Thread: Am I going to regret this years down the road?

Am I going to regret this years down the road?

So last month my hubby finally caved and bought me an iPhone. (I will admit, for the camera ) And I've barely TOUCHED my big camera since I got the phone. I take a ton of images, nothing too terribly fancy, really just "snapshots" of life. Great for PL but my question is this...
    Do you think that 5-10 years down the road, those of us who went from Big fancy cameras, and technically correct images to iPhoneography will regret not having "as many" stellar images? I think I will have MORE photos of my kids and our everyday which I am thrilled about. And I plan on using my big camera still, but Im finding that for occasions where I would normally LUG it around and love to click away, I just leave it at home and use my phone. I know there is no "right" answer here, just wondering your thoughts on this, and if you've also considered it.
    Maybe I just need to be more intentional about bringing it out more often. There are many times when I catch a fantastic-wall-worthy-shot during a normal nothing fancy just clicking away moment. I guess Im worried Im missing those....?
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

I am with you sister. I don't even want to admit the few times my fancy camera came out in the past month. I have taken TONS of photos with my iphone. But, you know... I am loving the discreetness. When I pull out the big guns I get everyone's attention and find that I won't pull it out when I want to snap away. I love that I am able to get decent images of our everyday life. And, I have to say... the iphone does take way better pictures than my previous phone.

Let's face it I probably have double or even triple the amount of pictures than most moms I know. But, when I see all the fuzzy phone pictures on FB I do think they will regret not using a better camera for the big moments. For example Hannah is about to graduate from Kindergarten (sniff sniff) and I wouldn't dream of using my iphone. The big camera is coming and so is the giant lens

But, this summer is going to be about balance and I am going to make myself get out that fancy camera more often! Even though... we will be at Water World or the pool and my underwater camera gets a lot of mileage in the summer months

Maybe I have too many cameras..... NAHHHHHHH!

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I think that in your stage of life (Bailey and Jen) that the main reason for taking photos is to capture your kids and family life. I don't think that the camera or the quality matters as much as the memories that those photos will provide. I do agree with you, Jen that you should take the big camera for the big moments. :O)
    ~Kelly

4. Bailey and Jen.... I'm with Kelly I don't think the quality matters as much. You all are getting amazing photos with your phones and I'm pretty sure when they are printed they are pretty fantastic...not as good as with the "big" camera.... but I think its more important to enjoy your moments now with what ever way you have to record them....use the big camera when you feel the need...
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

The best camera is the one you have with you.

I think for those of you whose children are used to the big camera, it works. But more people freeze up when they see that big black thing come out. My dil takes many of the formal prom pictures and they're great but ...the most natural ones are the ones taken with phones where people are being themselves. There's a place for each kind of camera but really for a mom? do your shoulders a favor and stick to your phones most of the time.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

You won't regret it one bit!! You are still capturing moments that you may not have otherwise. It can be a pain to lug around the big camera and lens. I'm sure you will be wise to know when it is best to pull out the "good" camera and put it to use!! Like the others have said, cell phones have come a long way with their camera!! Enjoy your iPhone! I LOVE mine!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Interesting thought Bailey. Kind of makes me think of the period of years that mum and dad took slides rather than photos. Sure it would be nice to have better quality, but hey, the slides still contained precious memories, and a far sight more than what other people have (present company excepted)

Your photography is brilliant, whether it's your big girl camera or iPhone. I say keep doing what you're doing, whatever is right at the time, bearing in mind you still have to live these memories too, not always stuck behind the big camera.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

8. I struggle with the decision of when to lug the big camera along, too. For example, today we took our 3 1/2 year old grandson on a little hike to a nature center near our home. I decided to rely on the phone camera because it sure is fun to walk without a heavy camera bag and just enjoy the scenery.

All of you young moms have way more photos and movies of your kids than my generation took of our kids who are now in their 40's, so, I would not feel badly if every photo isn't it an award winner. You will love every pic of them no matter what camera was used.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

I don't think so! I am taking so many more photos because it's so quick and painless. Love it! More pictures has to be good, right?
    ~Karen~

My gear: imac, CS5, Nikon D90, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8.

The only thing that you might "regret" later is having too many photos instead...
    I think I used my iPhone camera more the first 6 months or so, but now I'm back to using my point-and-shot and my DSLR as regularly as before!
    The only thing is different is that I now have photos of those occasions that didn't warrant a "real" camera earlier.
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

My iPhone is 'the original' iPhone so photo quality is not very good unfortunately. I do often pack my little point and shoot in my bag and whip that out, so I at least know I can quickly capture (and enjoy) the moment without all the fuss of fiddling about. And with kids, those moments pass pretty quick and I have found that by the time I have pulled the big guns out and fiddled with settings, the moment has passed anyway. It's not really how good your camera is anyway is it? It's the photographer behind the lens
    Jenelle

My Gallery

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I must admit that I detest my "old" photos from when my kids were little. I knew nothing about photography back then and the point and shoot I had was horrible. I think quality matters to a degree but fortunately the Iphone creates pretty good quality but I totally agree with Jen. For the special moments the big guns have to come along I also agree about the discreetness though, I noticed that about myself too, I will take the phone out more than I would my big camera On the other hand there have been quite a few shots where I wish I would have had my camera with me instead of the little phone, just last night we had this gorgeous sunset while on the road and the phone just doesn't cut it.... but oh well, at least I got it!!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

I don't know if you'll regret it, or if I will either. Because, like you, I find that I take most of my photos with my iPhone these days. It's always there, the pictures are "good enough" and I'm capturing way more than I ever did before.
    Jodi
    LOVES it here!

Camera: Canon 60d
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3

I think the iPhone is revolutionizing the way the world takes pictures, so you might as well jump along for the ride!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I guess it's all about balance and what works for you! I love my big camera - and try to keep it light with my 50mm lens but sometimes it's just not practical to lug along!
    Memories are precious - so however you capture them works for me!!!
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

I've been thinking about this question since I read it earlier Bailey. I think when people don't have an eye for photography like you do, the iPhone has become an amazing camera. I can tell you that I have taken some of my favorite photos with either my iPhone or my point and shoot. That said, for me, it comes down to whether you want to preserve a memory, or whether you want to preserve a memory while you are creating a finer quality of art.

I want both.

I think Thess made a great point that the iPhone gives us the ability to take more photos that we wouldn't have otherwise been able to get. I remember when Jake was born, I was told that grabbing 1 mp stills from my video tape camera (!!!) would be a great solution for a digital camera. Now looking back, I wish I would have had the functionality of my SLR when I was so willing to use those horrible snap shots. Not that it's the same now - the gap is closing between iPhone and DLSR. But still, they're not even close. I'm not throwing my iPhone away for sure. But since I know how to use a DSLR, I feel obligated to make the best images I possibly can (most of the time). I think it would be different if you weren't such a fabulous photographer.

I grab the "extras" - the project life moments with my iPhone all the time. I am a HUGE Instagram lover. Sometimes my iPhone takes the photo of the day. I'm not going to miss a shot because I only have my iPhone or Point and Shoot on me for sure. But for life's planned moments (that are on dry land), it's got to be my DSLR.

Curious what you think now that you have read all of these opinions.

ETA - one more thing, if you want to use your big camera, you have to keep it out and ready. Mine sits on the dining room table 99% of the time. It's set and ready to go. But the funny face at the grocery store gets my iPhone.

During one of the online photo classes I took a few years ago, someone asked the instructor what the best camera was and she answered 'the best camera is the one you have with you.' and then went on to explain that she never regrets 'getting' a photo no matter what camera she used.. she only regrets when she doesn't get it.. I do love my DSLR but find the IPhone (I have the 4S) as good as any point & shoot I've ever had and so convenient. When I look back at some of the really old photos I have from the 20s, 30s, etc the quality is horrible but I still love them so I'm guessing 60 or 70 years from now someone will love our IPhone photos as well :-)
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4

I am just like this, Jen! 3 Cameras.... different uses. Nice for discreet phone pics, love the P&S for Summer Running around, but the big one still comes out often too and it's usually for the important moments! And for nice photos around the house when I think of it vs my phone that is usually in hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen D View Post
    I am with you sister. I don't even want to admit the few times my fancy camera came out in the past month. I have taken TONS of photos with my iphone. But, you know... I am loving the discreetness. When I pull out the big guns I get everyone's attention and find that I won't pull it out when I want to snap away. I love that I am able to get decent images of our everyday life. And, I have to say... the iphone does take way better pictures than my previous phone.

Let's face it I probably have double or even triple the amount of pictures than most moms I know. But, when I see all the fuzzy phone pictures on FB I do think they will regret not using a better camera for the big moments. For example Hannah is about to graduate from Kindergarten (sniff sniff) and I wouldn't dream of using my iphone. The big camera is coming and so is the giant lens

But, this summer is going to be about balance and I am going to make myself get out that fancy camera more often! Even though... we will be at Water World or the pool and my underwater camera gets a lot of mileage in the summer months

Maybe I have too many cameras..... NAHHHHHHH!
    LoriS

My Gallery