Thread: Please tell me about...

Please tell me about...

Your lenses and why you love (don't love) them! Also, which lens do you use the most and why and if you have a shot on a page in your gallery, if you could link to it so I can see the results. Thanks so much!

I have been consumed this week with deciding if I want an new camera body and then possibly a few lenses as well. I have a Canon 5D, and am considering any of the following bodies: 7D, 5D Mark II or 5D Mark III.

My main goal is to get better shots of my kids in motion and better general pictures in low-light situations. I am leaning towards the 7D (and keeping my 5D) for the better performance for action shots coupled with the crop factor extending the reach of the lenses.

Lenses I have:
    Canon 24-70 F/2.8L (I actually haven't used this in a while and switched to...)
    Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 (I use this b/c it is a lot lighter still with good quality photos)
    Canon EF-S 17-85 F/4-5.6 IS (will only fit on the 7D)
    Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 75-300 F4-5.6 (I have only used this once... I think I forget I have it, but it also doesn't take the best pics!)

Lenses I am considering (these prices are if I purchased new):

Canon 70-300 F/4-5.6 IS ($499)
    OR
    Canon 70-200 F/4L (with $1099 or without $559 the IS)
    (definitely getting one of these so your thoughts on which would be appreciated - don't want the weight of the F/2.8 or the high price!)

and one of the following
    Canon 50mm F/1.2L ($1,499)

Canon 100mm (between $499 and $899 depending on which model)

Would also love a wide angle but don't have a lot of use for it I don't think.

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

Really, no one wants to talk about their lenses?
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

Sorry I missed this one

I can say from what you have listed that I really enjoy my 70-200 f4. I only use it outdoors because it isn't good in low light... but I love it for my kids sports. I really take it anywhere I might be outdoors.

My 50 1.2 stays on my camera about 80% of the time.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

weelll...

I have a 50mm F/1.4 lens and find it has a very shallow dof at f/1.4. I find that a bit of a challenge. Mine is a Sigma and I would not recommend it.

My zoom is the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 which had excellent reviews compared to the more expensive Canon lens. I have been delighted with the photos I've been able to capture with it. It is the SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD Telephoto Zoom (NOT the 70-300mm Di LD) and is about $449 ($349 after rebate at bhphotovideo at the moment).
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I use my Canon 5D Mark II most of the time and I find that with my fastest lens, a 50mm f1.8, OUTSIDE, can catch water being sprayed in fountains. The best part is that I can catch my grandkids in their running, hopping, jumping, and rolling without blur.
    Lorna

My toys: Canon EOS 5D, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, macro 100mm
    My software: PSE v12, ACDSee Pro2
    My platform: I'm a Mac
    My blog: www.idiosyncrazies.wordpress.com

Photobucket

6. I got myself a 60D when I retired and I am very happy with it. I've found that it takes some time to get used to the high ISO. I LOOOOOVE my Canon 100 mm f/2.8, I use it all the time. I took my 24-70 f/2.8 to Cuba, wanted to take a more versatile lens, and I have to say that it grew on me. I have a Canon 50 mm f/1.8 and it doesn't get out much, but I am trying to use it more and playing with some night photography. Also love my 70-200 f/2.8 for sports. It is heavy, but the photos are so worth it, and my arms were very toned, LOL!
    Susan

I have the 50mm f/1.2 L and love it. I also have the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and am glad that I purchased it rather than the f/4. I purchased it for sports (soccer, swimming), but as my youngest is graduating HS in June I am starting to use it for other things. I also have the 24-70mm f/2.8 L and the 100mm f/2.8 L macro IS. All my lenses are canon. I probably have the 50 mm on most days, but take the 24-70 when I travel. I made peace with the weight issue ... I figure the weight helps tone my arms!

I've had the canon 40d for 4 years (prior to that I had a rebel). I opted to upgrade my lenses before the camera body. One of these days I will move up to a full sensor! You are welcome to come over and try the 50 and 70-200 out.
    Carol

my gallery

my flickr

Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, 50 mm f/1.2L, 24-70 mm f/2.8L, 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 100mm f/2.8L macro IS
    Software: Lightroom / CS5

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Elliott View Post
    I have the 50mm f/1.2 L and love it. I also have the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and am glad that I purchased it rather than the f/4. I purchased it for sports (soccer, swimming), but as my youngest is graduating HS in June I am starting to use it for other things. I also have the 24-70mm f/2.8 L and the 100mm f/2.8 L macro IS. All my lenses are canon. I probably have the 50 mm on most days, but take the 24-70 when I travel. I made peace with the weight issue ... I figure the weight helps tone my arms!

I've had the canon 40d for 4 years (prior to that I had a rebel). I opted to upgrade my lenses before the camera body. One of these days I will move up to a full sensor! You are welcome to come over and try the 50 and 70-200 out.
    WOW Carol... you have a bunch of the lenses I would love to snatch up. I may just have to take you up on trying a few out! :-)
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jen D View Post
    Sorry I missed this one

I can say from what you have listed that I really enjoy my 70-200 f4. I only use it outdoors because it isn't good in low light... but I love it for my kids sports. I really take it anywhere I might be outdoors.

My 50 1.2 stays on my camera about 80% of the time.
    Do you use the 50 for action as well with good results? If I were just following Kyle around in the yard would it be good for catching him running or jumping or whatever?

Is your 70-200 w/ or w/o IS? Do you ever miss shots that needed a faster lens? I would be using if for soccer and whatever other sports they get into in the future.
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

My head is spinning, I have no idea what the letters mean. L, IS, EF, etc. I mean I've seen them, but I'm clueless.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Wow - it sounds like a dream come true - upgrading your camera and lenses! I have the 5D mark 2 which I love. I have a friend who has the 7D - without a doubt the 7D is faster but the 5D M2 blows it out of the water with regard to noise in low light situations! It's horses for courses, I guess!
    I have the 50mm 1.4 which is on my camera 99.9% of the time. I don't like a lot of weight - I recently hired the 24-70 and it was just too much for me ( I am a bit if a weakling though!). There are times when I would just love a bit of extra zzzzzoooooommmm! If I was able to buy another lens I think I would go for the 70-200 f4. It's amazing quality!
    Good luck in your quest - so exciting!
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Quote Originally Posted by georgeinci View Post
    Wow - it sounds like a dream come true - upgrading your camera and lenses! I have the 5D mark 2 which I love. I have a friend who has the 7D - without a doubt the 7D is faster but the 5D M2 blows it out of the water with regard to noise in low light situations! It's horses for courses, I guess!
    I have the 50mm 1.4 which is on my camera 99.9% of the time. I don't like a lot of weight - I recently hired the 24-70 and it was just too much for me ( I am a bit if a weakling though!). There are times when I would just love a bit of extra zzzzzoooooommmm! If I was able to buy another lens I think I would go for the 70-200 f4. It's amazing quality!
    Good luck in your quest - so exciting!
    So you have kids... do you find the combo of the Mark II and 50mm 1.4 good for action shots too? By action I really just mean kids on the move.

And I totally realize that the camera and lens only get you so far. Your pictures are gorgeous and you obviously know how to find the right light/set your camera accordingly and compose a shot! :-)

Thanks!
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Julie DeGuia View Post
    Do you use the 50 for action as well with good results? If I were just following Kyle around in the yard would it be good for catching him running or jumping or whatever?

Is your 70-200 w/ or w/o IS? Do you ever miss shots that needed a faster lens? I would be using if for soccer and whatever other sports they get into in the future.

Yes I get great action shots with my 50

I don't have the IS version... but because it is so heavy I usually have it on a monopod or tripod. I walk the sideline anyway and this gives me the space to move other parents out of my way I use the HD video a lot for sports so that my kids have live action in between stills for their slide shows at the end of the season. If I didn't have a tripod I think I would get everybody sick :P But, it is fast enough to catch any sport event I have encountered.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I have to say the action shots I get are spot on with the 50mm 1.4 - it is a super fast lens. The only downside is when you are a little far away from the action (sometimes you need to be e.g. when we were sledging - I couldn't stand too close for fear of being mown down!). Although coupled with a fullframe camera you can crop, crop, crop and still end up with a good image! And of course it's great indoors too - because kids are never still inside either, right?!
    I would definitely say it is more than fast enough for kids and toddlers! x
    p.s thankyou for your sweet comments - I am always in awe of your photographs
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Here's my run down (though they've all been discussed)
    - 24-70 mm f/2.8 (I use this one basically if I need a wider angle)
    - 50 mm f/1.4 (this lens is on my body 90% of the time)
    - 85 mm f/1.8

I've rented the 70-200 f/2.8 several times and I've loved it, but it's a beast. Whatever you get, be sure that it has IS (Image Stabilization-Carol). Same thing with the macro, it's very sensitive so go with the $1000 lens with IS, unless you plan on always using a tripod!

Good luck with all of your decisions!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Quote Originally Posted by carollee View Post
    My head is spinning, I have no idea what the letters mean. L, IS, EF, etc. I mean I've seen them, but I'm clueless.
    LOL, there's so much info isn't there!! L and EF are the types of lenses/series telling you what kind of camera will fit on (crop vs full). I believe all lenses fit on a crop, but not all fit on s full frame. I had to sale some lenses when I upgraded.

IS stands for image stabilization, helps reduce camera shske

USM - it means the lens has a small motor built into the body. USM is short for UltraSonic Motor
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I am on a Nikon 700, but I think we are pretty much the same.
    I use the 24-70 2.8 almost all the time, gives a little more flexibility with the zoom etc.
    I have the 70-200 2.8 and I love what I can get with it, but it sure gives you arm muscles I think I might shoot the wedding this weekend with it, or at least the Church part
    I love my 50 1.4, it's soooo light compared to the others, but I do miss the zoom.
    I have the Tamron lenses, but I really do not like them as much...
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery