Thread: Scared out of my mind

Hybrid View

Scared out of my mind

My step-mom called yesterday and asked me to take their photos. I'm not a pro and don't feel like I'm very good. I would love to be a pro, but I don't feel like I have the personality for it. Setting up the shot with placing people seems very intimidating to me. To make it harder, my dad was in the military, so he doesn't smile in photos. EEK!

For the pros and amazing photographers out there, what do you suggest? I have three lenses (found in my siggie). I also know it depends on the shot, but what aperture should I shoot at? I don't want a batch of bad photos, nor do I want to waste their time, or mine!

Also, any great posing tips for a couple in their mid-early sixties?

I'm scared out of my mind. At least I'll be able to get them to look at the camera right?!?!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I hear you Kim, I would love to have that pro title too! I've done a lot of family shots on the side just for fun but it is totally intimidating but really fun. You can get a lot of neat photos with your 50mm. I've shot some parents with their kids sitting in front, and when you use the 50mm you can chose to keep the kids in focus and blur the parents or vise versa. Kinda neat. I'm guessing you will use your 24-70 for the majority. I would just keep it on aperture priority and open it up to allow the most light in, but if you're outside I guess you will have lots of light so you can take it at a higher aperture so they are all in focus. Hope any of that helps. Hmmm, hope the professionals jump in here

Melissa

All I can offer is good luck, Kim! I need to take a "How to use your camera" class...
    LoriS

My Gallery

If it's just the two of them you have no worries Keep both on the same plane, step away a bit, keep your aperature at around 8 (light permitting) and you should be good
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

We will be outside, and we're meeting around 5pm...lots of open shade due to trees!!

Another non-pro here.... hehehe..... I would use ALL of your lenses and take shots with lots of different set ups and apertures. Seriously, you get such different looks, and they might prefer something unexpected. For the real 'portraits,' I'd put them on the same plane, use the 85 mm and shoot at f/2.8. But some wide angle stuff would be super fun, too, if you've got a bunch of trees/landscape. And some really wide open shots with the 50 with one in the background would be cool, too. You'll do GREAT! I hope we get to see some of the shots!
    Connie

Thanks for the help and advice this far!! Hopefully I can get some good shots that they will be happy with...and that I won't be embarrassed to hand over and share.

You'll do fine. At least your Dad will be standing up straight I imagine! Maybe just holler "I love you!" when you're ready to shoot. Perhaps that will get an eye twinkle if not a smile.

Only advice I can give is that we geezers like wrinkle and double chin removal!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

I think all the suggestions above are great. If you take shots at f/8 you shouldnt have trouble with blurry faces. I've made that mistake with a few important shots lately and have learned more about my aperture the hard way.
    I am sure you will do great. The few times I have done photos for others has helped me to realize I also don't have the personality for it. Give me a flower to photograph any day...! Hope to see some of your shots soon.
    Jeannie
    My gear:
    Canon 7D , Canon Rebel XSi. Lens: Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Canon 50mm 1.8 /Macro 90mm 2.8 / Canon 55-250mm 4.5 / PSE 8/ Lightroom 3

Posing people worries, here is an awesome article, with guides I think you will enjoy.
    Posing Guide: 21 Sample Poses to Get You Started with Photographing Couples
    Nikon D700
    Lens Nikon 24-70 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8 macro, Flash SB600
    Dell PC, PSE5 and Wacom Bamboo fun

Quote Originally Posted by connieg View Post
    Posing people worries, here is an awesome article, with guides I think you will enjoy.
    Posing Guide: 21 Sample Poses to Get You Started with Photographing Couples
    What a great link!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Brenda - wife, mother, animal lover!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

Kim, when are you doing the photograph, is it this weekend? Good luck if it is, but you know, you won't need luck, because you will just rock it.

Remember my trick of replacing eyes, smiles and heads. Works a treat te he Who knew I could be such a great surgeon!
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Your sweet Carol!! It's next weekend, unless we have to reschedule for my nieces b-day party!

Kim you will be amazing! I've done a few family shoots - although I'm definitely by no means a pro! I always try and focus upon the relationship between the people in my shots - remember you can have a technically perfect shot which fails to capture the emotion of the scene. Feel the love and shoot from your heart...I have no doubt your photographs will be stunning! No doubt at all! Xxx
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Wow Connie!! such a great link!! Thanks, I will be taking that with me!!

Thanks Georgina! Such sweet and kind words...hopefully I can get some good photos of my dad and step-mom!

Kim, there is a Posing App in the app store (that's the name of the app) that gives you examples for posing couples among other photographic subjects. Just thought you might want to have right there on your phone. Good luck; I know you'll do great!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Eww!! Thanks Amy! I'll have to check it out!! Hoping the weather will cooperate as well!

I don't have any advice, but I'm sure you are going to do an awesome job! Good luck!!!

19. you'll do great Kim...
    shhbabymine (sarah)
    canon rebel xti
    PSE5
    my gallery