Thread: Lightroom 4 Slow?

Lightroom 4 Slow?

I was thinking about upgrading to LR 4 while it's still a box product but have read that it's super, super slow. I have a 4 year old imac. Just wondering if anyone here has trouble with LR4? It looks like LR 5 will require OS X 10.7 which I don't have. I'm using LR 2. What would you do? Thanks!
    ~Karen~

My gear: imac, CS5, Nikon D90, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8.

LR 4 has not been at all slow for me and I've been working with two catalogs all along. But then again, it's all in what you've got running and your memory and processor speed. I am testing out LR5 because my main use of LR is for a digi catalog. My images are the secondary catalog. eta: I'm using OSX 10.8.3
    Last edited by maureenreynolds; 05-09-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: addition
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

I have LR4 on a PC. It is atrociously slow!! I still have LR2 and it leaves LR4 for dead. LR4 would take up to 10 seconds to go from one photo to another. I googled about the issues and found whole threads devoted to speeding LR4 up. I tried them all and they made a bit of a difference but I still need to swallow a patience pill every time I use it. The thing that made the biggest difference was something really rediculous - to export a DNG file!
    I wish LR2 could share the catalog with LR4 so I could use LR2 for tagging and culling, and use LR4 for editing and creating books!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

4. Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    I was thinking about upgrading to LR 4 while it's still a box product but have read that it's super, super slow. I have a 4 year old imac. Just wondering if anyone here has trouble with LR4? It looks like LR 5 will require OS X 10.7 which I don't have. I'm using LR 2. What would you do? Thanks!
    My iMac is 4 years old and I run LR4 on it. I don't think it is slow. It is not always instantaneous, but I wouldn't say it was slow.
    kelly
    Louisburg, KS

my blog

5. I finally got LR4 this year, I love LR but it is very slow on my pc. However, I am not sure if it is just LR or if it is because of my older pc.
    Teresa

Thanks for the input, everyone!
    ~Karen~

My gear: imac, CS5, Nikon D90, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8.

Had no problem with LR4 until now with larger raw images from the new camera. I have downloaded LR5 to see if there is an improvement in speed but it is even worse. I hate the cloud idea for Adobe products and even more so that it requires more frequent computer upgrades just to run the software.....
    Carolyn

Blog: House of Amson

My Camera: Nikon D300
    Lenses Include: Nikon 18-200, Nikon 50 mm 1.8 and 1.4, Tokina Macro 100mm 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (newest indulgence)

I have no interest in the Cloud and hope and pray that LR5 is a stand alone also. I reeeeeallly want it for the ability to see .png files! I mean REALLY!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

I read that LR5 is still stand alone.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets