Thread: Flash gun

Flash gun

I'm a natural light kinda girl but....I've been finding myself in a few photography situations when a flashgun would be useful.
    Do I need to keep looking for the light (and using a high ISO - thank goodness for my 5D MII & LR!) or is is time to bite the bullet and invest?
    Have you got one? What make/model? Do you use it much? What would you recommend? Any comments/suggestions will be most useful! xx
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Are you talking about an external flash? I couldn't live without mine! It doesn't matter how much you crank that ISO ... if you have bad indoor lighting it is bad no matter what! Bouncing flash is magical Also, fill light is amazing when used properly outdoors.

I have the canon 580EX and I have the 430EX too. There is more power in the first but it is a battery sucker!

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I have the 430EX. I love bouncing flash and using the flash off-camera. I can't say which specific flash is best. There are other brands that are cheaper but work just the same. The important thing is that the flash works with your camera for TTL (Through The Lens) for adjusting the amount of exposure. If you want more than one flash so you can light from multiple angles then I thing the 580EX is good as the master, controlling the other flashes.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    If you want more than one flash so you can light from multiple angles then I thing the 580EX is good as the master, controlling the other flashes.
    This is why I have both. But, I started with the 430EX and it did great

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I have the 580EX as well. I don't use it often, but when I do, I love it!! I'm sure I'll be using it tomorrow. Talisa opted for a night birthday party so we could go snowmobiling on her actual birthday. EEK!! Hope I get at least one good photo!! But I don't want to be behind the camera all night either!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Thankyou girls - that's all such useful information. I think I will go for the 430 - it's big brother is a bit out of my price range!
    Ooh, exciting times. I always love new kit! Just so happens I have a 21st birthday party to go to tomorrow and I really wanted to take my 5D and not my 500D with the inbuilt flash. Looks like I'm going to be able to now! Off to buy my flashgun!!! X
    Georgina

Quick update!!
    I bought the Canon 430EX II and LOVE what it can do in low light situations. I couldn't have managed to capture the shots I got at the 21st birthday party without it. Of course, I'm still learning and whilst ever I can find the light I'll use it - BUT if it's dark then this little gem will be happily sitting aboard my camera! Highly recommended!!
    Georgina

8. So happy for you, Georgina!
    Susan