Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Design + Type Talk with Cathy Zielske

Design + Type Talk with Cathy Zielske

Hello everyone and welcome to the forum event weekend in celebration of our 3rd Quarter Sale!

Cathy Zielske here, welcoming you to this thread, which I will be checking in on throughout the day. First things first, a freebie for you!

CZ_SaleFreebiePREV.jpg

This chat has ended and the freebie is no longer available.

This set features my all-time favorite font, Avenir. It's clean, understated and yet still has a quiet style. I use it in my CZ Design logo and it has been a go-to font for me in scrapbooking for years. I have used time and again for journaling as well. It reads beautifully at 10 point size.

Today, I want to challenge you to create a page featuring type in some way. You can use the free brush & stamp if you like, but really, I just want to see pages featuring great titles and nice journaling blocks.

Post your pages here: CZ Design + Type Challenge

Share links to your pages in this thread, too! Makes it fun for people who check in to see what you're posting.

And then, start thinking about your favorite fonts. I'd love to hear what some of you use time and again.

Finally, if you have any questions for me at all, fire away! I'd love to chat about anything design and type related that you want to talk about.

P.S. At the end of the day, I'll be giving away one $10 store gift certificate to a random participant in this thread. Good luck!

Keep in mind, our sale runs all the way through next Friday morning. The free link will be available through Sunday, the 22nd.

Note: event participation is not included in the challenge reward program
    Visit My Blog

Camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: Canon 24-70mm 2.8L; Canon 50mm f 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5
    Platform: Mac
    Sign: Pisces

I also plan to share examples of my favorite font in action throughout the day. The thing about Avenir is that it's stylish, but doesn't dominate a design in a way that says, "HEY! I'M OVER HERE!" And I love that. This page features it in the title and the journaling, a combo I do all the time.

AZZ.jpg

See the supplies here.
    Visit My Blog

Good morning, Cathy! Just waking up here in Arizona. I love your clean, simple style. Looking forward to checking in on this thread throughout the day. Can't wait for this year's 30 Things Thankful class
    Joanne

My Gallery

Camera: Canon 6D
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm
    Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
    PSE 12 on a PC

It's almost midnight here, so I've just popped in to say good morning!
    I was so happy to find free samples of Avenir online to download and play with recently.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Quote Originally Posted by jcaruth910 View Post
    Good morning, Cathy! Just waking up here in Arizona. I love your clean, simple style. Looking forward to checking in on this thread throughout the day. Can't wait for this year's 30 Things Thankful class
    Hey Joanne! I can't wait either! That was my favorite album of 2012 (okay, December Daily was probably tied with it!) I've got whole new digital album sets coming in a few weeks. Just putting the last pieces together on them.
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    It's almost midnight here, so I've just popped in to say good morning!
    I was so happy to find free samples of Avenir online to download and play with recently.
    Hey! I love it when Aussies stay up late! : ) Now get to sleep soon! You can check back when you wake up!
    Visit My Blog

Good morning Cathy! Love the clean look! You're the master! Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

Good morning. Thanks for the brush and stamp set! I like digi elements that will look great in both traditional and project life scrapping. Your word art stamps (boxed type and labels) fit the bill perftectly - love'm. Thanks!

9. Cathy... Thanks for the freebie... I'm not going to be home this morning but I'll be thinking about all of you chatting away....Have a great day!
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb

Good Morning from Europe Cathy! Thanks for the freebie! Love the clean, simple and fresh style that you always have in your layouts.

Quote Originally Posted by sue_novascotia View Post
    Good morning. Thanks for the brush and stamp set! I like digi elements that will look great in both traditional and project life scrapping. Your word art stamps (boxed type and labels) fit the bill perftectly - love'm. Thanks!
    Thanks, Sue!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Isabel MS View Post
    Good Morning from Europe Cathy! Thanks for the freebie! Love the clean, simple and fresh style that you always have in your layouts.
    Hello Europe! Hope things are going well on your side of the world!
    Visit My Blog

13. I love your sample lo with your adorable daughter! Great freebie, thanks. I was turned onto a great font by Esther, Aaargh, a couple of years ago, that I use a lot for very readable text. I'm on a little bit of a typewriter font love-fest too, although I am surprised by how many of them don't include all of the punctuation. I made apostrophes from commas a lot and add them separately!

I found a free font recently, that reminds me a bit of Avenir in it's structure.

Screen Shot 2013-09-21 at 8.35.46 AM.jpg

It's called Sofia Pro.

I love FontSquirrel.com for it's fonts. The only drag is that sometimes, you'll find a great free font, but it only comes in one weight. Still, lots of great fonts there and they are all categorized nicely.

Later today, I want to talk about my favorite categories of type! Slab Serif and Sans Serif are at the top of the list. If you have time to poke around their fonts, by all means do!
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by lizj View Post
    I love your sample lo with your adorable daughter! Great freebie, thanks. I was turned onto a great font by Esther, Aaargh, a couple of years ago, that I use a lot for very readable text. I'm on a little bit of a typewriter font love-fest too, although I am surprised by how many of them don't include all of the punctuation. I made apostrophes from commas a lot and add them separately!
    I'll have to check that font out! And yes, it's pretty common to have sets like that not include the punctuation!
    Visit My Blog

16. That's a gorgeous font, and I like that they offer the one version for free! I need to register at Font Squirrel. How have I missed them before?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lizj View Post
    That's a gorgeous font, and I like that they offer the one version for free! I need to register at Font Squirrel. How have I missed them before?!!!
    The really seem to link to great quality free fonts.
    Visit My Blog

Hi Cathy! I, too, love your clean style! I love fonts and am loaded with them but don't use them enough. I've always
    loved adorable which is my go to font. Thanks for the freebies and the challenge. I hope to find time
    to work on a page today.
    Sylvia

19. Good morning Cathy! First off, I have been a big fan of yours since taking your 10 Tips for Better Type class a while back. Your DD templates and word art are always among my favorite go-to items

I love the clean lines of the Avenir font. Quick question to see what your recommendation is for purchasing it. Searching the web, I see there are many varieties/weights of Avenir (35, 45, Light, Oblique, Roman, etc). If one was going to buy just one Avenir font, which one do you think is the best to start with or do you use the most?

I look forward to checking back on this thread throughout the day, and thank you for the awesome freebie! Best, Heather
    Heather

Nikon d600
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8, Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8g

Photoshop Elements 11, Lightroom 4

Love the fontsquirrel.com link!
    Sylvia

21. Thanks for this freebie package Cathy. I loved your example page and I'm definitely going to play with this today sometime. Weekends are my dedicated play time.
    Brenda

Europe here lol! Sorry I did not introduce myself, Iīm Isabel Moses. In my side of the pound is a gorgeous sunny hot day

So excited to see your chat, Cathy! Your advice about design and type is always wonderful!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

Sorry! I didnīt whant to say pound but lake! I love font squirrel for fonts to, they have a great collection and many designers love ther site. You answered the question I whant to ask you about Avenir. I think Sophia Pro is perfect if you can not buy Avenir, thanks.

25. Okay, really busy today and now totally distracted by fonts!!!! Got 2 new ones, thanks Cathy! I first encountered the writing on photos from a template by Katie. I loved it, even though I often forget to use it. Will try it again. Thank you so much for the freebie.

Hi Cathy, ladies! I am a fan too Cathy, of your clean, graphic style and have loved watching your kids grow up before our eyes. I am a font junkie too....never heard of font squirrel though, will have to check that out....

27. Cathy, I really liked the pairing of fonts on your page. How did you start picking out fonts? Please tell me you have a secret that will help it be faster.

28. Just want to say, Hello, in this chat, too!!

Cathy, we're both chatting from Minnesota! I'm up north, however, at the cabin.

You turned me on to AVENIR font. I love that it came loaded on my Mac.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

29. Oh man--found this too late to do a page--but couldn't find them in the gallery...Thanks for the freebie--and thanks for still being in the scrapbook world and getting my scrapping mojo back in gear!!!

Terri

Quote Originally Posted by smcloone View Post
    Hi Cathy! I, too, love your clean style! I love fonts and am loaded with them but don't use them enough. I've always
    loved adorable which is my go to font. Thanks for the freebies and the challenge. I hope to find time
    to work on a page today.
    Sylvia, I've been using fonts for over 25 years and I still don't have them organized and in a way that I can easily access them. LOL. Working on it! Hope you find time to play today!
    Visit My Blog

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast