Thread: Questions about RAW

Questions about RAW

Help, I'm confused!!
    For the last couple of weeks I've been shooting JPG & RAW with my camera so I could really look into the difference between the two.

I've uploaded them all onto my iMac, no problem, and can view both formats with the previewer(?) no problem.

But now I have no idea where to go with them!? Normally I would edit in PSE then fluff about with presets in LR. Done.
    But neither PSE or LR will let me open/import the RAW files!!

I have a Nikon D600 that is shooting JPG & RAW (shows as NEF files), Lightroom 2, and PSE 10.

Do I need to upgrade LR or PSE, or do I have to convert the NEF files to something else (like DNG? and how do you do that?), or do I need plugins for LR or PSE, or ... ???
    I've googled, looked on Nikon and Adobe, and I'm stuck !!

Can anyone help cos I really don't know what I'm talking about .

Thank you.
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

You might need to get an upgrade for LR2. I installed LR2.0 recently and had to get the upgrade before it would read CR2 (Canon raw) files. I thought I was going insane until I figured it out! I now have LR v2.7
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I have LR 3 and under Lightroom/Preferences you may need to check under file handling to make sure you have the most recent version of Camera Raw under the Compatibility drop down. It may be that you have a newer camera and the Camera Raw you have for LR may be old and not support your camera version. You should be able to download the latest version of Camera Raw from Adobe.

Just my thought for the RAW files.
    Wendy

To get from 2.0 to 2.7 I just went to the Help menu and chose Check for updates
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

in pse 10 i only draw them from acdsee into pse and acr opens. i can also do this with more than one file at once. of course i don't know if this works the same on a mac.
    alina
    ~~~~~~~~~
    laptop hp pavilion g with 2nd monitor, pse 10, lightroom 3, acdsee 14
    camera: samsung galaxy I and canon 600d (rebel T3i), lenses: canon EF 50 mm 1:1.8 II, canon EFS 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

Lightroom only came out with the D600 update a couple of months ago. You will not be able to read the nef files from this camera until you install this update. I am running lightroom 3.
    Carolyn

Blog: House of Amson

My Camera: Nikon D300
    Lenses Include: Nikon 18-200, Nikon 50 mm 1.8 and 1.4, Tokina Macro 100mm 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (newest indulgence)