Thread: Mountain Lion and Lightroom 5

1. Mountain Lion and Lightroom 5

So, I just tried to download the trial for Lightroom 5 (being a bit fed up with the spinning wheel caused on my MacBook Pro every time I use ACDSee). Ack! I need to upgrade to Mountain Lion (or, at least Lion) just to use LR5! I still have Snow Leopard.

Now that Mountain Lion has been around for a while, do those of you that use it feel the bugs have been worked out? When it first came out there were so many complaints that I thought I'd hold off until I absolutely had to upgrade, and now I guess that day has come, if I want to use LR. I'd love to hear your feedback and advice before I upgrade to either Mountain Lion or LR5. TIA!

2. I have had no problems with Mountain Lion, Liz. I am using Lightroom 4, but, I do plan to upgrade to LR 5 one of these days soon.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

I have not had any problems with Mountain Lion but I do have a lot of memory. It ran fine with LR4 and now also with LR5. I absolutely love having my supplies in a LR catalog. Love love love it. I just checked and I have 107,600+ items in that catolog. (Remember now LR 'sees' all those png files too.) It is slow to open and I keep meaning to disable the fancy logo that shows when opening. If I'm keywording a big group it does take time to enter all that data on the files but I can see the progress in the progress bar on the top left.

If you are/were still on Snow Leopard I am wondering how much memory your MBP has Liz and how much of an issue that might be. I know...but we do go through computers in 5 years or so.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

4. I am worried about the memory too. How do I check that, Maureen? Thanks for your input ladies. I hate to think I already need to upgrade my 3? Year old MacBook. I swapped ou the hard drive for a 1T about a year ago, which has been great for storage but did nothing to help the memory issue, and it already runs too slowly for my liking.

Liz, there are actually two things to check. Well, more but...

Go up to the Apple Icon on the top left of any Mac and click. First option is About this Mac. Click. This will show you your processor speed (bigger is faster) and the amount of RAM Memory you have. My iMac has a 3.4ghz processor and I have 1T of storage on it ('physical' space for all those programs) and 8GB RAM memory but the option to go to 16gb which I haven't got round to doing yet.(i.e. installing the additional 8GB memory module from Crucial) Bone idle lazy.

As always, it's really really important to clear out those caches..by shutting down your PSE, LR and any other memory hog programs (Office too) when done. I don't turn my computer off at night but usually just put it to sleep but ...once a week at least, shut it off with all programs shut of course, so all those temp files will be deleted.

I know you can empty all your caches ( and there are a lot) by deleting .plist files but I forget how and if you're not comfortable doing things like that I wouldn't rec it. It's worth a trip to the Apple store to ask them to show you if you are really getting clogged. Those .plist caches auto rebuild just like the action and style .db3 rebuilds itself after you delete it and then reopen PSE - (I'm not sure about the name now but hope you know what I mean!)

You are clearing your browser cache frequently also aren't you? aren't you????? Cluttered computers get cranky. hth!

eta: I suspect the computer speed is never really fast enough to suit most of us...no matter what. I only thank all that be when I hear of someone who lives where s/he has to use dial up for a net connection. Yes I am spoiled rotten.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

6. Thanks, that was really helpful. My processor is 2.4 and I have only 4 gb memory. I do shut down my programs every day because I turn the computer off to take it with me. I cleared the cache pretty recently too. I think I am just going to have to go for it with Mountain Lion, and see how it goes. Thanks so much for your thorough response!

Liz, if you're in the market in the future for a new computer, check the refurbished ones. My dh who is really hard on his computers has been very happy with them.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

8. Maureen, I'm curious about you iMac. Do you have the fusion drive?

I'm ordering a new iMac this weekend during Missouri's education tax holiday (that save a LOT of $$ towards a iMac!). I'm getting the 21", 21.5-inch:
    2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    16GB memory
    1TB fusion drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M with 512MB

While I was at the store I tested a couple of macs with the fusion drive and they were lightening fast. The apple tech helped a bit. He told me I would probably be happier with spending my money of the fusion drive and 16 GB Ram than upgrading to faster processor. In a perfect world, I have it all, but since I want to stay under $1800, I think I'll settle for the entry 2.7 Quad core processor (which is still faster than the 2.6 duo core I have now).

What do you think about that?
    kelly
    Louisburg, KS

my blog

Kelly, I don't have a fusion drive (my iMac is mid 2011 variety) but a quick google says the fusion is a combo of an ssd and a hdd. I have a ...sigh! ...plain ol' hdd. I was asking my dh the other day about installing a ssd (solid state drive) and he gave me one of those looks that implies...And why do you need THIS now???

Since I was used to the old, sadly no longer sold, 24" iMac I was pretty sure I didn't want a smaller screen. I would take your tech's advice until I heard otherwise. I don't really have anyone to ask short of my dh and I think my questions, like these, are getting beyond his experience.

Again, googling the question of whether to get a faster processor or a ssd was overwhelmingly in favor of the SSD. Looks like the net agrees with your tech! and have FUN!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

10. Maureen, I did upgrade to Mountain Lion, and after the usual initial problems with any change everything is fine with it and i can see a noticeable increase in speed. Plus now i can use the icloud, which is pretty darn cool. Thanks for your encouragement.

So now I am testing out my trial in LR5, and I am thoroughly confused! I think I understand that one difference between ACDSee and LR is that in ACDSee you don't have to import any of your files, as the program sees the folders on your hard drive, and then shows them within the program in the tree/folder structure, and you can categorize from the tree structure. In LR you have to actually import what you want to keyword in the program, correct? So, what about for supplies you already had in a folder on your hard drive? You have to import those into LR in order to tag them, correct? As a copy, or do you use "add" for existing files?

And last, because I know the hard work you put into ACDSee categorizing (as I have too), were you able to convert your ACDSee catalog into the LR catalog, keeping your tags? Or did you have to start over importing/tagging in LR? That might be a deal breaker for me, I can't stand the idea of re-tagging it all! TIA.

Quick answer Liz. (I'm super busy right now.) LR does not have to keep your files in LR. BUT when you move them around, you need to do that IN LR otherwise when you go to look for them in the folders that you have imported, they are greyed out because LR cannot find the link location. Somewhere there is an explanation by Julianne Kost on the Adobe site that explains importing in various ways. I use ADD which does not duplicate my images. Mine remain on my hard drive and it's like an alias in LR.

I think Kayla Lamoueaux's free LR tutorials on using LR for digi storage are the best I've found. I found that some of my ACDSee tagging imported and some didn't. I suspect I did not always embed and in my later tagging I was using the cheaper App, not the full program. That is the kind of thing Kayla refers to as her 'prenup'. When you tag in LR, the tagging imports into other programs but not vice versa. hth!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

12. It helps a lot, thanks!

Yes, Lightroom is the same as ACDSee in that the files reside in whatever folder structure you have on your computer. When I import I choose the option of linking to files in their current location (not moving or making copies). I've broken links quite a few times by renaming or moving folders on my computer, but with LR and it is very quick to relink. You just have to navigate to the file in its new location and LR automatically links all of the other files.
    I think the most confusing thing with LR was that the Library is the screen for browsing and tagging and previewing but it looks so much different from ACDSee!
    Are you just using it to tag supplies or for photos as well?
    I just love it SO MUCH for editing my images. I rarely use Photoshop for that any more. I've also used LR to create photobooks.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Esther your books are so gorgeous you could be an ad for LR's make a book tool!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

15. Thanks, Esther, that helps clarify too. I am still scratching my head about LR, but I just need to play around in the program more. I was thinking I might like it for photos too, because I am not that wild about iPhoto and the constant opening and closing of libraries. I wonder though, if you import thousands of photos and thousands of digital supplies into LR, will it bog down the program? My only real complaint with ACDSEE is the memory problem causing the constant spinning ball. I am not ready to upgrade the computer so I am hoping that LR will let me import thousands of images and still be lightening fast? Too much to hope for?

Are any of you worried about not being able to upgrade LR now that Adobe is going to the cloud? Do you think they will keep updating LR separately from the cloud? I am going to hate making an investment in LR and then have it unsupported if I don't use the Adobe cloud.

Liz my dear, I think you are asking for more than your computer can deliver. However, I do understand your desire for it all. I understand quite well. I opened LR to check it and it took about a minute to open and start showing me the images. However, once I shut down Calendar, Word, and Excel, it was a lot happier. (I've had to spend way too much time with those Microsoft memory hogs lately than I've liked. )

I don't have many photos in my LR Photo catalog and yes, it is lightening fast. I have 180,000+ images in my LR DIGI Catalog. It is not lightening fast by any means but it is not slow - once it opens. I find if I have kept it open for a day or so being used, I can see it really needs to shut down. What I know, for me, is I need to delete items I really don't want any more. Once again, I want it all..the stuff and speed.

I too have had it with iPhoto except I have years of images in several libraries and it does give me a place to automatically see my images from my phone- again, that is my ONLY camera. I select the ones I want per week, export them to a Week 15 e.g. folder and then import that folder into LR. I really don't care if my images remain in LR after doing some editing tho right now the week by week ones are there and it's a nice way to see that collection. I also import from iPhoto and keep in LR all my trip images, imported by day since that's how I scrap them.

I am mostly done being fed up with Adobe Cloud concept and the switch to 'keep buying or lose your program' and will stick to LR5 as long as it's operational on my computer. Buying LR with my student discount was $79. basically the same as PSE each time I buy it at Costco. I always buy hard copies not downloads tyvm Adobe. pffft It's hard to say what they will do when new versions come out in hard copies - LR and the whole Photoshop/CS/PSE suites - or even if they WILL come out in hard copies as new versions. New changes/upgrade goodies are constantly happening with the cloud versions as I understand it. I only upgraded to LR5 from LR4 for that .png visibility. That allows me to see almost all my supplies tho it would take a lifetime to keyword all of them but I cannot always see what's in a kit from the kit preview. Old eyes!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

17. Maureen you just raised a point I hadn't thought about. So, I could have a LR catalog for photos and a separate catalog for digi supplies? Can you open them both at the same time?

Thanks for the reminder to get the hard copy of the program. Good point. I ways do that with PSE too.