Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy???

Hurricane Sandy???

Hearing reports here in Australia of one very nasty hurricane heading towards the north-east coast of the States. Is that correct?

If so, I just wanted to send all my thoughts and prayers out to those who may be in its path. Hoping that no-one will be badly affected.

Please check in and let us all know how you are doing....
    Jenelle

My Gallery

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

2. I am watching the progress of this storm, too, Jenelle, and hoping it passes without loss of life or property for our friends on the East coast of the USA. Also, I hope there aren't power outages that affect you all.

Please check in when you can, folks.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

they are already warning parents about possible black outs and school days off around here. I have a feeling we will get a little wind and some rain and that will be it for us, but we are a little more inland. The coastal areas will get hit more I am afraid!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Yes, nasty storm headed our way as we are up at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. School has already been cancelled for tomorrow and they are telling us to prepare for up to 7 days without power. really hoping it's not that bad but the worst will be hitting us tomorrow afternoon. We have a house generator for power but that doesn't mean we will have internet--wish we could get a generator for that. Hoping it doesn't mess us up too badly! I have lots of family in New York and on Long Island. I know one of my Uncles and Aunt are being evacuated because they live right on a canal. Hoping there's not too much damage from this storm. Thanks for keeping us all in your thoughts and prayers! Stay safe everyone!
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

Oh dear lord, I've been watching the news every hour to see whats happening.. praying all our US friends in the storms path, stay safe and don't suffer any major damage...

software: PSE10 / iMAC
    Camera: Nikon D90 Digital SLR. 35mm 18-105mm

Hope everyone along the coast stays safe and as dry as possible. Keep us posted on your status.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

It's the calm before the storm. I'm about 1/2 a mile from the Hudson River but elevated so the wind will be the scary part of this storm. Last year with Hurricane Irene, since I'm right in the village, we lost power for only a very short period of time and I'm hoping it's the same way again. Although like Katie mentioned, we're being prepared for possible long periods of power outages. My husband runs a private dining club in midtown Manhattan which is about 20 miles from here. Fortunately since subways and buses have been shut down, he closed his club and will be staying close to home. I, too, have family out in Long Island on the south shore but they aren't in any areas requiring evacuation. Katie, I hope your family out in Long Island are safe. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers and I, too, wish the best for everyone's safety. Bring it on, Sandy! Let's get this over with!
    Sylvia

Oh dear - stay safe everyone. I was hoping the news reports had it wrong....
    Jenelle

My Gallery

9. Stay safe everyone! It sounds like quite the storm. I will be anxious to hear how you all are doing!
    LeAnne

Stay safe. Praying for all of you on the coast.
    Terry

Terry's Tales

Gear: Nikon D60
    Software: CS4
    Platform: Mac

Heed the warnings everyone, and stay safe.
    ~Kelly

Stay safe everyone! I'm hoping we don't get everything they are calling for here. The cold front and hurricane is suppose to hit my area at the same time, so we get to add a blizzard to our mix.
    Nikon D700
    Lens Nikon 24-70 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8 macro, Flash SB600
    Dell PC, PSE5 and Wacom Bamboo fun

That sounds so scary!! I am glad we live on the prairies when I hear that kind of forecast! My prayers are with those in its path!
    Jeannie
    My gear:
    Canon 7D , Canon Rebel XSi. Lens: Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Canon 50mm 1.8 /Macro 90mm 2.8 / Canon 55-250mm 4.5 / PSE 8/ Lightroom 3

Stay safe everyone! Thinking of you all! xx
    Trace

Stay safe...thinking of all of you! Please keep us posted if you can!

I hope y'all are ready and stay safe and sound! Please keep us updated, too!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

17. stay safe, friends! i'll be praying and anxious to hear your updates!
    heather

It sounds just so incredibly scary, so please stay safe everyone, check in when you can.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I'll be thinking of you all over the next 24 hours and will look forward to seeing you 'check in' (power cut dependent I know!!) so I know you're all safe!! Praying that Sandy passes through quickly leaving minimal damage in it's wake.
    Carolynn

My camera: Canon EOS 1000D
    My lenses: f/1.8 50mm, 18-55mm
    My software: Lightroom 4, PSE 9

Everyone please stay safe. Those of you in the path of this storm will be in my thoughts.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Rain all night here in Annapolis with mild winds. I have always longed for a waterfront house and am always grateful in hurricanes that I don't have one! We have only lost power once in 20+ yrs and that was in the Snowmagedon blizzard - and that was just for a half day. I have always been told that we are on the same grid as the police station and I do believe that. Our house is also high enough that the land never floods. The old cellar? well that can get water but there's not much to do about that when the ground is over saturated.

We have food, books, candles, toilet paper and charged iEverything, plus I'm finishing up the laundry this am. We also have a gas cooktop, Jotul, and fireplace. I think we are as set as can be.

While we have a small generator it's mainly for at least one a/c in the summer. I would not be fit to live with otherwise.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

22. Take care all!
    Susan

I'm watching this very carefully. I have a brother in NYC and another brother and my mother-in-law live by the Jersey shore. They have been told to expect power to be out for over a week. UGH. Stay safe everyone!!! Thinking of you, Katie!!
    Steph
    My blog - steph's stuff
    My DD gallery - gallery
    Let's be friends on Facebook

Camera: Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 17-50mm f/2.8
    Software: Photoshop Elements 10.0

24. Stay safe everyone in Sandy's path...you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Kathie

my gallery

Camera: Nikon D90, Nikon D50
    Lenses: Nikkor: 50 mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Micro 60mm 2.8G ED, 18-200mm VR, SB-800
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS2
    Computer Platform: It may be a PC, but at least it's fast

Quote Originally Posted by maureenreynolds View Post
    Rain all night here in Annapolis with mild winds. I have always longed for a waterfront house and am always grateful in hurricanes that I don't have one! We have only lost power once in 20+ yrs and that was in the Snowmagedon blizzard - and that was just for a half day. I have always been told that we are on the same grid as the police station and I do believe that.
    Was it Hurricane Irene the storm that flooded the City Docks? My parents have lost power many times---for multiple days at a time (in Severna Park). They must NOT be on the police station grid. I would believe it considering you only lost power once.

My dad is waiting to hear if his surgery is rescheduled (he had a small stroke three weeks ago and is having his carotid cleaned out tomorrow). They have supplies laid in and their generator is ready to go. I wish they had come down this way but my dad is not really fit to travel right now. We are getting rain and high winds 100 miles inland, and nothing has really started to happen yet. Heavy snow forecast in the mountains just west of us.

I have a friend who just moved from Brooklyn and she is most concerned about where all the water will go on Long Island.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Keeping all of you on the east coast in my thoughts and prayers. I simply can't imagine all that you might be going through. I guess if I had a choice, I would take the -40 degrees below zero that we can get in the winter over Hurricane Sandy. Stay safe, warm and dry.
    Pam

My Stuff: Nikon D80, Nikkor 50 mm 1.4, Nikkor 18 - 135mm, Nikkor 80 - 200mm, Speedlight SB-600 and my Epiphanie Lola Camera Bag!
    Software: Dell Studio XPS, PSE 11 and Bamboo Fun

Yes Sarah, it was Irene that flooded the City Dock area and a lot of low lying homes all around the bay area. We saw it on TV while out in Seattle! We are about a mile and a half from the dock and on higher ground so that kind of flood doesn't affect us. Homes a few blocks away from us also lose power but our street doesn't.

Dick says Western MD and WVA can expect 20" of wet snow. That's nasty, tree and power line damaging stuff.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Quote Originally Posted by maureenreynolds View Post
    Yes Sarah, it was Irene that flooded the City Dock area and a lot of low lying homes all around the bay area. We saw it on TV while out in Seattle! We are about a mile and a half from the dock and on higher ground so that kind of flood doesn't affect us. Homes a few blocks away from us also lose power but our street doesn't.

Dick says Western MD and WVA can expect 20" of wet snow. That's nasty, tree and power line damaging stuff.
    NC is supposed to get about 1-2 feet as well---far west of us, though. Things were ugly here this morning but have calmed down. Raleigh is under a high wind advisory. Since we've lived here we have had two or three major storms and seen major tree damage---and nothing like what this will probably bring.

I hope you stay dry, warm, and "powered!"
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

This is shaping up to be a scary and widely impacting storm indeed! We'll all be waiting, watching and praying!

I'm about 40 miles west of DC. Rain and wind beginning to pick up. They are saying the more major part for us to be later today and into tomorrow. We are ready - as much as possible. Lots of water, batteries, candles, tub of water, and chili on the stove Our schools are closed today and tomorrow. My work offices were closed today. I had planned had scheduled a vacation day for today since we were gone all weekend. So my weather day counts as a vacation day- bummer!! If the storm is as expected I wouldn't be surprised if out offices are closed tomorrow also.

Keep safe and dry everyone over here!!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast