Thread: instagram help needed!

1. Unhappy instagram help needed!

I am very, very new to Instagram. My iPhone is only weeks old and I want to do everything with it at once I'm finding!

I downloaded Instagram and I do love taking shots with it . . . but today I found when uploading one of the pics to a layout with a 4"x4" frame, that my photos are not large enough increase to that size or to print. One shot was only 9K and another that I love is only 13KB and all are only 150x150.

I know that some of you print your instagrams and I've seen Instagram photos on PL pages. I even saw a small printer advertised that will print Instagram photos recently. Mine aren't large enough to print larger than about 1.5 inches square!!! I must be doing something very wrong. Haven't gone to Instagram's help
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Are you taking the photo with the Instagram app? If so, that might be the problem, but I am just guessing. I always either take my photo with the Iphone camera or I use PicTapGo and then put it on Instagram from there. You should have a printable photo from either one of those apps. I have used photos for my pages from both of them and they seem to be fine.
    Hope this helps
    Joanne

My Gallery

Camera: Canon 6D
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm
    Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
    PSE 12 on a PC

3. Thanks so much Joanne . . . I didn't know that I could transfer photos into Instagram for "doctoring" and I didn't know about PicTapGo either. I have seen that one mentioned but had no idea what it was.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens

4. Hi Mollie! You will have fun with Instagram! When I started I took my photos with my iPhone camera and then opened up Instagram and there is an option to choose from your iPhoto library. I still use this method, but, I also like to use the Pic Tap Go app to edit a photo first and from that app you can access Instagram.

There is so much the iPhone can do. I can understand why you want to try everything immediately!!
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

Instagram is so much fun!! I noticed you joined!! So exciting! I frequent instagram more often then FB!! I too take photos with the camrea on my phone, rather than using instagram. I like pic-tap-go as well. Love that we can change the opacity of a filter....wish instagram would do this too!! Enjoy!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I use Instagram but never take photos with the app itself!
    I either use the regular camera or the app Hipstamatic (my absolute fave).
    I need to check out pic-tap-go!
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

Pic-tap-go is a must have. It is what finally pushed me over the edge to buy my iphone

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

8. Hmm. Well I don't have pic tap go and my instagram photos are 1440 by 1440 and about 994 KB.
    I take the photos through instagram. I have an original saved to my photo library.
    I downloaded my instagram photos to my iPhoto (now that my big camera photos are going to Lightroom (do not under any circumstances ask how that is going!!!!!! (i.e.. poorly) )
    Does that help Mollie?

9. Thanks!! I wonder why your photos are so much larger than mine when taken through Instagram, Doris? I emailed Instagram with this question and have had no answer. I emailed them once before and got no answer as well.

P.S. My LIghtroom move isn't going well either . . . we are smarter than this, aren't we, Doris?
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

Hmm, now I'm curious to know if there's a quality setting just like our big cameras?
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

11. Ok I found this for you Mollie. http://lifeinlofi.com/2012/02/06/lif...nstagram-tips/
    Make sure you are saving your original photo and filtered photo. Could that be the issue?

So....I use Instagram occasionally. meaning I had to go look all this up.

On my iPhone 5 the Instagram app does not have a listing in the iPhone settings at all.

In the app itself if you go to Profile and select Options it has a choice:
    Save To Library
    Original Photos [on or off]

with it ON the images taken with the Instagram app are
    original.... 1.6 MBB 2448X3264
    the one posted after the app does my edits....587KB 2248X2448

Just in case you have a new iPhone 5, Mollie.
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

13. Quote Originally Posted by echogirl View Post
    Ok I found this for you Mollie. http://lifeinlofi.com/2012/02/06/lif...nstagram-tips/
    Make sure you are saving your original photo and filtered photo. Could that be the issue?
    Thanks, Doris. That is useful information in that Instamgram tips link you shared.
    Merrilee

14. Quote Originally Posted by iUma View Post

On my iPhone 5 the Instagram app does not have a listing in the iPhone settings at all.

Save To Library

TY, Uma! I have been trying to figure out why I can't find the Instagram icon listed in Settings. Even though I have an iPhone 4 I was able to upgrade to IOS 6 and evidently to change any settings in Instagram I need to do as you say. Thank you, I was able to check my preferences in the Instagram app itself, just like you said. I wanted to make sure I was saving the originals to my photos app and I was.

So, Mollie, I think when you get back up and running with Instagram you will be able to follow Uma's directions to make sure you are saving an original to your photos.
    Merrilee

15. oh thank goodness iUma (AKA the software goddess!) helped out! Love her!

Quote Originally Posted by echogirl View Post
    oh thank goodness iUma (AKA the software goddess!) helped out! Love her!
    NOW! That's a promotion I'll take since there are no Greek Goddesses of Software to offend!!

Glad I am useful. Maybe I'll start doing Instagram again thanks to Mollie!
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

17. Thanks patricia and doris!!!! I will look into this stuff as soon as i find an instamoment!!
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

18. Quote Originally Posted by readstoomuch View Post
    Thanks patricia and doris!!!! I will look into this stuff as soon as i find an instamoment!!
    LOL! You don't have many of those instamoments, do you, Mollie? You lead a full life keeping up with all your family and your wonderful hobbies.
    Merrilee

19. I just looked back at this thread this morning . . . thanks so much for the help girls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iUma View Post

Save To Library

Love this HELP Uma . . . I haven't messed with things since I first posted this query . . . I'm finding time today to do so. THANX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by echogirl View Post
    Ok I found this for you Mollie. http://lifeinlofi.com/2012/02/06/lif...nstagram-tips/
    Doris this is a big help too . . . thanks so much for tracking down this link!!! (((hugs)))
    Mollie

My DD Gallery