Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project LifeŽ Chat With Ali Edwards

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cheshire View Post
    How would you suggest I tackle it if I wanted to catch up on the year having only done a few months worth so far.
    Good question! I think the easiest thing to do would be to simply do a two-page spread for each month with the highlights (less photos, less money ). And then start with now if you wanted to do it weekly. You could also always do less photos and more journaling as a way to document without the expense of photos.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tlcd1961 View Post
    Thanks for the freebie, Ali! I always love your products. I also want to say again how much I am enjoying Hello Story. It is an awesome class. I am behind, but I am taking the time to really enjoy each lesson and think about the stories I want to tell. Thank you so much for all of your inspiration!
    Tammy
    Thank you!

3. Thanks for the inspiration, Ali. Love to see what others do, too! I just need to find the time to keep it up regularly!

4. Quote Originally Posted by wrigdann View Post
    Ali your PL is AMAZING!!! you said you like it best when you write down your thoughts as they are happening. Does that mean you pre design your pages (already have the cards in the pockets) or do you have a stack of cards just handy for this?? I am still trying to get a routine down that works best for me.. having some of that work done as it happens seem like a great idea but I get so worked up about the design of the page that I think by the end of the week I would change my mind about what card I wrote on that I would end up re-writing it anyway??
    In the past when I've had things set up on a counter in my kitchen I've simply had a deck of the cards there and waiting for my to write something on them. I don't pre-plan and to be honest I really don't think much about the design as a whole. I know some people are super conscious of wanting to make it all "go-together" but that's not really something I think about. I'm more concerned with just getting photos I love and words about our week into the pockets - it always ends up working out just fine. I guess I look at it as focusing on each pocket (and sometimes all it gets is a photo without any decoration) as a design in-and-of-itself and go from there .

5. Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMae View Post
    I keep wanting to start PL but remember my failure halfway through Project 365!! Thanks so much for the freebie and the keeping it simple ideas!
    One thing to keep in mind is it doesn't have to be a daily (or weekly or monthly or anything) project. It's simply another way to document our lives.

6. Quote Originally Posted by beehive50 View Post
    I love the idea of PL but have yet to jump in all the way... my intentions are good... I actually have journaled (just a doc in Word) every single day and taken photos (not every single day... LOL) but have yet to marry the two. I think it's just kind of daunting to me now, to have "catch up". Ali, thanks for permission to (be like Nike!) and 'just do it'... on my own time, my own way... hmmmm... maybe I should start my first PL layout today...
    DUDE! The fact that you've journaled something every single day is huge. Awesome.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmom View Post
    I just purchased one of Becky's kits ... I like the simplicity of Project Life; & those journal cards are so cute! I've done traditional scrapbooking, but am looking forward to trying this simplier approach. I have a 2-year-old granddaughter & I hope to get started on an album to record the moments we have together. Do you create theme albums? or just do yours chronologically? Thanks for the freebie!
    Right now I just do annual/chronological albums using Project Life.

I do other projects (December Daily, Week In The Life, travel albums) that are theme-based. I have content for about three different travel albums that need to be put together and I plan to use smaller albums with divided page protectors.

8. Quote Originally Posted by OKate View Post
    I'm not sure about PL. Not sure if it's right for me. I don't have any kids and work from home, so not sure how interesting my daily life is or even if I would want to document it.
    I totally get that sentiment. I think the main thing to remember is that it doesn't have to be a daily thing. And you can take ideas from it - specifically the pocket pages - and incorporate them into other scrapbooking you might do.

I'd encourage you to take the time to document your daily life at least occasionally. Things change and you never know what might be different a week, month or year from now. It's pretty amazing to be able to look back and see how your life evolves.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ali Edwards View Post
    Good question! I think the easiest thing to do would be to simply do a two-page spread for each month with the highlights (less photos, less money ). And then start with now if you wanted to do it weekly. You could also always do less photos and more journaling as a way to document without the expense of photos.
    I totally agree and am doing this now with 2012 and 2013 myself!

10. Hello Ali! Thanks for the freebies today! I have been doing PL for almost two years now and still feel like I am finding my groove. I have accumulated a lot of stuff in that time but I find my style growing more simple and using even less of it. It does make me feel a little wasteful, but I am really enjoying the extra white space right now.

11. Thanks Ali for making scrapbooking more fun for me. I love your philosophy on focusing on the story. I am an avid participant of December Daily, Week in the Life and one year of Project Life binder/card format and two years digital photobook. It is with your inspiration that I am able to document these events. Love your work and look forward to many more years of memory keeping.

12. Thanks for the freebie. I am new to PL. Looking forward to working on it with my kids. I stress about taking all the pics at sporting events, etc, that I miss the little moments. Hoping that PL helps me to capture the things I really want to remember.

13. Quote Originally Posted by nirupama View Post
    Hello Ali! Thanks for the freebies today! I have been doing PL for almost two years now and still feel like I am finding my groove. I have accumulated a lot of stuff in that time but I find my style growing more simple and using even less of it. It does make me feel a little wasteful, but I am really enjoying the extra white space right now.
    I totally get this .

14. Quote Originally Posted by AZmom21 View Post
    Thanks Ali for making scrapbooking more fun for me. I love your philosophy on focusing on the story. I am an avid participant of December Daily, Week in the Life and one year of Project Life binder/card format and two years digital photobook. It is with your inspiration that I am able to document these events. Love your work and look forward to many more years of memory keeping.
    Thank you - really appreciate that.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Ali Edwards View Post
    I totally get that sentiment. I think the main thing to remember is that it doesn't have to be a daily thing. And you can take ideas from it - specifically the pocket pages - and incorporate them into other scrapbooking you might do.

I'd encourage you to take the time to document your daily life at least occasionally. Things change and you never know what might be different a week, month or year from now. It's pretty amazing to be able to look back and see how your life evolves.

Thanks for your encouragement Ali. I do take ideas from the PL world. My DH & I travel a lot and I'm a serious pack rat when it comes to picking up things on our travels - the pocket pages work well to hold all my stuff. And I do journal every day but don't take daily or weekly photos.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Ali Edwards View Post
    I totally get this .
    Thanks Ali

17. I've pretty much gone the whole gamut from paper scrapping back when I started in 2000, to full digital in 2004 and now I'm almost solely a digital Project Life scrapper (although I do a digital layout now and then, it's mostly for my own creative expression). Project Life has helped me to get our lives into albums and my teenagers (well, the girls) fight over who gets to look at the albums first when my bi-monthly Persnickety Prints order arrives.

This really spoke to me:

Repeat the same journal card (or a variation of it) all the way across the pockets for a cohesive look. It?s also a great way to tell longer stories by spreading them across the journal cards.
    I'm using Ali's numbered cards every week so that I know which week it is (number-wise... I don't date anything) and also because it provides that continuity across the album. I keep them in black and white and then add 2 more black and white cards to continue that album continuity. I also simply cannot do a Project Life layout without adding Ali's word art. I have so much (and plan to go stock up on more) and I really feel her words make my photos come to life. Thanks for all the great word art, Ali, and all the inspiration to help me tell the stories!

I love PL. Since I started up with PL, I gave up on my blog and journaling. PL is how I document my life and the lives of my kiddos. They love flipping through my 2012 album when I get it out. I think when I print off my 2013, i need to have them in page protectors so they can flip through it more often!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

19. A journal aid I've not seen mentioned is 'Oh Life'. You set up a free account (or a paid one for extras) and set a frequency to receive emails prompting you to write something about your day. It's easy because you can just reply to the email prompt with your thoughts and it is all stored and organized by month on their site.

This is my 3rd or 4th year doing Project Life. I usually sit down and approach it a few times a month. I use almost exclusively design A page protectors, sketch out the format and start making notes in the boxes for what I plan to put in each one - journal (referring back to Oh Life, of course!), photo, or ephemera. This has worked well for me, especially since I do not print at home. I just put my sketch with each week and when I get my photos from the printer I slip them in.

20. Here's another tip for today:

There's definitely a place for longer stories in Project Life. Sometimes it's easy to just do short, quick stories but if you want to include more words an insert is a great option. When I want to include a longer story I like to use a 6x12 layered template.

Check out a post I wrote that includes a layered template tutorial for working with 6x12 templates here.

That 6x12 layered template set is available here: Words & Photos 6x12 Layered Templates. And for a specific story starter check out my 6x12 You Should Know Layered Templates.

Here's an example:

AE_PL2012_WK1_both-500x251.jpg

21. Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Charles View Post
    TI use almost exclusively design A page protectors, sketch out the format and start making notes in the boxes for what I plan to put in each one - journal (referring back to Oh Life, of course!), photo, or ephemera. This has worked well for me, especially since I do not print at home. I just put my sketch with each week and when I get my photos from the printer I slip them in.
    I'm definitely a fan of using the same set of foundation page protectors each week.

22. Quote Originally Posted by Ali Edwards View Post
    Here's another one of my favorite tips:

Repeat the same journal card (or a variation of it) all the way across the pockets for a cohesive look. It?s also a great way to tell longer stories by spreading them across the journal cards.

Here's an example of this: Week 22

I also love the idea of doing a number sequence - like a 1-7 using these 3x4 Number Cards.
    Seeing so many cute journal cards on the internet is part of what attracted me to PL. So easy to take a journal card & slide it into one of those pockets; no trying to decide how to place it on a scrapbook page!
    I appreciate your tip ~ so often I have more to say, than what will fit one small journal card.

23. This is my second year of PL and I'm way more "chill" about it than last year. I'm totally happy if I just do a one page spread for a week. I'm really grateful for PL because little did I know that I'd be going through breast cancer and chemo this year. Having PL has kept me documenting this journey along the way and I know in the future I'll look back and be grateful that I documented this whole process. Scrapbooking has been a real "respite" for me during this time. I have to say Ali that your word art is something that I constantly go back to as an easy addition to my PL and scrap pages. I keep coming back for more. Btw, a big shout out for your Hello Story class. I have LOVED it! Years ago I went to your "Today I" class and "I Am" class at a scrapbook weekend in Virginia. I have taken many of your classes and liked them all but Hello Story has been beyond amazing. I've loved watching you go through your thought process. This by far has been my favorite class. Thanks.
    Kathleen

also known as Katemac

24. Quote Originally Posted by kdif View Post
    This is my second year of PL and I'm way more "chill" about it than last year. I'm totally happy if I just do a one page spread for a week. I'm really grateful for PL because little did I know that I'd be going through breast cancer and chemo this year. Having PL has kept me documenting this journey along the way and I know in the future I'll look back and be grateful that I documented this whole process. Scrapbooking has been a real "respite" for me during this time. I have to say Ali that your word art is something that I constantly go back to as an easy addition to my PL and scrap pages. I keep coming back for more. Btw, a big shout out for your Hello Story class. I have LOVED it! Years ago I went to your "Today I" class and "I Am" class at a scrapbook weekend in Virginia. I have taken many of your classes and liked them all but Hello Story has been beyond amazing. I've loved watching you go through your thought process. This by far has been my favorite class. Thanks.
    Thank you so much and I wish you all the best . I definitely believe that scrapbooking/memory keeping/project life has been a lifeline for me as I went through my divorce. So much of it for me is a practice of gratitude.

I've been doing PL for a few years now. It satisfies my urge for chronology (and takes the pressure off trying to 'keep up' in my traditional scrapboooking pages). I decided when I started PL that I would 'embrace imperfection'. I don't worry about restricting a week to a double page, some weeks are 4 or 5 pages, sometimes a few weeks will fill two. Until 2013 all of the photos were SOOC. (Now that I'm using iphone more I've started to do some photo editing.) I have yet to find my style groove but I'm having fun exploring. I love Ali's (and Katie's) and Cathy Z's projects.

26. Hi Everyone.... your not going to believe where I've been today.... I got to go to an OHIO State football game... I'll scrap and post next week Mamaw turns 91 tomorrow so we have company...
    I'll have to read everyones comments tomorrow!!!!

thanks for the freebie
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

27. I do like the idea of longer stories, because I think I would rather document how I feel rather than what I did or what was going on with the family. I think I might see this a good way to start, since I'm already doing a daily written journal. This has been a really interesting forum - usually I'm just a lurker, but I really love Ali's work so thought I might chime in a bit.

Such a big fan of your designs & work Ali! I have followed you since clear back in my paper scrapping days and now follow you here! I am doing PL digitally this year for the first time! I must say I am behind about 10-12 weeks but have journaled in Word each day and have all my pictures...just need to get them on a page! Thank you for the freebie and for the tips!

A big fan too Ali, and I love how you keep it simple and real!! I really need to adopt the KISS approach, as I was doing really well up until about April and all hell broke lose at work, so I don't think I've done a page since Easter.... although like Debi, I have all/most of my journaling done and most photos, but the one thing I've allowed myself this year with PL,
    (to help myself motivated & less stressed) is to not worry if I don't have a photo a day. Sometimes it's 2-3 a week, sometimes its 9-10, and sometimes I grab them from the internet.... no big deal....

I tend to be a heavy journaler, so I LOVE your idea of the 6x12 insert, for a specific story!! Where do you find those pocket pages and who makes them?

How fun Debbie, happy birthday to Mamaw!

30. Ali .... I'm a huge fan of yours too.... from my paper scrapbooking days....I have one of your books.... little did I know I'd be getting your stuff when I started digital scrapbooking

Thanks a lot I'll read all the fantastic tips tomorrow!!!
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast