Thread: Home coming queen

Home coming queen

Please will you explain to me how this works? We certainly don't have it here is South Africa and through the years I have seen in movies etc - and people talk - she was the homecoming queen etc. Now I know I could google it but I want to hear what it is REALLY about.

(U know, just a random question .....)
    my blog
    my gallery

Tools of the trade :
    Nikon chick D700 D200 D70
    lenses : 70-200;18-70 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 18-200 Flashing chick SB800
    macbookpro chick
    The chick needs - Nikon 24-70 2.8 ed & nikon 70-200 !

I have no idea either Sam, it's not a custom/tradition/celebration (whatever it is!!) that we have in the UK either........so I'm intrigued also!!!
    Carolynn

My camera: Canon EOS 1000D
    My lenses: f/1.8 50mm, 18-55mm
    My software: Lightroom 4, PSE 9

Or down under . . .
    Sharon

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I think I heard it once in a song...?!!
    No idea!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Didn't they have a Home Coming Queen in Happy Days ???

Everything I know about America I learnt from Happy Days or the Brady Bunch !
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

6. Not a Canadian thing either, but now I have "Day Dream Believer" by the Monkees (and Ann Murray) running through my head....
    Susan

I have never gotten that one either LOL. It has something to do with football
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

8. Homecoming is a big celebration weekend during high school football season (though other sports sometimes have a lesser homecoming). Its an event where the alumni "come home" to see a big game...you usually play against an 'easy' school so you win, and everything is decked out with special decorations, signs, etc. Usually the whole week is a celebratory week at school.
    Soooo....during the week, the whole school votes on their queen, which is a senior girl. They also vote on a king, but I think he's just there to make the queen look good In the end, Homecoming Queen is one of the popular girls at the school. Usually the four senior girls who are on the ballot dress up in fancy dresses for the game and at half-time, the winner is crowned in some over-the-top fun way. Our school had a homecoming parade at halftime (around the track) and we princesses were driven in on special cars. It's a pretty big deal, as the title sticks with you forever.
    That's probably more answer than you want
    heather

Heather's answer pretty much nailed it! However, at my high school it was a bit different, most likely because it was a smaller school. The homecoming week was when the football team came back home to play after their first "away" games of the season. Everything else is dead on accurate. It was a huge deal, second only to "prom queen".

She pretty much boiled it down! However in our neck of the woods, You never play an "easy" team, it's our "Rivalry" week as well. Some regions of the US are FARRRRR more into High School Football than others.
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

11. It was Rivalry week in our home town way back when.... in our neighborhood the queen is crowned before the parade which occurs the night before the game... and their is a huge bon fire.... in the town I live in now the parade goes past our house (in the back yard) and Mamaw and I watch the parade go buy... it makes her very happy.... almost all the kids in town are in the parade....... the queens and their princesses travel the parade in convertibles!!!... one girl one guy in each....!!!
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

12. What Heather, Jessica, Bailey and Debbie said!

A over the top exciting when you are in high school . . . one of the highlights of the year. Loved the parades too, Debbie . . . and being from a college town we were blessed with two homecoming parades each autumn. I am going to grab my high school year books and reminisce for an hour or so and smile!!!
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite9711 View Post
    She pretty much boiled it down! However in our neck of the woods, You never play an "easy" team, it's our "Rivalry" week as well. Some regions of the US are FARRRRR more into High School Football than others.
    Same here in SoCal... it's never an easy game! But, it IS always the most crowded game... that stands are full 'cuz lots of people return "home" for it! At my high school, the "old" cheerleaders all return home, too, and cheer at the game... that was always SO fun! "Old" queens come back and help present the crown to the new queen... it's all just a fun and celebratory night! And, hopefully, finished off with a big win on the football field!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

My high school played the biggest rival team from the next county for homecoming game!
    We had the parade and a bonfire the night before, then the crowning and the game, and then the dance on the third night!
    Lots of fun for a Swedish exchange student who'd only seen it on TV and in the movies before!
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

15. I think you have been given great details here Sam!! Homecoming was such a huge deal in high school!! At our school each class had to make a float to enter into the parade....it was a BIG deal and most classes began their preparations a year in advance!! I do believe that my class was the only class in the history of the school that never won a float competition!!!
    Kathie

my gallery

Camera: Nikon D90, Nikon D50
    Lenses: Nikkor: 50 mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Micro 60mm 2.8G ED, 18-200mm VR, SB-800
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS2
    Computer Platform: It may be a PC, but at least it's fast