Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Design + Type Talk with Cathy Zielske

Thanks so much for the freebie! I love fonts and probably have way too many that I don't use! I've been one of your fans, Cathy, since I read both of your Clean & Simple books. They are really timeless! Thanks also for the tip about kerning in PSE - it will help! I miss being able to kern and justify text in PSE, but it's a wonderful program at a very good price!
    Julie

2. Your LO with your beautiful daughter is just perfect! I love the conversation that you recorded and the cute, cute picture that goes so well with the story. You are a very creative artists, Cathy! Love everything about your style!
    Tammy

3. Hey Cathy! Thank you for the freebie and the tip about Sofia Pro! Yes, you are the Master!!
    Francine

My Gallery

Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5
    Gear: Nikon D50 w/28-80 mm, 70-300 Tamron lenses
    Lightroom 3

That save the date is inspired! I love the way you used the state outline.

Quote Originally Posted by coxabey View Post
    Hello Cathy! Late afternoon here, just taking a break during a ludicrously busy day (prep school open day this morning, engagement party this evening). Thanks for the freebie - I am also a font fanatic (you should see my Pinterest board) and got Penultimate the other week when you mentioned it on the blog. Still have to use it though.

In the meantime, here's one I did recently where I used the same font (which I can't remember the name of!) and played with the colours:

Attachment 1469
    Wow. This is fantastic. Seriously. I love it.
    Visit My Blog

Camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: Canon 24-70mm 2.8L; Canon 50mm f 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Creative Cloud and Photoshop Elements
    Platform: Mac
    Sign: Pisces

Quote Originally Posted by lizj View Post
    That save the date is inspired! I love the way you used the state outline.
    Thanks, that was their idea to do the shape of Oregon!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by TerriVB View Post
    Cool--I just finished using one of Cathy's great template!!!
    I took the BPC Clean and Simple this spring--but didn't keep up with the assignments--but came away so inspired to get back into scrapping.
    I posted the layout in the gallery--but not sure how to link back here.
    Used a template from CZ, papers by Kathy P and Arial font.

Thanks again Cathy for being such a great teacher!!
    Thanks for taking my class!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kaclink View Post
    Hi from Oregon - where it is pouring rain! Typical. My favorite font right now is Ostrich Sans Inline, but the one I downloaded came with a solid version too which is very clean. Free at Dafont. I'm a font junkie and have a binder full of examples of what I have.
    Hello Karen in Oregon!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMae View Post
    Thanks so much for the freebie! I love fonts and probably have way too many that I don't use! I've been one of your fans, Cathy, since I read both of your Clean & Simple books. They are really timeless! Thanks also for the tip about kerning in PSE - it will help! I miss being able to kern and justify text in PSE, but it's a wonderful program at a very good price!
    You really can figure out so many workarounds in PSE. It's such a great deal!
    Visit My Blog

10. I just love your clean and simple style. Love your font work, I've slowly branched out and started working with multiple fonts on a page. Thanks for the inspiration, great digital products and that fantastic humour! Hope your foot heals well and fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Tlcd1961 View Post
    Your LO with your beautiful daughter is just perfect! I love the conversation that you recorded and the cute, cute picture that goes so well with the story. You are a very creative artists, Cathy! Love everything about your style!
    Tammy
    Thanks, Tammy!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by CathyZielske View Post
    Wow. This is fantastic. Seriously. I love it.
    Coming from you that is HIGH praise - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey79 View Post
    I just love your clean and simple style. Love your font work, I've slowly branched out and started working with multiple fonts on a page. Thanks for the inspiration, great digital products and that fantastic humour! Hope your foot heals well and fast!
    Thanks! I just returned from my first trip to Target in a month and a half. It was... decent, but exhausting! LOL! Feels SO good to be sitting back down.
    Visit My Blog

Oh my gosh, what a cutie!

I love Lobster too. A great free font and perfect for the vintage-y, retro look!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KimR+ View Post
    Good morning Cathy and ladies!! (Well from reading above, it isn't really morning for everyone, LOL) I too am a fan of Cathy's clean and simple designs! I however struggle with simple! I do love anything with Carhy's name on it though! Like her J-cards and pattern papers! And don't get me started on her fabulous word art!!
    Simple can be just as challenging as complex. I look at so many pages here and I am blown away at how great people are at layering digital elements.
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by CathyZielske View Post
    You really can figure out so many workarounds in PSE. It's such a great deal!
    Cathy, I'm sorry if you already mentioned this... scrolling back I didn't see it, but to Julie's point about missing JUSTIFYING text in PSE... you can! Easily! If you highlight your text block and then hit CONTROL+SHIFT+J you will have fully-justified text. I use this all the time... seriously, one of the best tips I ever received! (Sadly, I can't remember who ever told me!)
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by beehive50 View Post
    Cathy, I'm sorry if you already mentioned this... scrolling back I didn't see it, but to Julie's point about missing JUSTIFYING text in PSE... you can! Easily! If you highlight your text block and then hit CONTROL+SHIFT+J you will have fully-justified text. I use this all the time... seriously, one of the best tips I ever received! (Sadly, I can't remember who ever told me!)
    Oh yes! Good tip! Totally forgot you can justify in PSE!
    Visit My Blog

44thing.jpg

Ahhhh. All Avenir, all the time.

The more I look through my pages, the more I realize: this font is like a signature font for me. I wish the original designer of it had built it out just a bit more. Maybe he did? I need to research that!

You can find this layout template here.

I did a blog post about the process here.
    Visit My Blog

19. I like the idea of a full page sketch. She did some amazing drawings. Oh, you have given me a good idea. Thank you!

20. I love Avenir too! Lobster is a fun one too.

21. Having just returned from spending the summer in Oregon your save the date card tugged at my heart. I always find the font combos you use so intriguing. Thirsty Script is a new one for me. Really liked how the kids names blended together so well. Thanks for the chat today.

22. Hi, Cathy!
    Love your page idea... and thanks for the freebie! I am a font geek, too!

That page is precious, Cathy!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

GreenDayWb.jpg

More Avenir, in the journaling body.

Another thing I like to do with my type is choose something funky for the title, but then something really neutral for the journaling, like on the page above. Which again, is likely Avenir Roman. Or Medium.

Also, this reminds me: I haven't listened to Green Day in a really long time!
    Visit My Blog

25. Hello. CZ stalker for at least ten years. Probably more. Own the books. Use them. Live them. Even got my hair cut like you once. I don't usually participate in these things but I did feel like playing with type today and instead of doing my PL layout for the week, I was inspired to put together a layout using a photo I took this morning before my daughter left to take her second ACT test.

klund_act.jpg

http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...98191&cat=2549

I used Avenir for the journaling and the sub title and then League Gothic for the big title. I also like Bebas for big titles, but League Gothic was working for me today.

Just wanted to pop in and say "Hi Cathy" and thanks for all the inspiration over the years!

Cathy, thanks so much for the freebie! Love, love! I too, love your style! Thanks for the info on the fonts, clicked on the Sophia Pro, but it took me to a pay page? Love the Avenir font!

Thanks again for the chat and freebie Cathy!! I challenged myself to go simple! LOL! And what a challenge it was I hope to pop back in to catch up on the chat! Happy scrapping and chatting ladies!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Okay, awesome page! Also, my over achieving teen just signed up to take the ACT for the second time too! I just paid for it online. Lol.

Love seeing your use of League Gothic. Now that is a great fee font find!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MissKim View Post
    Hello. CZ stalker for at least ten years. Probably more. Own the books. Use them. Live them. Even got my hair cut like you once. I don't usually participate in these things but I did feel like playing with type today and instead of doing my PL layout for the week, I was inspired to put together a layout using a photo I took this morning before my daughter left to take her second ACT test.

klund_act.jpg

http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...98191&cat=2549

I used Avenir for the journaling and the sub title and then League Gothic for the big title. I also like Bebas for big titles, but League Gothic was working for me today.

Just wanted to pop in and say "Hi Cathy" and thanks for all the inspiration over the years!
    Oops! I just posted a reply without the quote option. Hopefully you'll see it and know it's for you! Thanks for dropping in today and for your support over the years!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KimR+ View Post
    Thanks again for the chat and freebie Cathy!! I challenged myself to go simple! LOL! And what a challenge it was I hope to pop back in to catch up on the chat! Happy scrapping and chatting ladies!
    Ah, lovely and yummy too!
    Visit My Blog

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast