Thread: Processing photos

Processing photos

I got a DSLR for Christmas - Nikon D5100.
    I have been shooting in raw, but I was wondering how
    everyone processes their photos and saves them.
    Do you save a jpeg as well as the raw file?
    I need to get some kind of process in place before
    I get too far behind.

I use Lightroom to process the photos and I do keep a Jpeg and the Raw version Finishing touches on the Jpeg are done in Photoshop

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jen D View Post
    I use Lightroom to process the photos and I do keep a Jpeg and the Raw version Finishing touches on the Jpeg are done in Photoshop
    I keep my photos by date. Do you have separate folders for jpeg & raw?

Nope, they are side by side. Because they are different file types they can share the same name

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I keep both files in the same folder (as Jen says they are different file types) if I think I may one day want to use the file again .. enlargement for print/framing/etc. If it is a photo that is a once use for a scrapbook page then I just keep the jpg once I have made any edits. I rename all my edited photos to "crop file# date" ... so in my monthly photo folder I have the edited jpg, the original jpg, and the raw if I keep it.
    Gail

i take raws and process them in pse. i usually don't save the jpg version, only if i give them to someone. i have my pictures folder sorted by date and when i have jpgs i save them there as well.
    my folder names are date-where i took them-event or object
    when i have a day with several wheres and whys i usually will have two or more folders.
    alina
    ~~~~~~~~~
    laptop hp pavilion g with 2nd monitor, pse 10, lightroom 3, acdsee 14
    camera: samsung galaxy I and canon 600d (rebel T3i), lenses: canon EF 50 mm 1:1.8 II, canon EFS 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

Thanks so much, this is great information.
    I assume that you would have to have a jpeg version
    to upload to a web site like Flickr.

I keep the raw and the jpeg. I process in Lightroom...my hard drive is filling up quickly...
    Jodi
    LOVES it here!

Camera: Canon 60d
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3

I also use Lightroom and keep both jpeg and raw in the same folder. I also use Lightroom to tweek the jpegs from my point and shoot camera that doesn't shoot in raw.
    Wendy

I process my RAW photos in Adobe Bridge and finish in Photoshop. I have gotten lazy and have been using some Florabella actions a lot lately in Photoshop which are so easy. I don't save a jpeg version unless I think someone else may need it or I might print for a framed photo in my house.
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Jodi, I'm taking a Lightroom class and today the teacher mentioned the difference in size between a raw (23MB) and the jpg 2+MB. I bet they add up! One word for you ....EHD!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5