Thread: New here and to the craft

New here and to the craft

Hi! I am just getting into scrap booking after the birth of my son. My mother in law happily gave me access to some of her paper supplies, but I find it is difficult with a baby to get everything like I want it. I have little bits everywhere! I am exploring the option of digital scrap booking and am looking for advice. I haven't even decided on what software I am going to get . I am leaning toward pse though. I have family that can help me with learning that one.

Anywho... Nice to meet y'all.
    I wish I was a glow worm, cuz a glow worm's never glum. How can you be gloomy when a light shines out your bum!

PSE is the perfect choice! Welcome to DD, hope to see some pages from you soon!

Welcome! You came to the right place for help. This community is a helpful lot I would say that if you have family that is familiar with PSE I say go for it! I would venture it is the software most used for digital scrapbooking.

Plus, the store is packed full of helpful tutorials that will help you along the way! http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi....php/cPath/167

This is the one I started with ... way back when

http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...oducts_id/3944

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Welcome to DD -- with a new baby, you'll love the efficiency of digital scrapping. There's no mess to clean up; just close the application and you're done. I started with PSE; it's a great program. Looking forward to seeing your pages in the gallery.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

5. Welcome to DD! My son is almost 8 months old so I'm right there with you and digi is definitely the way to go!
    Brittany
    My Blog

Welcome! What an exciting time to get into scrapbooking. I second (or third or fourth) PSE, it's what I've been using since I started.

I started digital for the same reason, when my daughter was starting to walk, she was getting into my scissors and tape and stuff, and as a family we could never have dinner together because our only table was always covered with my paper supplies. That and I got tired of running out of adhesive at midnight!

Welcome, and I hope you make a decision and get on your way to some beautiful digital pages.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

7. Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your pages in the gallery!
    Susan

8. Hello and welcome, welcome!

Advantages of digital over paper scrapping:
    1. Instant gratification when buying supplies. Simply download from the store 24/7 when you need something.
    2. No mess to pick up and put away to keep from little hands or when company is coming!
    3. Once you get the hang of it, it really is quicker to create pages digitally. You can keep them simple or get as fancy as you like.
    4. There are templates you can buy and use that speed up the process of creating pages or even whole albums.
    5. Concentrate on capturing all the memories with your camera instead of cutting, gluing, cleaning up, etc.
    6. Lots of tutorials to help you learn PSE.
    7. and, if you really miss paper scrapping, you can make hybrid pages that include both mediums. Digital designs can be printed out on your home printer to use on paper pages.

Jump right in and start! We're all here to help and cheer for you, too!
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

Welcome! You've chosen the right place to get started! Just give a yell if you're stuck on anything. We're all glad to help. I look forward to seeing your first pages!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

10. Welcome to DD! Congrats on your new addition!

There are definite advantages to digital over traditional with a small child in the house. I did traditional when my kids were small. I remember once when my son got into a few pages. I caught him pretty quickly, but not before he turned his "first year" page into a "first ear" page.

Welcome to DD and congratulations on that baby This is a good time to start, you sure want to preserve those memories. Believe me, the years just fly by and they will be teenagers! I started out with paper myself and I still have an attic room full of supplies, a total mess, believe me
    Once I found digital scrapping, there was no turning back for me. I love the easy access, the fact that I can do it while talking to my kids, sitting at the same table, no messes, no bulky pages, it's just perfect!
    I hope you will join us, this is a great community, it's become my second family in a way, so stick around and share
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Welcome and you have definitely come to the right place. The member's here are so helpful and the inspiration in the gallery is just awesome. PSE is probably the best software to use for this craft as most tutorials are geared towards this software or the full version of PS. Digi is far better than paper scrapping as you can use your supplies over an over and change the color is needed. Good luck.
    Wendy

13. Congratulations on the little one - You will love digital scrapbooking its a perfect way to remember all those fantastic .... and not so fantastic moments that you will laugh about years later....welcome you have came to the right place.... and during the quarterly sale everything is on sale to get started!!!
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb

Welcome to DD! I started scrapping after my daughter was born, it is a fun hobby. I did paper for a couple of years, but love digi now for its ease of fitting in with family. I can save a half-finished page and go back to it later without having to place it very carefully up high where little hands can't get to it!

I'd go with PSE too, you can try the 30 day trial first and see how it suits you, and ask any questions you need, we're a friendly, helpful bunch here.
    Chrissy x

My software: PSE 6 for Mac, run on my super-shiny new Macbook Pro!, yay!
    My camera: Canon EOS 600D, wheeee!!!! or still my trusty IXUS 950IS, or more likely my iPhone 4S

My blog

Welcome! You will find this such a rewarding craft, and well digi is just so clean and tidy which is why I love it.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Welcome! I wish I had started out doing digi when I had my first baby. It is so much easier and efficient and no mess! You've come to the right place. We were all newbies once so please shout out if we can help with anything
    Jenelle

My Gallery

Welcome to DD!!! I use PSE and it's perfect for digi scrapping!! You will find everything you need here.......from amazing products, help, advice and tutorials, right through to a gallery bursting with beautiful inspiration!!!!
    Carolynn

My camera: Canon EOS 1000D
    My lenses: f/1.8 50mm, 18-55mm
    My software: Lightroom 4, PSE 9

Welcome welcome!! You have definately come to the right place!! I see you've been linked up to some great tutorials...the ones that got me started too!! I started digi scrapping after my second was born. She'd sleep right by me while I scrapped! There are SO many benefits to digi!! Easy clean up! Use the same thing multiple times! Easy undo!! (No more "oops, I cut that wrong) shop from your own home. Everything is stored on the computer, rather than an entire room. Scrapbooks aren't bulky like the traditional ones....they actually close I could go on!

My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Welcome, and looking forward to "seeing" you in the gallery! I wish I had started with digi, because I have soo many paper supplies laying around, that I will never use and digi is so much faster and cleaner!

I'm with JenD, I started with that tutorial too and haven't looked back. It's easy to follow and very user friendly. Good luck and have fun, and remember there is no "stupid" questions!... When I first started, I didn't even know how to download and open the digi files, so ask away if you have any questions, everyone is very friendly and helpful here!