Thread: Looking at a new dslr

1. Looking at a new dslr

Hello

My shutter on my faithful 300D has finally given out so it is time to replace it. I would appreciate some opinions on some camera's that I am considering for purchase.

My budget needs to stay below $500 (probably the lower the better since we are relocating to FL) and I am sure any of these cameras would be a significant upgrade from my 300D. I am looking at the canon t3 and t3i refurbished and I am also considering the Nikon D3100.

The only lense that I use is the canon 50mm 1.8 which I love. It is not expensive so I do not mind giving it up if the D3100 would be a better deal over all.

I would love to hear about how these cameras preform in low light using the higher ISO with the kit lenses. The highest ISO I currently use is 400 because anything above that is to grainy. And would also like to hear about the IS vs VR lenses. And just any pro's and con's for these cameras.

Also, any experience with buying used or refurbished cameras and where did you buy them. I purchased the 300D from a good friend of my husbands so we knew it had been well cared for so I am a little concerned about buying from a seller off the web.

Thanks for your help.

Teresa
    Teresa

Firstly exciting times lie ahead for you....a new camera, how wonderful!
    I shoot with Canon and love them! My 50mm lens sits on my camera 95% of the time and is light and portable. It is super sharp and captures beautiful images. It is head and shoulders above a standard 18-55mm lens that comes with entry level Canons.
    So.....the Canon t3 is an amazing little camera (my sister has it). I think you will definitely find the iso better than your 300D - Canon technology has moved on in leaps and bounds. My advice - buy the body only and use it with your 50mm!
    Good luck! X
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

3. How exciting! Also a Canon girl! I agree with Georgina, just go for the body with your 50 mm and purchase other lenses when you can afford them. I purchased a 60D last year and am continually amazed by its' low light capabilities. One of the reasons that I bought it was because it has a flip out view screen that I could use as a viewfinder to help me compose macro shots at low angles (I have back issues). It has, 'though not as easily as I had hoped. I think that I will improve with practise. It sure makes using the timer easier, as you can flip it around to see the shot when setting up.
    I love my IS lenses, and subscribe to the theory that you should buy the best lens that you can afford.
    You'd have to find a pretty sweet deal on the Nikon and a kit lens to top spending on a Canon body and continuing to use your 50 mm! Good luck and happy shopping!
    Susan

I too am a Canon girl!! I don't think you could go wrong with Nikon either. Just keep in mind that their $100 50 mm lens is not compatible with all models. Before upgrading my camera, I had the T2i. A great camera!! I didn't like going over 800 ISO, but if push came to shove, I would go up to 1600. I have a good noiseware software in PS!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

5. Thanks for your input! I decided to go with the Canon t3i after I found a refurbished one from the canon store with an additional 20% off. It was a great deal and made the decision so much easier. I haven't even put my 50mm on it yet, but even with the kit lens the pictures are beautiful. And I really like the screen in back that shows the ISO, shutter speed, light metering, etc. Makes it so much easier to adjust in manual mode before I use the view finder to take a picture. So much to learn now, but it will probably have to wait until we get moved this summer.
    Teresa

How exciting!! Enjoy your new camera!!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

7. Woo hoo! Can't wait to see some new photos! Congratulations!!
    Susan

8. congrats!

Oh we'll done you! You must be thrilled! Enjoy!
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7