Thread: street photography

Hybrid View

street photography

Sharing an interesting tidbit from today... had lunch with a friend at an outdoor cafe on Pearl Street Mall in Boulder (Mork and Mindy days for those of you old enough to remember)... such a great place to people watch and apparently many others thought so too... there was a steady stream of people practicing their street photography... some subtle and some not so... camera on chest or at the hip... lens cap off... trying not to be noticed but snapping away... the mall is filled with buskers... street people... interesting characters and just some charming things to take in... got me interested again in practicing this fun type of photography...

Yes I remember Mork and Mindy!!!

I would so love to do this, but I'm really unnerved by it. Such big privacy laws here, and I'd be frightened I'd get a punch on the nose. I tried doing it at a Rockerbilly Festival i went to last year and got some really strange looks. Hey! They were the ones dressed up, surely they wanted to be noticed walking around the festival. Any tips to not look conspicuous?
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

http://digital-photography-school.co...et-photography
    Hope it's ok to post this link... love this site for photo tips and inspiration... I'm with you Carol... can be a bit intimidating but... just point and shoot... so much info on the big wide web... I think respect might be the key word here... I keep going back to Vivian Maier and what she did so many years ago... life's little moments... just give 'em your sweet smile Carol and you won't get your nose punched...

Nah-noo, nah-noo!

If I'm close enough, I usually ask if I can shoot. Otherwise, carry a long lens and just snap away.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

5. I'd love to be able to do this! I passed on a shot of a Klingon in the grocery store, and one day last week had the perfect shot, a female cyclist at a drive through ATM. I didn't want her to think that I was trying to catch her PIN.
    Susan

I have seen so many amazing street photography photos! I've have never given it a go though.
    Susan, that's too funny!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

It's fun to try this ...subtly...with an iPhone. Someday I may try one I did in NYC again. Shooting down and taking images of just the legs going by. It started to rain though!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

this is something i struggled with for quite some time until i saw this post by our communitite's amazing kathie02, http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...truder&cat=500. when she said that by taking the photo it caused her to think of him day to day, my perspective changed from outsider to insider. Clearly not all of our photos would carry this impact but for me it drew a line in the sand.
    Debbie