Thread: Photo Sharing sites

1. Photo Sharing sites

We recently came back from vacation and I managed to shoot 1300 photos from the week. I am looking for a photo sharing site so that I can share these photos with family members. What photo sharing sites do you use....and are you happy with the site? I would be looking for unlimited storage since I would like this to be another back up for photos besides EHDs. Thanks for your help!
    LeAnne

My good friend uses photobucket!

My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Some of my family uses SnapFish
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon

The gal who heads up photos for our scout pack uses "smugmug" and I thought it was great! I'm tempted to start using it myself, so that family members who ask me for photos can just download what they want from there. You don't have to resize them either before you upload. As far as I know it is unlimited.

Flickr can be set up to share with family or friends or public. Plus there's 1tb free space now. I think it's 1tb. And your family can download full resolution sizes of the pics if you set it up that way, good for grandparents etc. plus good for added security in that it's a backup for you.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I use Flickr but have a pro account so that I can upload big batches of photos. I think it's $40 or $50 a year.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

7. I use Flickr pro too, although so far I only use it to load lo's. I share my lo's with family on FB and it is easy to launch from Flickr and is much more legible if they click on it (as opposed to loading directly to FB). You can set your photos to private or public, and give family access. I think Flickr is a little easier than Photobucket. But you can create albums in either of them, which helps to stay organized.

8. I've heard good things about Smug Mug, too.

So far, I just keep uploading all my photos to Shutterfly and share from there.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

I've used Shutterfly in the past.. the problem is you cannot do full resolution downloads so it's only good for them to look thru them or order prints. I use SmugMug now and love it. They just did a complete re-design of their site and it's easy to use.. you have three levels of security you can assign to a gallery. They allow full-res downloads. Uploads are unlimited. You can also store and share videos and it has a great search feature. I have the Premium account because I needed the e-commerce facility but they have two levels of personal accounts one is $40 and the other $60. If you go to their site SmugMug dot com and click on features they have a great chart of what plans have what
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4

Linda, with Flickr now increasing their free space and I think even free people ( not pro account people ) can download full resolution pics, there's probably no need for a pro account now. I have a pro account too. But I'm not sure what the benefit is now apart from unlimited space beyond 1TB.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

11. I also use smugmug and love it. I like that I can keep the galleries private and set up password access to individual galleries. It will also give you links to galleries that you can copy into e-mails. I primarily use it to share with family but it is also great for sharing pictures with families from the kids classes at school or other activities.
    Teresa

Is Smug Mug a paid site? And can you download full res photos?
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Yes they have 4 levels of 'membership' but all have unlimited storage, etc the prices depend more on whether you want to sell photos or not Their support people are amazing to
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4

My entire family, my husband's family and all of my best friends use Flickr.
    That way we can all share photos.
    With my stepson living in GA, my sister in WA, and the rest of us all over Sweden and in various European countries it's perfect!

The difference between the paid membership and the free one since they changed things at Flickr is that the paid ones don't get advertisments!
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

15. Thank you all! This helps so much to narrow it down to a few sites!
    LeAnne

Well I use Dropbox. One of the advantages of that is that it is private but you can send anyone a link. Flickr is public or only visible by other Flickr members who are your friends or family. Another advantage is that if you arrange pics in an album in Dropbox the visitor can download the entire album as a zip file.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I have a girlfriend who just started working for SmugMug but haven't had a chance to chat with her about it. I'll have to look into that one!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon