Thread: Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Fell into a sweet TEMPORARY deal with this lens. Our school owns this lens, but has relatively "old" cameras. So our journalism teacher, knowing that I would be going to all the basketball games to watch Dell anyway AND taking pictures anyway, asked me if I would like to borrow the lens!! In return, I just have to take pictures of ALL the kids, not just Dell and provide copies for the school.
    I am SO excited and nervous!!!
    I looked this lens up on the Canon site .... ka-ching-KA-CHING!!! There is NO way I can afford it, but I know I'm not gonna want to give it back! So any suggestions on a comparable lens that would be easier on my bank account?? I figure I have about 9 months to save ... until football season next year.
    Brenda - wife, mother, animal lover!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

That is one fabulous lens. When I win the lottery that is the first thing I'll buy! You can get the original Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (without IS) second hand for about 1/3 of the price (eg Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM Lens | eBay) and even the original IS version for about 2/3 of the price (Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens | eBay).
    But they say the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is like a prime lens throughout its zoom range. I can only dream!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I got that baby for Christmas! Santa brought it a little early so I could capture Dec. You're right, it's incredible. I agree that you won't want to give it back. You can find some deals now at about half the price, on the first version of that lens. There is also the Tamron version. There are comparative reviews on YouTube, and it's supposed to be quite good.

4. I splurged on this lens after a busy weekend on call the year before last! LOVE it! It is what I took all of my rugby photos with. I rented one before hand, to shoot a rowing regatta and knew that I "needed" one of my own.
    I love the idea of taking photos of kids playing. We sometimes take "the game" too seriously and the kids forget that they are supposed to be having fun. Isabel's rugby team had a Facebook page and we always uploaded selected pics. The opposition players were invited to tag themselves....it was great for team morale! Most of the kids had never seen themselves playing, or the awesome faces that they made while playing!
    Some very proud moments captured too! I have to say that it was one of the best things that I did for Isabel's team.
    Enjoy, Brenda!
    Susan

You are right, Susan. Some of the facial expressions captured are priceless!!! They can get so intense!!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

I've rented that lens several times!! It is rather amazing....and pricy! I'm not a pro so I can't justify the purchase. I believe there's a 70-200 f/4.0 as well that will be less expensive. Me personally, I would make sure whatever you get has IS. It isn't a small and light lens.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

No kidding Kim!! After shooting 4 games in a row, then putting my personal lens back on, my camera feels like it floats!! I can't imagine shooting without IS!
    I have already started saving!! AND making lists of pros/cons for the lenses that have been suggested.
    I really don't "need" the zoom for basketball - but would like it for football. The f/2.8 seems more important since I'm inside a gym for basketball and all our football games are under lights. I am so excited to play around with this lens and see if I can find a good match for me!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

8. I found the zoom helpful when I couldn't be on the same side of the field as the play. I agree about the speed, rugby games are rarely cancelled for poor weather and the f/2.8 helped tremendously.
    A tip, if the players no longer fit inside the frame, take a step back and take the camera away from your face.....you are about to get hit.....
    Susan

It's totally awesome! Saved my daughter's high school season (for my scrappbooks! ha!) because I could shoot fast-paced soccer AT NIGHT! WooHoo! You will LOVE it! And, for what it's worth... I bought mine used at Adorama (adorama.com) and got a swinging deal! I saved about 30% or so, if I recall.

And, P.S... because I shot ALL of my daughter's teammates in high school AND club (and college!), I have two things to share since you'll be shooting the whole team:

1. Remember to concentrate on your kid, too... I did find sometimes that I was so focused on making sure that I got all of the other kids, that I'd have fewer pics of my kid. And, even though you're borrowing the lens, you ARE taking the shots so you SHOULD be able to have a few more pics of your kid!

2. You will get addicted to shooting sports and have trouble watching games NOT thru the lens of that awesome lens!

ETA: And, because of said weight of the lens (and the fact that it'll move some even with IS), I use a MONOPOD... easy-peasy! And, I bought the "cheap" $25-$30 monopod NOT the $75-$100 one the camera guy recommended... and the "cheap" one works just fine! Just sayin'... LOL
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by home in ottawa View Post
    A tip, if the players no longer fit inside the frame, take a step back and take the camera away from your face.....you are about to get hit.....
    Hmmm, and you know this from.... experience? Hopefully not!
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

11. ...Julie, came pretty darn close a couple of times...LOL!
    Susan

Hahahaa - Susan - that is a risk with sports photography!!

Thanks for the advice Debi, I have wondered about buying used?!?? It would be much more in my price range for sure, but I do worry about problems with a used lens?? Do you think that is a concern? And what kinds of things should you watch out for?
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

There is a risk with anything second hand. I have bought second hand on ebay without any trouble. Here are things I look for - if the lens has been in a tropical area there's a chance of mold so ask about that. Make sure the seller provides a photo of the glass and claims that it is unscratched. Find out why they want to get rid of it - it's surprising how many buy gear in a fit of enthusiasm and change their minds! Often they're upgrading. I always look at their feedback status and check what other sorts of things they sell. A friend of mine got an absolute steal on a huge lens worth $1,000s. He googled the name of the seller and lens and found a discussion on a forum where the seller was complaining that the lens backfocuses. My friend has a camera with microadjust settings which will compensate for that so it was no problem.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Thanks for the tips Ester! I will definitely do my homework before purchasing anything!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

15. Brenda, many camera stores sell their rentals when they upgrade too! Scope out your local store and there is no harm in asking if they plan to sell anything soon. They often know of someone who might be looking to sell something that they have recently upgraded.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by blhdvm View Post
    ...Thanks for the advice Debi, I have wondered about buying used?!?? It would be much more in my price range for sure, but I do worry about problems with a used lens?? Do you think that is a concern? And what kinds of things should you watch out for?
    Both Adorama and BorrowLenses.com have "ratings" on each used item so you know exactly what is wrong and right w/the camera, lens, flash or whatever you're buying. That was very helpful and, in the case of the 70-200 I bought, it was rated exactly how the lens was (from Adorama).

Adorama sells equipment traded in from buyers at their store and BorrowLenses sells equipment that has been part of their rental operation. I've never bought from them (though I'm tempted 'cuz the 24-70/2.8 new is out of my price range!) but I *have* rented from them and every used rental lens has been great! For what it's worth...
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Caught this rather late,but it is one of those lens that becomes a "must have". I agree with the other poster,get a monopod or just use your tri, My grandkids were all in the band and I got stellar shots from the opposite side of the field when they were in full march or dance. Also on parents night they always entered the field on the visitor side,but with that lens,no worry, you will get a good shot!! Have fun.