Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BlendAbout!

I'm a total blending newbie! Will have to check out some of the workshops Katie has posted. :-)
    --Stacia

Novice digital scrapbooker with PSE 11.0 - working hard at getting better!

I always have a hard time deciding what color paper to use as the background for blending. Like with Linda's football pages I would have never thought to use grey but it looks so cool. Do you all just take the time to experiment with different paper colors or do you base your selection on the colors in the photos ???? I love how blending looks but I usually just give up because I can never decide on a background.
    Gail

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    I'm a total blending newbie! Will have to check out some of the workshops Katie has posted. :-)
    Blending's a breeze Stacia!

And yes, I have a number of tutorials posted on my blog to walk you through painting and blending your photos!

There's also the thread from last year's blend and mask chat!

So much information to help everyone through the ins and outs of blending!
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

And have you seen this video Sara did on Blend Modes? It's a great reference!
    Find Me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Standifg View Post
    I always have a hard time deciding what color paper to use as the background for blending. Like with Linda's football pages I would have never thought to use grey but it looks so cool. Do you all just take the time to experiment with different paper colors or do you base your selection on the colors in the photos ???? I love how blending looks but I usually just give up because I can never decide on a background.
    Yes, I don't think there's any magic recipe. It's a matter of experimentation. Frequently I start to blend and then experiment with the Hue/Saturation and Levels on the element/layer I'm blending to help achieve the affect I'm Happy with!
    Find Me on Facebook

I use soft light and overlay a lot. I find that I also must often duplicate the layer when using soft light to make it show up just a little bit better. Since I have been using your wonderful tutorials from your blog I find myself using other modes a little more. I like linear burn a lot too as I find with a lot of things it gives it more of that vintage look. Love the freebies. The fairy is awesome. Hope we see more of those.

My software: PSE10 on my beloved pc
    My gear: Canon t3; fujifilm finepix Z20

Such a treat to see my pages in this thread -- thanks, Katie! I play around with papers deciding what looks best with my photos that I want to blend.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Wow, beautiful blending here! I think that with photos I often use hard light and then do another photo layer to fill in and change the opacity. Jana's course Blending and Beyond taught me a lot, but I have to experiment more with some of the other modes. Can't wait to get a page up in the gallery.
    Sarah

My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

I am learning a lot from this thread. I don't blend a lot but have been experimenting tonight using some of the tips here. I really like the results and will post my page tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas.
    Jeannie
    My gear:
    Canon 7D , Canon Rebel XSi. Lens: Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Canon 50mm 1.8 /Macro 90mm 2.8 / Canon 55-250mm 4.5 / PSE 8/ Lightroom 3

10. Quote Originally Posted by MINIDEB View Post
    I type myself a note using the text to tell me what I do/did then turn the eyeball off I have to wait til I get home to get the freebie and to scrap
    Oh Debbie I always tell myself that but when I get to play with the opacity slider and the blends I forget about that note! LOL Well Im trying to pay more attention now!

Rache

Great idea using a text layer to note what you did.

Was out and about all day yesterday, so I missed this chat until today. I love the tip to duplicate the layers with soft light and overlay especially! Don't know why that never occurred to me!

I'm a soft lift kinda girl!! I also like to play with the opacity after playing with the mode!! I also find myself changing the color of my stamps/brushes before I play with the different modes and opacities!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

14. I like to play with all the blend modes, just takes seconds with the up/down arrow keys! I also like "embedding" soft text layers into the background layers with light modes. I was looking for the tut on texturizing masks and just found it in Sara's tut, thank you, Katie for mentioning it. ( I never got it right because I always blended the picture and not the mask)
    Love this format on the blending chat! Katie, I love the vintage script on these blendables, would like to see more where we can blend our own pictures with vintage script/blendables or separate png's would be fantastic so we can mix/match, if that's possible! Thanks for the huge freebies Here's the script I love! Vintage Blendables: Harvest No. 01 - Digital Scrapbooking Elements
    Francine

My Gallery

Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5
    Gear: Nikon D50 w/28-80 mm, 70-300 Tamron lenses
    Lightroom 3

15. Quote Originally Posted by KimR+ View Post
    I'm a soft lift kinda girl!! I also like to play with the opacity after playing with the mode!! I also find myself changing the color of my stamps/brushes before I play with the different modes and opacities!
    I also quite often change the color of my brush/stamp before using the blending mode and changing the opacity.
    Patsy

i love blending and on 99% of my pages there is some blending and/or masking off going on.
    recently i found out how to achieve a handwritten look for the usual text tool. i use a non-black color with a blending mode and use a mask with a low opacity watery brush to let the digital ink look as if it was more or less faded.

i must admit that i miss more mucha-like fairies in the store. the search word "fairy" in the store gave a minimal outcome. katie!!! :-D
    alina
    ~~~~~~~~~
    laptop hp pavilion g with 2nd monitor, pse 10, lightroom 3, acdsee 14
    camera: samsung galaxy I and canon 600d (rebel T3i), lenses: canon EF 50 mm 1:1.8 II, canon EFS 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

17. That's a great tip, Alina! Thanks, I'll have to try that.
    Francine

My Gallery

Lightroom 3

I love all the layouts I'm seeing in the gallery! I'm just back from a college visit today--oy! crazy times right now!

Great blending ideas Alina! Clipping any brush like the ARTpacks or word art to a watery wash and blending is a great option!

Find Me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by katie pertiet View Post

Great blending ideas Alina! Clipping any brush like the ARTpacks or word art to a watery wash and blending is a great option!

ah yes, that is even easier to use a kind of watery overlay.

your college visits sound exciting!
    alina
    ~~~~~~~~~
    camera: samsung galaxy I and canon 600d (rebel T3i), lenses: canon EF 50 mm 1:1.8 II, canon EFS 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

20. Thanks very much for the freebies. I can only play on the weekends but thankfully accept all freebies and of course I always love to see these challenges and the results.
    Brenda

Thanks so much for the blending freebies, Katie!! I came late to this but love to play with blending modes. I scroll through them, but most often I like soft light or overlay - sometimes screen.
    Julie

Thanks Katie for the blendable freebies, they will get lots of use as I love doing blended pages.
    Nikon D700
    Lens Nikon 24-70 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8 macro, Flash SB600
    Dell PC, PSE5 and Wacom Bamboo fun

just a few more hours to get your pages posted and then I'll choose a random winner!
    Remember to post your pages in the special events gallery so I don't miss them!
    Find Me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by katie pertiet View Post
    I love all the layouts I'm seeing in the gallery! I'm just back from a college visit today--oy! crazy times right now!

Back to the store I go, I was just looking for a leaf brush.

Just catching up from a couple crazy days. This is a great thread. Thanks for the wonderful freebies, Katie!

I do more blending now than ever! Can't say I have a fav blend mode because I keep playing until I get something I like. I think I generally start out with either soft light or multiply. Hanging around DD has really encouraged me to experiment.
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Congratulations to AlinaLove the winner of the BlendAbout chat!! Thanks to everyone for playing along!
    Find Me on Facebook

Thanks Katie!
    Joanne

My Gallery

Camera: Canon 6D
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm
    Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
    PSE 12 on a PC

28. Congratulations, Alina!!
    Francine

My Gallery

Lightroom 3

Congratulations Alina! Have fun picking out some goodies in the shop!
    Jeannie
    My gear:
    Canon 7D , Canon Rebel XSi. Lens: Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Canon 50mm 1.8 /Macro 90mm 2.8 / Canon 55-250mm 4.5 / PSE 8/ Lightroom 3

how sweet to have this as my wake-up email today :-) i enjoyed doing this page a lot with the great freebies and a cool shot! thank you for the gift certificate, i will have good use of it!
    alina
    ~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast