Thread: New size photo book at Shutterfly

New size photo book at Shutterfly

I'm usually late to the party and most probably already know this, but I was just looking around at Shutterfly and noticed they now have a 10 x 10 book available. I've made several 8 x 8 books and love that size, but sometimes would like something a little bigger but not as big as a 12 x 12. Have any of you had a 10 x 10 printed, and if so, does it work the same way as the 8 x 8 books work in that I can create my layouts in 12 x 12 and then just upload and select 10 x 10 and it will look right?

I'm kind of excited about this! I JUST yesterday received a book of a trip we made in April to the Texas Hill Country. I might have had it printed in 10 x 10 if that option had been available. Sometimes depending on the template I use, the 8 x 8 pictures can be a little small.

Just curious if anyone has printed this size.

Thanks!

Brenda
    My Camera: Nikon D700
    My Software: Adobe CS5
    My Computer Platform: PC

Wow, maybe they've listened to digi scrapper demands. Great to hear they've got the new size. Too bad I've broken up my love affair with them.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I remember a while back when everyone was upset because they changed up the format. At that time, I'd never made a photo scrapbook, so it wasn't a big deal for me to learn their new system, but I totally understand and would have felt the same way - especially if I'd had a book in the works like so many did that were just going to disappear.

4. LOL. I still use Shutterfly. I'm easily bought with a 50%off coupon!!! Thanks for the info.

5. I'm still using Shutterfly, too. I can't resist the coupon offers I get from Groupon and the offers from Shutterfly for being a good customer. In fact, I just today gave my youngest grandson his yearly book for his birthday. I was really pleased with the quality of the paper...it seemed nice and thick. I also think I've gotten better at making sure my photos are light enough to look good in 8 x 8 size. Now that I've got the hang of their new Custom Path it is easier.l

That said, I often try other printing companies, too, especially if I get a deal!!

I would like to try the 10 x 10 size, Brenda. Thanks!
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

Merrilee - how do you get the Groupons for Shutterfly? I would love to to able to get more savings. I have to say that the three books I've had printed at Shutterfly, I've been very pleased with. The colors of the pictures, my paper and embellishments are always spot on. I've read other recommendations here and have thought about using a different company "next time" but then I figure if I'm happy with what I'm getting, why change? And I agree about learning what size pictures you can use for the 8x8 - it's always a learning process and I've learned if it's a small space, just use some pretty paper. I'm about to start a new book and think I'll have it printed in the 10x10 to see how I like that size. I do like the 8x8 because it's easy to hold.

So interesting Brenda.....I have done both 8x8 and 12x12.....but I feel like I am a little like Goldilocks.....that maybe the 10x10 might be "just right" I am just putting the finishing touches on Clara's first yr book and that might be an excellent option. Thanks so much for the heads up. And I have been frustrated with Shutterfly process in the past, but I will give them another go this time Their quality and finished product very much.

Yes Merr.....do tell about the groupon deal. I am very interested.
    Pam

My Stuff: Nikon D80, Nikkor 50 mm 1.4, Nikkor 18 - 135mm, Nikkor 80 - 200mm, Speedlight SB-600 and my Epiphanie Lola Camera Bag!
    Software: Dell Studio XPS, PSE 11 and Bamboo Fun

8. I think I might give Shutterfly another go, Brenda . . . thanks for this bit of information!

I have an 8 x 8 book I'm almost finished with . . . I may try SF with the 10x10 version instead.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

I LOVE 10 x 10. It's just the right size. I use it for all my photobooks now, having first used it for my travel albums. I use Persnickety prints for my albums (and would like to keep doing so if only they posted internationally!!!!!!! I have to use a forwarding service at the moment, which adds to the cost). I love their quality but MAY revisit Shutterfly. Thanks for the info!

Doris - I laughed at your comment - sometimes we can be bought.

Lynn - that's great that you've made them in that size and love them. I can't wait to get another book finished now so I can have one printed in that size! I'm just now in the editing part so I have a ways to go before I get to actually scrapping.

Mollie - let us know when you get your book how you like the size.

Pam - LOL - you nailed it with the Goldilocks analogy!

They've also added some new covers - my covers are always glossy but they now have a matte finish and a few other options. One option I've thought about adding, if I knew for sure what size it is, is a pocket to put things in - I believe you can add it to the inside front or inside back cover. I thought about having it added to the back and keeping the disk with the pictures from that album in there. Has anyone done this?

11. Thanks for posting this. I too can not resist the shutterfly coupons. I have been seriously considering scrapping in 8 1/2 x 11 because I thought the 8x8 was to small and the 12x12 to big (but impressive looking). I hope that other companies will follow because the 10x10 seems like the perfect size.
    Teresa

I only have 8x8 and 12x12, but I'm sure the 10x10 option will be very nice!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

13. Quote Originally Posted by brenda_in_tx View Post

They've also added some new covers - my covers are always glossy but they now have a matte finish and a few other options. One option I've thought about adding, if I knew for sure what size it is, is a pocket to put things in - I believe you can add it to the inside front or inside back cover. I thought about having it added to the back and keeping the disk with the pictures from that album in there. Has anyone done this?
    I think the pocket to add to the inside cover, front or back, is a wonderful idea. I wish the heritage albums I ordered had pockets. There are some artifacts I would have added.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

I have always kept a CD/DVD/thumb drive with my photo books, that have the actual photo images on them. I sort of have issues of my ancestors down the road having these nice books, but not the actual images. What if they wanted to enlarge a photo of one of us for something and the only way they have access to the photo is on my 12x12 flattened jpeg? We have had issues in my dh's family, with people not being nice and not sharing some of our very old family photos. Not a nice situation, but I am sure it has happened in other families as well. If there is an option for a pocket I will for sure add it.
    Pam

My Stuff: Nikon D80, Nikkor 50 mm 1.4, Nikkor 18 - 135mm, Nikkor 80 - 200mm, Speedlight SB-600 and my Epiphanie Lola Camera Bag!

Quote Originally Posted by blkcow View Post
    I have always kept a CD/DVD/thumb drive with my photo books, that have the actual photo images on them. I sort of have issues of my ancestors down the road having these nice books, but not the actual images. What if they wanted to enlarge a photo of one of us for something and the only way they have access to the photo is on my 12x12 flattened jpeg? We have had issues in my dh's family, with people not being nice and not sharing some of our very old family photos. Not a nice situation, but I am sure it has happened in other families as well. If there is an option for a pocket I will for sure add it.
    How do you keep the CD/DVD with the photo book? I suppose we could also just glue a paper CD/DVD holder to the back inside cover and insert the CD. That's a great thought about someone down the road wanting a larger image - I didn't even think of that, but you're right - if these pictures are only accessible in a book, and in my case, my books are 8 x 8, they aren't going to be able to get very good scans, not to mention they're all embellished.

Quote Originally Posted by brenda_in_tx View Post
    How do you keep the CD/DVD with the photo book? I suppose we could also just glue a paper CD/DVD holder to the back inside cover and insert the CD. That's a great thought about someone down the road wanting a larger image - I didn't even think of that, but you're right - if these pictures are only accessible in a book, and in my case, my books are 8 x 8, they aren't going to be able to get very good scans, not to mention they're all embellished.
    I do just that Brenda.....I use the papery/vinyl 3 ring CD/DVD holder and just place it in the back of the book. Nothing special, just makes me feel better to keep it all together. I agree, I just don't see how somebody in the years ahead will be able to scan from our photos books....but, who knows what technology will do!
    Pam

I haven't been to the Shutterfly site in a long time. After fooling around for just a few minutes, I really feel like they have listened to our wishes/wants. I didn't get as far as the vivid pics (I hope you can turn it off on all pages at once) but found they have a custom book named "digiscrap" with all full bleed pages. You can add 1 7.5X7.5 adhesive pocket in either the front or back (but not both) of the book for $1.99. And now adding the 10x10 size. They will be getting me to give them another try. Thank's Brenda for calling this to my attention. Yay
    Pam

I haven't been to the Shutterfly site in a long time. After fooling around for just a few minutes, I really feel like they have listened to our wishes/wants. I didn't get as far as the vivid pics (I hope you can turn it off on all pages at once) but found they have a custom book named "digiscrap" with all full bleed pages. You can add 1 7.5X7.5 adhesive pocket in either the front or back (but not both) of the book for $1.99. And now adding the 10x10 size. They will be getting me to give them another try. Thank's Brenda for calling this to my attention. Yay
    You can turn off vivid pics all at once - you select all of your pictures, turn it off on one picture and then there's a box that you check to "apply this setting to all pictures" or something like that and it turns it off on all of them. The only thing I can't figure out is how to turn off their auto crop for an entire set of pictures - I had to go through picture by and picture and turn it off. I'll email them and ask - they're really good with responding.

Quote Originally Posted by brenda_in_tx View Post
    You can turn off vivid pics all at once - you select all of your pictures, turn it off on one picture and then there's a box that you check to "apply this setting to all pictures" or something like that and it turns it off on all of them. The only thing I can't figure out is how to turn off their auto crop for an entire set of pictures - I had to go through picture by and picture and turn it off. I'll email them and ask - they're really good with responding.
    This will make the whole Shutterfly thing sooo much easier. Thanks Brenda. You will be my go-to Shutterfly guru from now on
    Pam

I found over the years though they still print too dark. Does anyone else think that? Having said that I'm so happy they have listened to digi scrappers, power of feet walking away.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by carollee View Post
    I found over the years though they still print too dark. Does anyone else think that? Having said that I'm so happy they have listened to digi scrappers, power of feet walking away.
    I have made 4 books and all of the pictures, papers and embellishments are spot on with what I see on my monitor.

Maybe it's me then! Which wouldn't surprise me. Thanks Brenda.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

23. My Shutterfly books always print dark and with a red tint to them. I'm going to give this new size a try because I got a gift certificate for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by carollee View Post
    Patsy

For those who have problems with Shutterfly's books printing too dark, are your monitors calibrated? Just curious as mine is and I wonder if that helps. Also, do you turn off the setting where they auto correct the colors?

This will make the whole Shutterfly thing sooo much easier. Thanks Brenda. You will be my go-to Shutterfly guru from now on
    Pam - I emailed Shutterfly and unfortunately, there's not a "one click turns off the auto cropping" button for all your pictures like there is for the vivid setting. It is a bit time consuming to have to do it picture-by-picture - maybe someday in the future, they'll add that feature.

I had forgotten about the auto cropping.....thanks heavens you have reminded me!!! I am just about ready to start uploading Clara's 1 yr book!!!
    Pam

Oooh - I'd love to see it once it's ready!

10x10 is the MOST perfect size! I've done books that size thru Persnickety and Paper Kiwi! Can't say I'm going to go back to Shutterfly with their upc code on the back... the other two places make such nice books and the colors seem the most right. My history with Shutterfly is bad cropping and too intense color.
    LoriS

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by LoriS View Post
    10x10 is the MOST perfect size! I've done books that size thru Persnickety and Paper Kiwi! Can't say I'm going to go back to Shutterfly with their upc code on the back... the other two places make such nice books and the colors seem the most right. My history with Shutterfly is bad cropping and too intense color.
    Lori - I did find the 10x10 size available at Paper Kiwi but not Persnickety. I might try Paper Kiwi next time just for comparison purposes since Shutterfly is the only place I've ordered from, but I've never had a problem with bad colors from Shutterfly and am wondering if those of you who have are turning off their automatically-applied vivid setting? As far as cropping, once I got my last book from them (2 weeks ago), I looked at the book and at what I uploaded and they printed exactly how it looked on their website. Maybe they've made some changes since some of you left? The upc bar code doesn't really bother me - I add text to the back of my book detailing who took the pictures and the cameras used so I think that's what I tend to focus on. I'm really excited though about a 10x10 book - all of mine (well, all four of them - lol) are 8x8. I'm starting on a new project this weekend so I hope to be able to send it to print in the next month or so (I'm a slow scrapper).