Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All things RAW

All things RAW

I thought that since our noiseware thread was getting long I'd start a new thread about shooting in RAW. I know some people have questions about it or aren't totally comfortable with it yet so post your questions or workflow or whatever here. Or if you're a pro at shooting in RAW post your suggestions here!
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography
    Camera: Nikon D800
    Lenses: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-35 f/2.8, 28-300, 24-70mm f/2.8
    Extras: Speedlight SB-700, Alien Bee 800
    Software: Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4

I was thinking carrots, you ?

3. Oh, and I better post something, too, Sam. If this thread weren't 7 pages long, things would seem out of sorts in the world.
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

4. Heidi,

Just got back from PhotoShop World in Boston and have to dig through my notes on the HOT tips for RAW workflow and narrow them down. There were some great ones....as Arnold would say "I'll be back....."

I can't wait to hear their tips on using the RAW format. I use RAW format a lot and it's saved me from poor exposure readings many times. The files are huge and contain a lot more detailed information about the image than just shooting jpeg format.

6. Quote Originally Posted by lynnestacey View Post
    I can't wait to hear their tips on using the RAW format. I use RAW format a lot and it's saved me from poor exposure readings many times. The files are huge and contain a lot more detailed information about the image than just shooting jpeg format.

Hey Lynne! So glad to "see" you here!

I shoot in RAW but really have no idea how to use the full potential w/ the file.
    ~Maureen
    My Gallery
    My Blog
    My Writing
    My tools:
    PSE 6.0
    Rebel T3i, 50mm 1.4, 80-200mm

I can't wait to read your notes Joanne! I'm still fairly new to RAW but I do know I love it. I am looking forward to all the hot tips you have for us!
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

well I shot raw on the weekend and I am truly in love ---other than my card and hdd moaning I love it !!!!!

9. If it weren't for the fact that shooting in RAW takes up SOOOOOOOOOO much space on my computer, I would shoot in RAW all the time. I love being able to save pictures that I would otherwise delete. I do a lot of sports photography and RAW has been my best friend in horrible lit gyms. I can't wait to see what input others have on RAW!

10. try to convince me to switch to RAW
    the one big thing that's holding me back is that my memory card is a bit small.
    -- Caroline

blog
    gallery

Nikon D50, Nikkor 50mm f1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6
    Photoshop CS3

11. Hey Caroline, I bought a 2 GB at WalMart for around $65 or so - they've come down a lot so you ought to shop around! The 2 GB will hold close to 200 RAW photos. I'll sell you on it yet!
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

12. My issue isn't the memory, it's the effort to go through all of them and fix them and then save them as jpgs. Laziness, basically.
    Cassie

13. The great thing about Bridge is that you can batch everything. I select all the photos with similar exposures that were taken at the same time and adjust one - everything that is selected gets corrected at once and the auto settings are sometimes all you need - so you hit the auto button. When I'm done I select all and save as .jpg's. It does it all for you!! Another way to do it would be do scan through them and label the ones you want to edit with a color (right click on the photo in Bridge and you can label it). Then you can open the labeled photos and edit just those and save all as .jpg or .tiff. It's so easy, really! I'm not going to let anyone off the hook am I?
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

well Heidi no -- you mustnt let people off the hook cos I thought it was going to be so much hard work, but once you had told me how easy it was I have done it and I LOVED it .

It wll definately make my job a lot easier - and the time it takes is crazy quick. It is DEFINATELY worth me spending money on another card !

15. Quote Originally Posted by 1gr8muggle View Post
    My issue isn't the memory, it's the effort to go through all of them and fix them and then save them as jpgs. Laziness, basically.
    well it already takes me forever to edit jpegs so i guess this wouldn't be my issue. hehe.
    -- Caroline

blog
    gallery

Photoshop CS3

HEIDI - just another quick question.

when you open bridge and say have 100 photo's open - is this your workflow ?

Click - shift -double say 50 and click -click to open one ( and a new screen opens in ps) then auto exposure then sve.

do you save in jpeg now ? or do you save the raw file ? and then click and open and save as jpegs ?

OOOH i love learning new things - espcially when I have people like you in the wings !

17. I do it different ways. Sometimes I'll save as .jpeg but sometimes I'll only save the ones I plan to use.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

Great thread girls! I am NEW to RAW...new to photography all together...I have "heard" that PS CS3 lets you change .jpegs to RAW....anyone know anything about this?? Do you think it is the same as shooting in RAW?? That feature alone would sell me on the purchase of CS3...
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

I dont know with any authority at all but RAW is an uncompressed - unprocessed file and you can get the JPEG version from the Raw version but I doubt the other way round !

20. hmmm . . . that's new to me, Bailey. No expert here, but RAW images are by definition uncompressed, so I'm not sure how that would be possible.
    Cassie

Thats what I was thinking, but this info was given to me by a PS pro himself...Im off to research...Ill beback t let you know what I find!!!
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Ok I found this article by Scott Kelby, http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs3/sk_features.html Look at feature #2...I think what the deal is, you can edit .jpeg and .tiff in the Camera RAW dialog (probably giving more options and flexibility with them) but I am not sure that you can "change" them to raw per se. Even so, WAY cool feature. With these top ten features, IM SOLD!!
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

i think i'm finally starting to get it heidi. loving that auto button. it saves photos that i would have had to scrap because of exposure. very cool.

I did 2 shoots on Sunday and the weather was grim so lighting not too good and raw handled it amazingly -- and in double quick time . Thanks Heidi for being the raw "pusher" lol

Has anyone worked with Adobe Lightroom yet? I was playing around with it a little bit last night. It seems pretty cool.

Does anyone know any tricks with this new software other than the presets it comes with?
    Is this similar to this Noiseware you keep talking about?

26. I don't know anything about lightroom, except that I think it's a more sophisticated way to work with your RAW images. Noiseware is just a plug-in for Photoshop that corrects the "noise" or grain you get in low light conditions. Just google "noiseware + photoshop" and it will come up. You can see examples of how it works
    Cassie

27. I had the Beta version of Lightroom and only played with it once. The stuff you can do with the histogram was cool but I never took the time to play. But, I am sorely tempted to upgrade to CS3 this year - it looks amazing! Anyone who has it needs to tell me how much they love it - or that it isn't worth the money and to wait for CS4. My husband will thank you for the latter, I'm sure.

Sam, I am so excited that you are loving RAW! I'm just waiting for that post from Cassie telling me how right I was, yada yada .
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

Okay Ladies, I just ordered Lightroom (last day before the price goes up), and a Scott Kelby book to go with it. I downloaded the trial version and I think it will be a great tool for my workflow. I almost always shot RAW and love it, so much you can do with it. Like get the detail in the shadows etc. etc. Here's to less time fiddling with images and more time taking pictures!

29. hey, guess what?
    i shot in RAW yesterday.

i figured...i spend WAY too much time editing out white balance in my indoor shots...and so i might as well shoot RAW then.
    -- Caroline

blog
    gallery

Photoshop CS3

I succumbed to the RAW draw yesterday with a friend's maternity shoot! I now have 300 pictures that I'm trying to process and realize I have no idea how to do it quickly...I've processed fewer one by one before but this is overwhelming! I'm using PSE.4. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast