Thread: Updated to Apple Mountain Lion

Updated to Apple Mountain Lion

I updated to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. There have been a few glitches and changes, most of them I've been able to deal with.
    But, I used to use the rss reader within the mail app., and Mountain Lion has now removed the rss reader. I figured out how to get my rss feeds back [you know, the blog/website address], but I also had a lot of saved articles that I'd never deleted because I'd want to go back to them. I know where they are on the hd but I can't open them/export them/whatever into a new rss reader!
    [eg. a designer shares a scrapbooking technique on their blog - I wouldn't delete it from the rss reader so I could go back to it at a later date - sort of like a bookmark I guess].

Clear as mud!!!???

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or more importantly how to do it?
    I've googled and trawled through the apple support forums, but can't find an answer.
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

2. I'm no help,Donna . . . I still have Snow Leopard and have been scared to move up to the new one. Hope you can get help here.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

While I never used the RSS feed, I understand what you are saying. re the articles you saved - what format are they in? i.e. what is the final extension? That will give me an idea of what you might be able to do.

What I've often done to save a blog article is to do screen shots of the page(s). e.g One of Katie's tutorials is about 4 page when saved that way. Sometimes, like this kind of thing, I wanted a printed version to have on hand while I'm on the computer. The other way I use is to save the article to Evernote or Pin it. This, however, makes me dependent on a wifi connection when I want to reference the article, and that's not always possible.

I know this isn't answering how to import your saved articles into...???...but it may help you in future saves.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

no help for this issue but... I also updated to ML but my reader is still in google... however... I save almost everything to revisit in Evernote... there was a thread here last week?? Evernote is a fantastic tool so you might want to check out this app for desktop and mobile for future use... btw... I'm not totally sold on the cloud for saving but I continue to study and learn so I can use it effectively...

Quote Originally Posted by maureenreynolds View Post
    re the articles you saved - what format are they in? i.e. what is the final extension? That will give me an idea of what you might be able to do.
    Hi Maureen, it's in .mbox format which I guess is a mail format. I can double click on them and they show up as emails which can be forwarded, but I have ... ahem ... quite a few, so that's not practical. I was hoping I could have imported them or something.

This is the first apple os upgrade I have ever done so I was a bit scared! It was an app download so it was incredibly easy in that sense. But it did take a while to put a few preferences straight and find work arounds for other things. I didn't want to get too far behind staying with Snow Leopard.

It's just SO annoying when they take things away (and this one wasn't noted as a change beforehand apparently). Take it away, but they should at least give you a way of saving or importing to a new program/app.

Between this and all those app updates that constantly need updating they're starting to remind me of that other computer type I changed from ....
    Donna

My Gallery

PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

I agree, I never want to be two OSs behind. However, the downside is that even Apple changes things that seem to be working Just Fine. That's just computer life I'm afraid.

The only thing I found that seems relevant by googling is right clicking on each .mbox file and opening it in the text editor. If that works, you may just have to do each one as you want to look at it. I also think this is one for a call to Apple since I really don't know enough about RSS feeds to really be helpful. Maybe Anx will chime in here or pm her asking her to ck this posting. Good luck here!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

7. I am just about to upgrade, also from Snow Leopard. What about bookmarks? Did you lose those? I'm wondering if I need to make a list of the URLs before I upgrade.

You said there were a few glitches. Would you mind expanding on that? Maybe if I know what happened in your upgrade I can be better prepared for mine. Thanks so much for any advice. I too have never upgraded the Mac OS so I am nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by lizj View Post
    I am just about to upgrade, also from Snow Leopard. What about bookmarks? Did you lose those? I'm wondering if I need to make a list of the URLs before I upgrade.

You said there were a few glitches. Would you mind expanding on that? Maybe if I know what happened in your upgrade I can be better prepared for mine. Thanks so much for any advice. I too have never upgraded the Mac OS so I am nervous.
    Hi Liz
    Firstly, the upgrade itself (I upgraded through the app store) was easy. It downloads, does its thing, then it's working again.

A lot of the issues I had were just rearranging the 'look' of things - for instance I didn't like the new default layout of mail, so it took a while to change it back to how it used to look (which was do-able but time consuming - couldn't it just remember my defaults?).

Some fonts, for instance no longer display in Font Book. Although they still work in PSE, Word, and Font Picker (I changed to this because of the Font Book issue).

I didn't lose my bookmarks, but they were in Firefox. Not sure what would happen if they were in Safari because I know they changed a few things there.

They've hidden the 'library' folder (in your home folder), but I found both a temporary and permanent way around that if you need it. (I've needed to go in there for PSE and LR Presets, etc).

I had an issue with mail and other apple processes 'hanging' - ie - the screen just stopped, or when I tried to open them they just bounced up and down in the dock. When I tried to either 'force quit' the program or 'restart' the computer that just hung too. So I had to switch the computer off by pressing the on/off button! After much searching I found a suggestion of making sure icloud was set up, which I did, and that seems to have solved all of that. Apparently icloud replaced something in Lion that needed doing, but since I skipped Lion I had missed that step.

My time wasn't updating on the menu bar at the top and constantly had the spinning beach ball if you moved the mouse over that area. I haven't figured that one out permanently yet, but by going to 'activity monitor' I found that 'SystemUIServer was using like 93%. I 'quit process' and that clears it for a while. Every few days I go back in and do the same thing.

Time Machine just slowed down and used up so much resources that I've had to disable it for now.

My biggest peeve is that whenever I copy a file/folder/jpeg/anything to a folder, all of my folders/files get REARRANGED!! It doesn't matter what defaults you set regarding how to display the items, ie arrange by, sort by, they keep getting REARRANGED. I've lost it with this one. No idea. No advice.

I keep looking everything up on the apple support communities. So many people are having so many of the same issues. For some there are fixes, for others everyone is just frustrated.

I can't say that all of these issues are definitely Mountain Lion problems. But I can say that I only got these problems after upgrading to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard.

I am currently putting all of my files from my mac (photos, scrapbooking, etc) onto an EHD permanently, and getting my backups sorted (despite the TM problem) so I can do a clean install of Mountain Lion. I don't know if that will make any difference but it really needed doing anyway after 3 years of accumulating! I'm just a bit scared to wipe everything and start again!

Hope some of that helps (or sends you running, sorry!). And sorry to anyone else who has read all this and wondered why they bothered or what I'm on about . I guess I'm more peeved?!##$!! about this than I realised .
    Donna

My Gallery

PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

9. Wow! Donna, thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a thorough answer. I will really have to think long and hard about upgrading now, those sound like some fairly annoying issues. Thanks again, I really appreciate the input.

10. I'm still on Snow Leopard and probably will be sticking to it as it works and I'm happy with it. I read the reviews of Mountain Lion in the App store and it was scary to see how many bad reviews there were. Hence, that stopped me from upgrading. I guess with any new OS, there will be teething problems so it's best to wait until they sorted out the glitches.

What great info... I also upgraded from SL to ML on my mac pro (3 yrs. old) and really haven't had any problems to speak of... knock on wood... I'm not crazy about icloud but that is my issue not apples... I would have been perfectly happy leaving SL on my machine and not upgrading... didn't find it necessary for me but I'm not touching anything now...