Thread: A week of mixed emotions

A week of mixed emotions

Hi all,
    This week has been full of mixed emotions and unexpected relaxation...On Tuesday evening my 99 year old FIL passed away peacefully in hospice care.
    We decided to have a memorial service later in the year so all the grandkids could be there. On Thursday we drove from Orlando to Clearwater to check out some burial plots he had bought there years ago. We decided that instead of going back to Atlanta we would stay a few days on Clearwater Beach. My DH grew up here and yes, Myra, it is a fabulous place! Heading home tomorrow. We'll be glad to be home!
    My Gallery

My Gear: Canon 50D, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 28-300mm IF
    My Software: PSE 7, Noiseware Professional, Lightroom 1.4

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your father-in-law, Deanie, but glad you had a little time to relax before going home.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

Oh Deanie, my sincerest condolences to you and your family. What an amazing age to live to. It's still so very very sad though.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

4. Your father-in-law lived through 99 years of the most interesting times in history, didn't he? I am sure that he had wonderful stories to share about all the changes he had seen in his life span. Even at that momentous age, loss is not easy is it? We are never quiet ready to say good bye to a loved one. I am glad that you were able to stay for a few days in Clearwater . . . something about the beach is just naturally relaxing and healing, isn't it? Have a safe trip back home to Georgia, Deanie.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

How lovely to have a memorial service when everyone can attend. He would have seen a lot in his 100 years!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

oh Deanie, i am so sorry to read this. Thinking of you {hugs}

It's been quite a journey Deanie... I love Mollie's comments... so much has happened in that time... sweet blessings to you all as you reflect and celebrate his life...praying with you Deanie...

8. Sorry to hear of your FIL's passing. Glad you were able to spend some time enjoying the beach. Myra will be thrilled for you.

I am so sorry for your loss, Deanie. Huge hugs to you and your family!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Hugs to you Deanie! Sorry for your loss. Mollie's words are so true! What an interesting 99 years! Thinking of you tonight! Glad you got some down time here in the sun
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

11. A sad loss for your family, Deanie!

When my mil died about this time last year at age 96, we held her memorial service a month later when all the family could be together. It was the way she wanted it and it turned out to be a very meaningful service. We had time to reflect and plan and it was gratifying to be together as a family. I hope your family has the same experience. In the meantime, sending you a hug for this sad time.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Even though he was 99 you still feel the loss. Hugs and prayers for you as you travel this journey. I'm sure the memorial service in a few weeks will give you all some time to prepare and then enjoy a wonderful time celebrating a life well lived. God bless!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon

Deanie, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your FIL. Loss is never easy no matter what age. I hope the memorial will be a special family time. Hugs!
    Jeannie
    My gear:
    Canon 7D , Canon Rebel XSi. Lens: Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Canon 50mm 1.8 /Macro 90mm 2.8 / Canon 55-250mm 4.5 / PSE 8/ Lightroom 3

Sorry to hear about your loss Deanie. The memorial service with everyone sounds wonderful! Travel home safely! {hugs}

My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

So sorry to hear about your FIL. My grandmother died several years ago at 98. She saw so many things and had a rich, full life. My mother decided to wait until the following spring to have a service, when the grandchildren and their families could come.

It gave us time to mourn, and then we came together to remember her and her daughter, my aunt, who had died two years earlier.

There were lots of tears but lots of laughter too. I hope you all can come together again to remember his life! And hospice is such a blessing. What a ministry of mercy and compassion.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

99...how amazing! I know, though, it's still a loss when someone of that generation dies. I'm glad you both had some peaceful reflective time before the drive home. The name Clear-water seems very appropriate. Hugs!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Sorry for your loss, but glad you were able to enjoy Clearwater. Have a safe trip home!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

18. We had the same issue when my dad passed away. We waited for all to be home so that we could celebrate his life together. It gave us all time to reflect on what we wanted to say and do at the service. It also gave us time to find a stone from the cottage that he loved so much.
    So sorry for your loss. Wishing you peace, and a safe drive home.
    Susan

19. so sorry for your loss Deanie. may your family time together be a special time of remembrance.
    heather

So sorry for your loss. Maybe what would have been his 100th birthday would be a great time for the delayed memorial service?

What a great idea Nancy!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

I am so sorry for your loss, Deanie! Wishing you safe travels home! xx
    Trace

Oh Deanie. I'm so sorry for your loss. We just got back tonight from a weekend at the beach. I understand how under the circumstances we couldn't meet, but if you're ever back, please let me know. Wishing your family peace. I'm glad you were able to enjoy a respite on Clearwater Beach.

Deanie so sorry for your loss. No matter what age, losing a loved one is hard. So glad you had time to relax at the beach for a couple of days before heading home. Something about the beach--such a serene place.
    Terry

Terry's Tales

Gear: Nikon D60
    Software: CS4
    Platform: Mac

25. Oh Deanie, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is never something to fully be prepared for, and at 99, what a long full life your FIL had. Hugs to you and glad you and your husband were able to take that extra time to find a bit of peace before heading back home.
    shhbabymine (sarah)
    canon rebel xti
    PSE5
    my gallery

So sorry about your loss, Deanie. But - WOW! 99!
    Safe travels on your way home!
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

I'm sorry for your loss Deanie. Hoping you've had a safe trip home.
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

So sorry for your loss Deanie, but 99 wow!! Good for him! So glad you got some down time as well, that's just good for the soul! Safe trip home.

I am so very sorry for your loss, Deanie. What a wonderful, full, life he must have lead. Still, it is so hard to have him missing from your life. A big hug to you!
    Joanne

My Gallery

Camera: Canon 6D
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm
    Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
    PSE 12 on a PC

So sorry for your loss. Happy to read that you're finding some peaceful time in the midst of it all.
    Jodi
    LOVES it here!

Camera: Canon 60d
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3