Thread: Hi new here and excited but I need help!

1. Hi new here and excited but I need help!

Hi everyone...I am new to digital and have wanted to do it for years!!! I recently purchased a silhouette and am excited to do a hybrid PL but have zero idea on how or where to start? I have purchased a few digi kits that have caught my idea. The one real question I have right now is how if at all can I get digital templates into the silhouette studio designer edition...as I mentioned I don't even know that it is possible? I am a super visual person so I would like to be able to "design" my layout in the software so that I can have everything just perfect to print and or print and cut my pl layout so that they fit in the sleeves perfectly. I hope that makes sense. Anyone that can help me with this I would be so grateful! TIA

Hi and Welcome!
    I don't think you can put a full page layout into the silhouette. The idea is to cut out cards and do paper piecing. I think I have seen some people print a colored graphic and then run that thru the silhouette but not sure how accurate you could get the cut.

Products in the store labeled cutting files or silhouette work best

And we do have some YouTube videos that can help too!

HTH
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

I am zero help with the hybrid stuff but wanted to welcome you! This is a super friendly crowd and everyone loves to help! Hope you share some of your work with us in the gallery

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

4. Hello and welcome! You've come to a super friendly place!
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

Welcome to DD! You will love it here, and you will enjoy digital scrapbooking and PL!! I'm not much help with the Silouhette either. Mine just collects dust (bowing my head in shame).
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

When doing hybrid I copy each of the template layers and arrange them a blank page that I've set up to print on my printer at exactly 100%. Then I can cut them out by hand and arrange them as needed. I'm afraid I don't have a silhouette but I imagine it would be heaps of fun!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

No help I'm afraid as I'm completely digital these days - but just wanted to add my welcome - just keep asking questions. There's sure to be someone around who can answer them - it's a great crowd here at DD!
    Sharon

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Welcome to DD! You will love it here! I have been using the Silhouette for about 3.5 years! I also have the designer edition and would be willing to help you if I can. I first used the SD but now have the Cameo. I actually take png's and jpegs into the Silhouette and use them as print and cuts or sometimes regular cuts. I scrap both paper and digital. Feel free to Private message me here anytime-you can find that on your profile page.
    Cindy

Camera-Canon EOS Rebel T3i
    Software: PSE11
    ACDSee14
    Silhouette Cameo

I'm afraid I'm not any help on Silhouette either but do want to welcome you to DD. I know you will find a lot of help and support here!!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

10. I'm not doing hybrid but I wanted to welcome you here too!

sorry, I won't be of any help either, this hybrid stuff is totally over my head I just wanted to say welcome to DD though!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Add me to the list of wanting to welcome you to DD...and being no help whatsoever with hybrid help!!
    Pam

My Stuff: Nikon D80, Nikkor 50 mm 1.4, Nikkor 18 - 135mm, Nikkor 80 - 200mm, Speedlight SB-600 and my Epiphanie Lola Camera Bag!
    Software: Dell Studio XPS, PSE 11 and Bamboo Fun

13. Thanks ladies! Thanks for the welcome wagon! It's nice to be invited into the community I will keep posting my questions about digital in general and hopefully turn up someone who is also doing hybrid. There is so much to learn just in the digital aspect of it all lol. I have Photoshop CS5 which I absolutely do not know how to use...shaking my head in shame lol. But school is getting ready to start up for my daughter (7th grade) and I will have time to really look into some tutorials and figure this all out. Any suggestions as far as tutorials or self paced classes to get me in the right direction would be great! Thanks again!

Here is a link to the tips category where you will find hundreds of tips for using Photoshop-http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...pbooking/tips/.

Quote Originally Posted by smitten4glitter View Post
    Thanks ladies! Thanks for the welcome wagon! It's nice to be invited into the community I will keep posting my questions about digital in general and hopefully turn up someone who is also doing hybrid. There is so much to learn just in the digital aspect of it all lol. I have Photoshop CS5 which I absolutely do not know how to use...shaking my head in shame lol. But school is getting ready to start up for my daughter (7th grade) and I will have time to really look into some tutorials and figure this all out. Any suggestions as far as tutorials or self paced classes to get me in the right direction would be great! Thanks again!
    Cindy

ACDSee14
    Silhouette Cameo

I am new here too and want to learn digital scrapbooking but also wants to continue with the traditional scrapbooking.
    Going hybrid also and would love to learn with you since I am doing my PL as well

Hi Ana! I said hello on the other thread but if I can help you in any way please feel free to ask. I scrap both paper and digi.
    Cindy

ACDSee14
    Silhouette Cameo

17. it is so nice to have you here at Designer Digitals . . . I'm thinking that you may end up teaching all of us how to use our DD supplies with your silhouette! I don't have one and do very few hybrid projects, but an old dog can surely learn new tricks, can't she?

Welcome!!!

P.S. Cindy has been great to offer help . . . she may be our new go-to gal for Silhouette!
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac