no idea how my camera numbers things and I don't really keep track. Time to find out a bit more about it!
    LoriS

My Gallery

that is really sickening! I had never paid attention to the numbers either....
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

So sorry this happened to you!! I would be heart sick and crying too!! I have no idea about my camera numbers either but will be checking into that too!!

18. I am so sorry this has happened to you, Jane. I know that you are just sick. I know that I would be devastated. I have always wondered about the overlapping image numbers . . . I have no idea whether I have lost photos this way or not.

Also, wondering if there is a way to have our camera add the date number to the IMG. number when taking the photos. Wouldn't that be wonderful! It would definitely remedy having IMG.2378 from 2013 erase IMG.2378 from 2010!!!

I didn't know that I could reset my camera to begin the sequence when beginning a trip. Thanks for that tip Linda!!

Guess you will need a repeat of your trip!!! New photos to go with new memories and the old memories too.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac