Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Design + Type Talk with Cathy Zielske

Quote Originally Posted by bbe View Post
    Thanks for this freebie package Cathy. I loved your example page and I'm definitely going to play with this today sometime. Weekends are my dedicated play time.
    Weekends are good for play! Happy scrapbooking!

Quote Originally Posted by sandsock View Post
    Okay, really busy today and now totally distracted by fonts!!!! Got 2 new ones, thanks Cathy! I first encountered the writing on photos from a template by Katie. I loved it, even though I often forget to use it. Will try it again. Thank you so much for the freebie.
    Yes! Distraction by fonts. A good thing!
    Visit My Blog

Camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: Canon 24-70mm 2.8L; Canon 50mm f 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5
    Platform: Mac
    Sign: Pisces

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Bond7 View Post
    Hi Cathy, ladies! I am a fan too Cathy, of your clean, graphic style and have loved watching your kids grow up before our eyes. I am a font junkie too....never heard of font squirrel though, will have to check that out....
    Do! It's really a great site. And thanks for your kind words. It's making me feel like life is flying by right now, the fact that I've been sharing pages about my oldest since she was 7. Gulp. Off to college next year, she is. How did that happen?
    Visit My Blog

Hi Cathy! I love your style and products! Thanks for the freebie!

I wanted to share something I'm working on today. My nephew is getting married next year and they asked me if I'd help them design a save the date card. They gave me a photo and told me they wanted an outline of Oregon (where they are going to get hitched.)
    Other than that, I had free reign. We are still working on the content of the card but I wanted to share it and tell you a bit about my process. First, the card:

MM_SaveTheDate.jpg

The image was a sepia toned shot. So I decided to use a deep brown and red for the color. Often when I am designing, I start out very simply. This began with just using the sans serif font (Bariol, another partially free font that I love!) But it needed to have a little bit of whimsy, so I used Thirsty Script for the quote.

Then it was just a matter of creating some visual hierarchy with both font size and color.

It's really a very simple approach. One part of the design dominates (the quote); the rest of it supports and informs (the details).

Plus, adding the three pops of red (heart+wonderfu+matt&megan) adds a connector that is visually interesting.

Another thing I do a lot in type is spacing out my text. This is super easy to do in Photoshop via custom kerning. Not as controllable in PSE, however. In PSE, I have resorted to simply adding a space between each letter to achieve the same effect.

Just wanted to share a current work in progress. This is stuff I don't get to share on my blog because it's not really scrapbook related.
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Beck View Post
    Hi Cathy! I love your style and products! Thanks for the freebie!
    You are welcome, Nancy!
    Visit My Blog

7. Good morning all. I'm from NW Pennsylvania, where at the moment it is cold and raining. Good day to stay in and chat!

Thank you for the freebie Cathy! Love your style, photos are important but so is the journaling and your style does not detract one from the other.

Cathy, I use Nexus Fonts and make my own folders to organize them.

8. Hi Cathy, I love your style and even took your BPC Type class. I have kind of a design question. I went on a trip with a friend and I have lots of photos, but she sketches and so I also have lots of wonderful sketches. I want to make us photo books to remember our trip by, but I am not sure how to incorporate the sketches in the book other than to scan and include like a photo. Any ideas? I want it to look clean and simple and to have the sketches and the photos look like they go together, if you know what I mean. The sketches will just be this black and white square on the page if I just scan and add as a photo....right?

9. lovelovelove the colors in your save-the-date project. How do you go about finding colors that coordinate? Sometimes I will go to colorschemer gallery or a similar local. I find that the correct shade of a color will sometimes escape me.

10. Oh! I just saw your save the date card and see that possibly I could incorporate the sketches by coloring them so that they match the photos.

11. Quote Originally Posted by TerriVB View Post
    Oh man--found this too late to do a page--but couldn't find them in the gallery...Thanks for the freebie--and thanks for still being in the scrapbook world and getting my scrapping mojo back in gear!!!

Terri
    Terri, I believe you have all day to complete a page for Cathy's challenge.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

Love that you shared this save the date card for your nephew with us and tell us the process.

Good morning Cathy! Thank you so much for the awesome freebie. And I love the Save The Date card. The pops of red add some much interest.
    Betty Jo

My Gallery TFL
    Software: Adobe Photosho CS5

Hi Everyone! Oooh more font distractions!! I love Fontsquirrel too! Havent been there in a while, I'm off to go see whats new Cant wait to see everyone Typographic pages
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

15. Hi Cathy!
    Thanks for sharing the save the date you're working on; it's really cool! I'm sure a lot of your blog readers would agree that seeing projects like that are just as fun to read about as scrap projects! My love of scrapbooking led me to buy PSE and i've now used it to make bday invitations, save the dates for my brother, his wedding programs, and a couple other projects. -brandy-

PS - I need to add that your Ten Tips for Better Type class was great last yr and it really helped me do all these projects I didnt know about kerning and leading before that!

Quote Originally Posted by vanguardgator View Post
    Good morning Cathy! First off, I have been a big fan of yours since taking your 10 Tips for Better Type class a while back. Your DD templates and word art are always among my favorite go-to items

I love the clean lines of the Avenir font. Quick question to see what your recommendation is for purchasing it. Searching the web, I see there are many varieties/weights of Avenir (35, 45, Light, Oblique, Roman, etc). If one was going to buy just one Avenir font, which one do you think is the best to start with or do you use the most?

I look forward to checking back on this thread throughout the day, and thank you for the awesome freebie! Best, Heather
    I use Avenir Roman and Heavy the most. Roman is what I use for much of my journaling. The Heavy just gives you that really nice bold weight.
    Visit My Blog

I'll have to check out Nexus Fonts.
    Visit My Blog

Absolutely! That would be the best way to go. And you can include scanned sketches and still make it clean and simple. What about using a sketch for one full page image? That could look cool, next to a page of photot.
    Visit My Blog

I am very conservative with color. Truly. I chose the deep brown by using my eyedropper tool, click on the photo's darker areas, and adjusting slightly. : ) Often, my photos and my eyedropper tool are the way I get the colors for my layouts!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by digigrandma View Post
    Terri, I believe you have all day to complete a page for Cathy's challenge.
    Yes! You have all day!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by angelvanity View Post
    Hi Cathy!
    Thanks for sharing the save the date you're working on; it's really cool! I'm sure a lot of your blog readers would agree that seeing projects like that are just as fun to read about as scrap projects! My love of scrapbooking led me to buy PSE and i've now used it to make bday invitations, save the dates for my brother, his wedding programs, and a couple other projects. -brandy-
    I think it's amazing how much scrapbookers end up learning about design. Truly! One of the reasons I feel so passionate about sharing ideas!
    Visit My Blog

22. Cool--I just finished using one of Cathy's great template!!!
    I took the BPC Clean and Simple this spring--but didn't keep up with the assignments--but came away so inspired to get back into scrapping.
    I posted the layout in the gallery--but not sure how to link back here.
    Used a template from CZ, papers by Kathy P and Arial font.

Thanks again Cathy for being such a great teacher!!

Another example of Avenir in action:

SchoolsOut.jpg

This template comes with Arial, I believe, as the core font. But you could use the Sophia font I linked earlier in it's place. Or, any simple sans serif face. I often will use the same font for the title and the journaling. It creates a seamless font harmony. However here, I used Avenir Roman for the headline, and Medium for the body. I felt it needed a bump in weight for the journaling because it was white text over a photo.

Find this template here.
    Visit My Blog

Hi Cathy - I always like your clean uncluttered style. I can start out that way but end up with "stuff"!! I need to practice "clean" and minimal distractions! Thanks for the freebie and link to a new font site (gee I love fonts!!)

I'll be in and out today - I do have a few of those mundane things I must do!!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon

Hello Cathy! Late afternoon here, just taking a break during a ludicrously busy day (prep school open day this morning, engagement party this evening). Thanks for the freebie - I am also a font fanatic (you should see my Pinterest board) and got Penultimate the other week when you mentioned it on the blog. Still have to use it though.

In the meantime, here's one I did recently where I used the same font (which I can't remember the name of!) and played with the colours:

summer2013b.jpg

26. Hi Cathy
    I use Nexus font manager all the time and find it really helpful would definitely recommend it. Thanks for the freebie. Hope you have a great day.
    Siān (in a pretty dreary Scotland)

Good morning Cathy and ladies!! (Well from reading above, it isn't really morning for everyone, LOL) I too am a fan of Cathy's clean and simple designs! I however struggle with simple! I do love anything with Carhy's name on it though! Like her J-cards and pattern papers! And don't get me started on her fabulous word art!!

My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Cathy your save the date card is FABULOUS!! So many things to love about it!

My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Hi from Oregon - where it is pouring rain! Typical. My favorite font right now is Ostrich Sans Inline, but the one I downloaded came with a solid version too which is very clean. Free at Dafont. I'm a font junkie and have a binder full of examples of what I have.
    Karen

My Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10
    My Software: Photoshop CS4 on a PC

Greetings from England! Thank you for the freebie Cathy, I love your stuff!

Here is my page: http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...98183&cat=2549 I got to babysit my littlest nephew on Monday. I turned 31 weeks pregnant on Thursday and he certainly kept me busy, but it was so nice to get some quality time with him and get in some practise for when my little boy arrives in November

I quite like the Lobster font and I use Calibri a lot lately too lol, and I'm loving the "vintage" look a lot of logo designers are using so I'm starting to use Mission Script and Franchise (both free) in things I've been playing with Just installed Sofia Pro, can't wait to have a look at that one!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast