Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography Challenge #1

Photography Challenge #1

Here is my example for our first photography challenge. I took this picture of Payton in January and the lighting from the side was something I really liked about it. Anyway, that's our first challenge: take photos of your subjects with your lightsource on the far left or right side and see what you come up with. This type of lighting is great with men, I think. I'm thinking moody, deep shadows, emphasis on the skin texture. Or maternity photos would be fun with this type of lighting. I know someone's going to hit this out of the park! Anyway, thanks for participating! And please give me some ideas of challenges you'd like to see in the future! I'm new to all this photography stuff too so I feel a little out of my element coming up with challenges.
    Heidi
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography
    Camera: Nikon D800
    Lenses: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-35 f/2.8, 28-300, 24-70mm f/2.8
    Extras: Speedlight SB-700, Alien Bee 800
    Software: Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4

2. OH...I'll play. Like you, I have an older one...let me dig it up and post it.

Okay, I am in. This is just up my alley, as I seem to be more focused on photography than scraping these days. Here is my photo http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...ll&limit=last1

5. Thanks for the challenge Heidi!! I would prefer you just moved to Australia and took all my pictures.... but I will try to learn instead :P

http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...=28481&cat=500
    Michelle

From Downunder! My DD Gallery!
    Memory catcher: Canon IXUS 800 IS and Rebel/EOS 400D
    Creative tool: Photoshop CS 3

I love this challenge! My photo

I'd love to see challenges for composition, more lighting, and depth of field. And hmmm a little cc for each other?!

Thanks!

7. oooh fun!
    wednesday is my photography day, so i'll experiment on one of my guy buddies

ETA: i think i actually have one from last week...
    http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...=28486&cat=500
    -- Caroline

blog
    gallery

Nikon D50, Nikkor 50mm f1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6
    Photoshop CS3

Great I love photography Challenges. I'm just starting out too.Here's mine! TFL
    *~Susanne~*

9. Here's mine: http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...4&limit=recent

Aperture Priority, shutter speed 1/30, AV 1.8, ISO 100, 50 mm lens
    Jill

DD Gallery

Software: Photoshop Elements 6
    Camera: Canon Rebel XT
    Lenses: 50 mm 1.8, 18-55 mm, 75-300

After I uploaded my shot of Kalypso yesterday (taken in 2006) This caught my eye, so I grabbed my camera I hope it is okay to upload two in one challenge http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...=28509&cat=500

11. I'm glad you started this challenge Heidi. It's fun looking at all the participants so far. I've got a lot to learn. This will be a great teaching tool for me to see how others are using their camera's too.
    Here's my contribution.
    Prom
    Kris

My Camera: Canon 50D, 50 mm 1.8, 18-55mm, 75-300mm and Canon 18-200mm EF-S IS Lens
    My Software: PSP X & PSCS2

12. Okay, I'm a newbie with photography so please bear with me. Teri A. mentioned that my shot was clear considering my slow shutter speed. Does that mean that if I have plenty of light (which I did), I should set the fastest shutter speed I can get away with for more clarity?
    Jill

DD Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jingreenbay View Post
    Okay, I'm a newbie with photography so please bear with me. Teri A. mentioned that my shot was clear considering my slow shutter speed. Does that mean that if I have plenty of light (which I did), I should set the fastest shutter speed I can get away with for more clarity?
    A faster shutter speed is going to make it a little easier to get a sharp picture because you avoid camera shake and the movement of your subject. At f/1.8 your focal point becomes pretty small and easy when paired with a slower shutter speed to get blur. Doesn't mean you have to have faster shutter speed, just means it is a harder picture to take! Hope this helps...and someone please correct me if I'm off here.

14. you have a steady hand!!!

generally, it's recommended that your shutter speed not go lower than the inverse of the focal length of your lens (so if you're using a 50mm, you should try to shoot at at least 1/50). it gets harder to control your camera as your shutter speed decreases! i move a lot, so it's especially hard for me, lol.
    -- Caroline

blog
    gallery

Nikon D50, Nikkor 50mm f1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6
    Photoshop CS3

Yes, I was just complimenting your steady hand My flower picture I uploaded today was shot at 1/25. That was pretty slow for me to hold still. I should have mounted my camera on the tripod, but didn't want to take the time. If I had, it would have been sharper. I am using my tripod more and more these days, to try and get the sharpest shots I can.

16. Great info ladies!
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

17. Thanks for the mini lesson ladies! Basically I understand the main concepts but I'm not to the point where everything "clicks" yet. I remembered to lower my ISO but neglected to think about increasing shutter speed! As Kung Fu's master used to say, "be patient grasshopper!"
    Jill

DD Gallery

18. Jill - you and I are in the same boat.

Maybe one day we'll hit the "click."
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

I love photography challenges! I bought a DSLR a couple of months ago and I'm always looking for opportunities (and challenges) to practice and learn photography.

Here's a photo I took a couple of weeks ago but I'm planning to take a few more shots soon:

Carol and Andie
    Abie
    My Gallery
    My Photos
    My Blog
    Cameras: Olympus E-500 (DSLR) and Olympus C-765 (Point and Shoot)
    Lenses: 17.5-45mm F3.5-5.6 Kit Lens, 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 Kit Lens, 50 mm F2.0 Macro Lens
    Others: Circular Polarizer, Remote Control

20. Jill, your photo was great! I still struggle a little bit. Once I figured out about the little light meter in my camera viewfinder I was so much better off. I just figured that out a few months ago and feel so silly that I never realized it was there. Now I just keep in mind how fast my subject is moving (shutter speed) and about what depth of field I want (aperture) given the light and type of photo I want and let the camera do the rest.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

I love the dramatic light that comes with side lighting. Here's my example: http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...=28593&cat=500

Thanks for adding photo challenges!

elliottsurf Guest
    I feel like I am back in college...anxious to get up early to learn before the day starts! Heidi, little light meter in the camera viewfinder??? I must get my manual out and take a look at that. There are so many things to keep in mind, but with all of the help you gals are giving, I will be able to "pat my head and rub my stomach" at the same time! I can feel my photos improving already. I took some yesterday, but now I will retake using the tips from Katrina, Caroline, and Heidi. Thanks a million for starting this!

23. ~Maureen
    My Gallery
    My Blog
    My Writing
    My tools:
    PSE 6.0
    Rebel T3i, 50mm 1.4, 80-200mm

Thanks, Heidi!
    Here's mine:

Thomas

25. Heidi...I love that you started this!!! Here is mine: anthony
    Kathie

my gallery

Camera: Nikon D90, Nikon D50
    Lenses: Nikkor: 50 mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Micro 60mm 2.8G ED, 18-200mm VR, SB-800
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS2
    Computer Platform: It may be a PC, but at least it's fast

Here is mine

http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...7&limit=recent
    Okay give me some slack...just experimenting

27. Great challenge Heidi

Heidi,

Couldn't resist this GREAT challenge. It's all about soft light isn't it?

Great shots from everyone involved!!!!

Here's mine to share:

http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...=28652&cat=500

28. I am so excited about the great reception that our challenge got! I have a new one in mind but am going to give it a little time between challenges so we don't run out of momentum. You all did such a fantastic job with your photos! And I am very excited to announce that Katie added a photography gallery for us to post our photos in!!! How cool is that!? Anyway, keep them coming ladies! I am learning so much from everyone.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

Great challenge, Heidi! I am sitting here when I should be working...and am instead playing! Thanks for the break, here's mine.

Geez... I wonder when I'll be able to shoot something! All your photos are wonderful, ladies! And, yes, Heidi... please give me a LITTLE more time!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast