Thread: iphone or DSLR?

iphone or DSLR?

I just ordered my first iphone and am really looking forward to having it handy to grab all those snaps that I've been missing because I just didn't want to drag my big camera out. Don't get me wrong...I love, love my Nikon. But, I'm thinking I'm really going to enjoy being able to click and have a fun shot that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. So, true confessions...how much do you use your camera phone? Or are you good about keeping your DSLR handy and ready to go.
    ~Karen~

My gear: imac, CS5, Nikon D90, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8.

My DSLR is always near me... and I usually take it most places. But, I do love the ease of popping a quick shot with my phone. I don't have a fancy phone... I probaby would use it more if I did.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I use both. I prefer using my dSLR since the quality is much better. But there are times I just don't want to lug it around. I've even used photos from my iPhone on my PL! (Regular pages too!)
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I don't have a fancy phone either so I'm in the DSLR category.
    Brenda - wife, mother, animal lover!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

My DSLR is a heavy beast and I just can't lug it around everywhere. It is very freeing to be able to capture a memory with a p&s or iPhone. Bit that's all they do well. If I want beautiful portraits or narrow dof or it is dark then the DSLR is my preferred option.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I love my Nikon too Karen . But I truly love using my iPhone for capturing stuff when I don't have that with me. And there are plenty of times and situations when I personally don't want to be lugging the dslr around. I also think the quality of the photos from my iPhone 4S are awesome!

I love that I now don't have to miss a shot that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten, and for me the memory is more important than the quality any day .
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

Rarely use my phone camera as I am one who does not mind lugging around my dslr. Just an extension of me now.
    Carolyn

Blog: House of Amson

My Camera: Nikon D300
    Lenses Include: Nikon 18-200, Nikon 50 mm 1.8 and 1.4, Tokina Macro 100mm 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (newest indulgence)

I seriously think I need to do weights to build up the strength to carry my DSLR around!
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4

I got my first iphone for Christmas and I am loving it for taking photographs - I really did think I would struggle with the difference in picture quality between my DSLR and a camera phone but I have been surprised! I adore the effects you can get with instagram x
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Well you know I'm strictly an iPhone person but there are certainly times I wish I had a DSLR. I don't take portraits or professional shots but Saturday I was at my granddaughters' basketball games. The iPhone couldn't really cut it but at the same time, my dil didn't want to lug her DSLR around either.

I'd say test out your iPhone and learn how to use it best...like be sure to get familiar with the focus feature/hdr option etc. Then after time you'll see what works best for you.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

I used to carry my DSLR with me all of the time. I hate to admit it but I became very lazy over the last year and have used my IPhone a lot more.
    Terry

Terry's Tales

Gear: Nikon D60
    Software: CS4
    Platform: Mac

12. Thanks, Ladies! I've really appreciated being able to read all your comments.
    ~Karen~

13. I've become lazy and am using my iPhone more and more, however, this week I'm going to upgrade to a better dslr camera body and a new prime lens which I hope will renew my interest in using a dslr. We have winter for many months in Minnesota. I need a camera that lets me bump up the iso for more light when taking photos indoors.

In the meantime, I think a camera phone is lots of fun!
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

iPhones rock!! I have an SLR and the majority of photos I scrap with are taken with it. However I take a lot of photos with my iPhone too, I LOVE Instagram and the quality of the iPhone photo is amazing!! You can find lot's of articles online about iPhone photography, and there are lot's of accessories you can buy like fish eye lenses etc. You can also get lot's of amazing photo editing apps. Enjoy your iPhone and all the wonderful things you can do with it!!
    Carolynn

My camera: Canon EOS 1000D
    My lenses: f/1.8 50mm, 18-55mm
    My software: Lightroom 4, PSE 9

During vacations and other special occassions I always use my DSLR.
    But on my way to work or shopping I always use my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and the outdoor photos are very nice. The only thing I really miss on my phone is a good zoom option.

16. Thank you, all! I really appreciated hearing what you all do.
    ~Karen~

Sorry I'm late to the discussion, Karen, but I wanted to add that I love using my iPhone too when I can't carry my heavy dSLR around. There are great camera apps that help with focus and exposure and the editing apps are great as well. I have found that I take more photos as a result! More photos, more scrapping, and that has to be good!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Amy L View Post
    Sorry I'm late to the discussion, Karen, but I wanted to add that I love using my iPhone too when I can't carry my heavy dSLR around. There are great camera apps that help with focus and exposure and the editing apps are great as well. I have found that I take more photos as a result! More photos, more scrapping, and that has to be good!
    I'm exactly like Amy! And I use a lot of iPhone pics on my pages!
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

Quote Originally Posted by georgeinci View Post
    I got my first iphone for Christmas and I am loving it for taking photographs - I really did think I would struggle with the difference in picture quality between my DSLR and a camera phone but I have been surprised! I adore the effects you can get with instagram x
    Oh, I would love to follow you on Instagram Georgina! Do you mind sharing your user name? You could PM me...
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

I think for PL I will be using my iPhone a lot more. I think people would look at me crazy for having a big DSLR in the Costco parking lot! :-) But I bring my DSLR whenever I can and prefer to use that!

So the pic on this page of my youngest in a Costco cart is with my iPhone. And the three in the bottom left are Instagram pics with my iPhone.

And this page is done with pics I grabbed from my iPhone.

I love the monthly Instagram recap pages Tara does, and I love Brittany's PL project with all her Instagram photos! It certainly is a little more "freeing" sometimes!
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

21. Thank you all so much! I love hearing everyones take on this. I got my phone this week and am learning how to use it. I was just wondering what everyone's favorite photography apps are? Thanks!
    ~Karen~

22. Great photos and pages, Julie! Thanks so much for sharing.
    ~Karen~

Karen, a few months ago we had a photography chat with a lot of information on this topic. You may find the thread useful. Briefly, my favorite camera app for iPhone is ProCamera. My favorite editing app is Snapseed. There are lots available, though!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

My DH just got a new job which comes with a phone - so I get his iPhone hand-me-down! I used to have to borrow it to play with it. Now that it will be mine I'm suddenly much more interested in all things iPhone-ographic!

25. Thank you for that link, Amy, and the recommendations. I'll check those out and can't wait to have the time to read through that thread.

Esther, have fun! My hubby and I went on a walk today and I took over 75 photos!
    ~Karen~