Thread: why is it...

Unhappy why is it...

that our high school guidance office has to act like you're asking them to dice a dozen onions when you request transcripts to be sent for college applications?

Isn't that their job? Don't they want their students to get into college?

What am I missing here?

Seriously I am having such a heck of a time. And then they say they sent them and a month later the college says they don't have them so I ask for a new copy so I can fed ex it. They tell me they've called the school and they do have it. So a week later her application still shows that they still don't have her transcripts and I call and they say no they don't have them and to resend. I call the school and I might as well have asked them to replicate the Mona Lisa. seriously. ugh.

And don't most kids apply to multiple schools? The thought of going thru this a few more times puts my stomach in knots.
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

That sounds so frustrating Katie! I guess when my kids applied for university I can be thankful things went smoothly.... I hope you can get that figured out soon.
    Jeannie
    My gear:
    Canon 7D , Canon Rebel XSi. Lens: Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Canon 50mm 1.8 /Macro 90mm 2.8 / Canon 55-250mm 4.5 / PSE 8/ Lightroom 3

Maybe the principal needs to know what kind of response you're getting from the office staff? They probably aren't even at their peak for transcript requests yet, so if it's this bad now.....

That's ridiculous!! I think I'd go up the chain of command.
    Jodi
    LOVES it here!

Camera: Canon 60d
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Beck View Post
    Maybe the principal needs to know what kind of response you're getting from the office staff? They probably aren't even at their peak for transcript requests yet, so if it's this bad now.....
    I agree with Nancy, Katie. So sorry they aren't cooperating.
    ~Kelly

Thinking back...I seem to remember that Matt and Justin had a counselor assigned to them all throughout their senior year that coordinated anything that had to do with applying to college. Does Kelly's school have anything like that? Or does she have a school counselor that has helped her with the college prep process? If so, that person might be able to cut through some of the issues with the office staff. I never found the front desk to be helpful at my boy's high school...I always elevated things.
    Joanne

My Gallery

Camera: Canon 6D
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm
    Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
    PSE 12 on a PC

7. That really would rot my socks, Katie. I agree that you probably should go to the principal with your request. May he.she can break through the barrier for you.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

I would absolutely go over their heads. That is unacceptable on every level!
    Steph
    My blog - steph's stuff
    My DD gallery - gallery
    Let's be friends on Facebook

Camera: Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 17-50mm f/2.8
    Software: Photoshop Elements 10.0

9. You are right, Katie, it's their job and they're not being very efficient! I would be frustrated, too.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

10. Really?! That just seems absurd. Hope it gets straightened out soon.

That definitely should not be a problem for the guidance office; they do it all the time. Granted, this is probably the busy season, and one might get overlooked. But when you tell them they need to resend, they should do it. It's all done electronically anyway -- sheesh!
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

How very frustrating. I hope that things get worked out soon and that Kelly will be accepted into her first choice!! Such an exciting time for her, and yet stressful for you.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Oh good grief, something else to look forward to!! That just sounds absurd. Make sure the college knows that it's not your end, that's it's the HS being irresponsible!!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

My grandson is at this stage and I do hope this doesn't happen in his school. Yikes. It isn't as if a college application is frickin' free either.

I totally agree with everyone. Principal and/or your PTA Pres or whatever parents' org the school has. I seriously doubt that Kelly is being singled out here (not that you suggested it) so what other students are having problems? If you have a few other parents with the same outgoing issue, someone needs a review of his/her job description and perhaps a walk to the door.

OTOH, if it's only one school that is having this issue, the problem could be at the receiving end. That may also be a heads up re the school. And yes, students do apply to multiple schools these days, esp to compare financial aid packages. At least my grandson and all his friends do.

"I feel your pain" and it's Just Not Right.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

I'm with you Katie--I would be totally frustrated. Thank goodness we didn't have that problem when my kids were applying to college. Hope it gets worked out soon.
    Terry

Terry's Tales

Gear: Nikon D60
    Software: CS4
    Platform: Mac

16. Quote Originally Posted by jcaruth910 View Post
    Thinking back...I seem to remember that Matt and Justin had a counselor assigned to them all throughout their senior year that coordinated anything that had to do with applying to college. Does Kelly's school have anything like that? Or does she have a school counselor that has helped her with the college prep process? If so, that person might be able to cut through some of the issues with the office staff. I never found the front desk to be helpful at my boy's high school...I always elevated things.
    My kids school had the same, there were counselors assigned to each student. The counselors had a "senior counselor" who reported to the principal. This is not the way it should work. I believe they had a week to get them out from the student's request and they had to record the date when they were sent and to whom. Hope you can get them on the right track; if you are having this problem, I can only assume others are too - not good! Good luck.
    Francine

My Gallery

Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5
    Gear: Nikon D50 w/28-80 mm, 70-300 Tamron lenses
    Lightroom 3

Sorry it's been so frustrating Katie! It certainly seems like it should be a pretty standard and easy request to handle.......

Here I thought it was only GC that had bad counselors, must be a state wide problem.
    Nikon D700
    Lens Nikon 24-70 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8 macro, Flash SB600
    Dell PC, PSE5 and Wacom Bamboo fun

Thanks for all the support ladies. I did go up the chain of command to the principal and had a call with the vice principal. They seemed surprised and did not think there was any issue. ugh. I did get a fresh copy and fed ex'd it to the college. We have no 'senior' counselors and no specific college counselor. It's really disappointing and pathetic and I am not sure if it's a county issue or statewide. I remember my sister [who lives out west in the same state] saying she did all the counseling/advising with her older kids.

I really think high schools should have workshops with juniors and seniors about applying to schools, ways to get noticed, how to write professional, business format letters and the application process. With how competitive the application process is and how it would make their schools look better with more kids getting into better 4-year institutions.

Happy thoughts!
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

Our high school kids have a guidance counselor assigned to them when they start high school. Unless the counselor leaves the job for some reason, the same one follows the students all through their years at the high school, helping plan their program, giving advice about SAT and ACT testing, etc. They're focused on the college prep/application process all along...and during the last half of the junior year and fall of the senior year, it really ramps up. They're very good about communicating with the students directly, keeping the parents in the loop, too, but giving the students primary responsibility. They're also really clear about what to expect in getting letters of recommendation and transcripts from the school--a very organized process with clear steps.
    I guess I didn't have nearly enough appreciation for this blessing! I just assumed that it worked this way everywhere! I'm sorry it's such a hassle for your family. This time is so busy with so much potential stress....one would sure hope the 'easy' stuff could truly be easy.
    I hope things move forward smoothly from here!
    Connie