Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project LifeŽ Chat With Ali Edwards

1. Project LifeŽ Chat With Ali Edwards

Morning everyone! Happy Saturday!

I'll be here on and off today with some of my favorite Project Life/pocket-style scrapbooking tips and I'm inviting you to share yours along the way. I'd love to see your favorite Project Life-style pages or tips - feel free to share them on this thread. It's such an awesome way to get stories told!

AEdwards_RealLifeJournalCardFreebie_PREV1.jpg

I've got a 3x4 journal card freebie to share with you today

This chat has ended and the freebie is no longer available.

And, at the end of the day I'll choose a random participant from this thread to win a $10 gift certificate to the shop.

Note: event participation is not included in the challenge reward program

2. Hey Babe!

3. The first tip I want to share today, and the one I come back to again and again in almost all my projects (and life - ha), is this:

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm guilty of this often. I put things off - like getting caught up because I think it's going to take too long - or I take way too long to decide which card I'm going to use for this or that pocket when in reality either one would be just fine.

For Project LifeŽ this means letting go of the feeling that I need to get everything in my life in those pockets. I do week-at-a-glance over two pages and really try to keep it simple - most of the time for me that means photos in the 4x6 pockets (pretty standard for me to do that) and journal cards and/or extra photos in the 3x4 pockets. That system has worked really well for me the last few years.

You can check out my Project LifeŽ archives here - I use lots of digital elements added to my photos and printable journaling cards that you can find here at Designer Digitals.

Hi Ali! I love your PL and will enjoy stopping by from time to time today to hear your advice!

5. Can't wait to see what is shared here!
    kelly
    Louisburg, KS

my blog

I spent a few hours last night trying to catch up on my PL for this year! Amazing how much gets accomplished when you K.I.S.S
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

7. I love the idea of it and totally can see the value of it. What's your secret to staying organized? Printing at home?

8. What's your secret to staying organized? Printing at home?
    Printing at home is pretty huge for me. I love that Epson Picturemate Show printer for all my 4x6 photos. It's easy for me to add my word art in Photoshop and then print and stick it in the pockets (okay, I round the corners first because I still really like that look). Some days I print the photo for that day as soon as I take it and other times I wait until the end of the week (or the next time I have time to work on it).

I've been using yellow sticky notes lately to note what I want to add to a journal card if I don't have time that minute to write down the journaling. Not sure this is really very effective though because it's like doing it twice (writing it once on the sticky note and then again on the journal card). It is what it is right now - ha!

My favorite way to do it is to have it down on my kitchen counter and just jot things down directly onto the cards and then put them in the pockets. I got away from that when I got really busy recently and need to get into that routine again. I feel like those in-the-moment or just-after stories are my favorite (vs. what I remember happening later in the week).

Good morning Ali! Thank you so much for the fabulous freebie! I tend to over think and try to second guess a lot!
    Betty Jo

My Gallery TFL
    Software: Adobe Photosho CS5

Good afternoon! I understand what you are saying - Simplicity is the ultimate sophisticacion, Leonardo da Vinci.

I love your PL style Ali! I'm a few weeks behind on mine. Hopefully this chat will motivate me to start playing catch up! there are several people here at DD that inspire me with their PL! Lisa Pate, Amy Mallory, Nancy, Heather, I'm sure I'm missing a few!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I've been working on my very first PL this year. I've put a little different twist on it since I don't have much of a life - LOL!!! I've really enjoyed doing it and get a little behind. But I'm doing it more as a project by the month than by the day. I love your great ideas! Thanks for the freebie!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Edwards View Post
    I've been using yellow sticky notes lately to note what I want to add to a journal card if I don't have time that minute to write down the journaling. Not sure this is really very effective though because it's like doing it twice (writing it once on the sticky note and then again on the journal card). It is what it is right now - ha!
    I use post-it notes as well! I have them right in front of my computer. On the top of the note I wrote "week xx" followed by the dates of the week. Then down the side I have Sun-Sat and I write down the days happenings.

14. I always intend on doing PL every year and I've yet to keep up, something always gets in the way! Not having printing ink for at home printer, not having money to send off to an online company. The time etc. How would you suggest I tackle it if I wanted to catch up on the year having only done a few months worth so far.

15. Thanks for the freebie, Ali! I always love your products. I also want to say again how much I am enjoying Hello Story. It is an awesome class. I am behind, but I am taking the time to really enjoy each lesson and think about the stories I want to tell. Thank you so much for all of your inspiration!
    Tammy

16. Ali your PL is AMAZING!!! you said you like it best when you write down your thoughts as they are happening. Does that mean you pre design your pages (already have the cards in the pockets) or do you have a stack of cards just handy for this?? I am still trying to get a routine down that works best for me.. having some of that work done as it happens seem like a great idea but I get so worked up about the design of the page that I think by the end of the week I would change my mind about what card I wrote on that I would end up re-writing it anyway??

Hi Ali! I have not jumped on the PL wagon but my hat's off to all of you who do PL! I love seeing the pages in the
    gallery, all so inspiring! One day soon, I tell myself Thanks for the freebie! I'm off to check your PL archives.
    Sylvia

I keep wanting to start PL but remember my failure halfway through Project 365!! Thanks so much for the freebie and the keeping it simple ideas!
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by KimR+ View Post
    I use post-it notes as well! I have them right in front of my computer. On the top of the note I wrote "week xx" followed by the dates of the week. Then down the side I have Sun-Sat and I write down the days happenings.
    You're too kind, Kim! Your PL pages are awesome! I have a calendar beside my desk that has all of our scheduled activities on it and if something crops up that wasn't scheduled, I jot it on there too! I'm old school I guess, I like a calendar out and present where I can see it. I think my son-in-law gets frustrated with me that I don't want to use the automated calendar reminders he sends me, lol! I like to jot down conversations too. I find if I don't leave myself a note I forget about it. I just have scratch paper beside my computer for that kind of thing. If you saw my desk, you'd probably be appalled at all the paper!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Beck View Post
    You're too kind, Kim! Your PL pages are awesome!
    I just tell it like I see it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Beck View Post
    I think my son-in-law gets frustrated with me that I don't want to use the automated calendar reminders he sends me, lol!
    One of the features I really admire about the iPhone is how Keith and I can sync our calendars!! He also has his work calendar on there, but I've blocked that one

I've used DayOne for journaling throughout the day - which is often spent at the computer. If I don't recall something and I don't have a photo of it, an entry in Day One, or an event on iCal, I joke that it didn't happen!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

22. I try to write down things that happen each day on digi cards in PSE and save them with my pics. Then, when I pull everything up to put pages together, my notes are right there!

23. I use sticky notes too, because I can be fast and messy before I forget what I want to say, then later I can type it or write it neatly.

I love the idea of PL but have yet to jump in all the way... my intentions are good... I actually have journaled (just a doc in Word) every single day and taken photos (not every single day... LOL) but have yet to marry the two. I think it's just kind of daunting to me now, to have "catch up". Ali, thanks for permission to (be like Nike!) and 'just do it'... on my own time, my own way... hmmmm... maybe I should start my first PL layout today...
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

25. I'm trying to journal into DayOne or I just use the photos to draw out my stories.

26. I just purchased one of Becky's kits ... I like the simplicity of Project Life; & those journal cards are so cute! I've done traditional scrapbooking, but am looking forward to trying this simplier approach. I have a 2-year-old granddaughter & I hope to get started on an album to record the moments we have together. Do you create theme albums? or just do yours chronologically? Thanks for the freebie!

Thanks for the freebie, Ali! Wow, you hit the nail on the head for me, I so tend to make scrapping more complicated than it should be!! Such wonderful advice, thanks!!!

28. Here's another one of my favorite tips:

Repeat the same journal card (or a variation of it) all the way across the pockets for a cohesive look. It?s also a great way to tell longer stories by spreading them across the journal cards.

Here's an example of this: Week 22

I also love the idea of doing a number sequence - like a 1-7 using these 3x4 Number Cards.

29. I'm not sure about PL. Not sure if it's right for me. I don't have any kids and work from home, so not sure how interesting my daily life is or even if I would want to document it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast