Thread: 9/11

9/11

As an operational firefighter this time of year brings great sadness to me as I remember my 343 colleagues that perished on September 11th when the Twin Towers were attacked and subsequently collapsed. I know the majority of this community are indeed Americans and therefore I wanted to share a moment or two with you all to remember every single one of those people who lost their lives that day......God rest their souls.
    Carolynn

My camera: Canon EOS 1000D
    My lenses: f/1.8 50mm, 18-55mm
    My software: Lightroom 4, PSE 9

2. How kind of you to write your thoughs, Carolynn. I think that the tragedy which befell our country put the entire world in shock. That day is definitely stamped in the minds of our country. I am honored to "know" that you are a firefighter . . . you are a hero and a symbol of bravery just as all firefighters are. Thank you for your sweet concern.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Oh my gosh, Carolynn, this is so very sweet of you. September 11 is a day I think many of us around the world will remember forever. I am sure you feel the sorrow being a firefighter and know all two well how heroic they were. Thank you for remembering.
    Joanne

My Gallery

Camera: Canon 6D
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm
    Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
    PSE 12 on a PC

so sweet of you to metion this Carolyn. I think 9/11 is etched in my brain forever.
    Terry

Terry's Tales

Gear: Nikon D60
    Software: CS4
    Platform: Mac

5. Thank you, Carolynn, for this heartfelt and timely message.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

A new friend of ours transferred out of the building in late August of 2001. He was on a bus three blocks away when the first tower fell. A few weeks ago he was telling us the story---and of the scrapbook they filled with snow-like pieces of paper that drifted down from the sky and covered their family park in Brooklyn---at dinner. My son Jake (who is 4) asked all week long, I want to see a video of the people falling.

I couldn't bear to tell him what really happened, or what it meant for the people at the end of the fall. He didn't understand why I was crying while telling him he couldn't watch "a movie."

Such a sad day. The memorial is a very fitting tribute, I believe.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

The day will not be forgotten. I think we can all probably remember exactly where we were and how we were glued to the coverage. I remember feeling the earth shake and looking out to see the smoke rising from the Pentagon. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Sharon
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by digigrandma View Post
    Thank you, Carolynn, for this heartfelt and timely message.
    I second this. Thank you, Carolynn and thank you for your service, too.
    ~Kelly

It happened late in the evening here in Australia. Allan called - "come and look at this" just as we were going to bed. We sat there in horror until the wee hours of the morning. Next day at school the TVs in the corridor were on all day covering the fall out. Some students had not slept all night. It certainly did have a big impact around the world.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Yes, it is one of those moments, you never forget where you were when you heard.... Thank you for remembering and for all that you do! My brother is a firefighter too, and my hat goes off to you!

It was an awful day and we really should remember it and all the people who perished!! Thanks for the reminder and thanks for what you do!!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Thank you Carolynn for this message! Thank you for your service too! I remember that I was expecting with Caden on that terrible day. We will never forget!
    Amy Mallory

MY BLOG

Thank you Carolynn for all you do in Britain, and for remembering this day. My son works at the Pentagon, but thank God was not there that day. I know several people who were working there...and when they speak of it...well, thank God they're alive.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Thank you, Carolynn, for remembering and honoring those who perished in the Twin Towers and for your service as a firefighter.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Those two towers falling did shake the entire globe. The bravery of the firefighters, the bystanders, the victims....all of it is a mark of faith in the ongoing love in the world.

May we(I) all remember to do our part in the little struggles each day for all those we know and might encounter. Especially sending energy to the families of those who perished and who must continue a life of hope.
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

My daughter and I were in NY this summer and had a chance to see the memorials. We also went to the fire station nearest the towers that lost the most men because they were the first response. My daughter and I couldn't stop crying. My husband is a fire fighter and we can't even imagine what those families went through.

On 911 I was pregnant expecting my oldest son. They did an episode on Dateline shortly after with all the babies that were born that lost their fathers in the towers. That show sticks with me even to this day. Such a tragedy.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Thank you, Carolyn, for your tribute to 9/11 and for all you do, too. It was indeed a day that shook the world... we will not forget...
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Carolynn, thank you for everything you do in your service as a firefighter - you are so brave. I will never forget that terrible, terrible day. When I visited NY and Ground Zero in 2003 I was truly moved. Those images will never leave me.
    Jenelle

My Gallery

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by digigrandma View Post
    Thank you, Carolynn, for this heartfelt and timely message.
    ditto. that day is so clear in mind. my heart breaks every time I remember the tears and fear in my dad's voice as he was trying to reach his brother who worked near there. And the dutch children that had been staying with me, their parents were in the air on the way back to us that morning and were turned around back to Holland. And my Romanian exchange student had been sent to NYC to head home via bus that morning and, needless to say, she was turned around as well. It was a very very difficult time.

My heart goes out to all the firefighters and their families as well.
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

Thank you do much for your heartfelt words. I will never forget that day. Such a tragedy.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Thank you so much for your service, Carolynn, and for remembering. My brother is a survivor and though this day is always hard, we must never forget.
    Steph
    My blog - steph's stuff
    My DD gallery - gallery
    Let's be friends on Facebook

Camera: Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 17-50mm f/2.8
    Software: Photoshop Elements 10.0

22. Thank you Carolyn for the reminder... thank you for your firefighter service even if you are country's away your bravery and skills are oh so necessary and brave....I remember everything about the day .... I have another 9/11 memory it happened 4 years ago today... Mamaw moved in with me... keep in mine she was almost 86.... stubborn that she is.... she didn't want me to waste the gas to come get her and/or have her follow me... about 11 I was getting most apprehensive because she hadn't arrived... even though the moving truck had came and was now empty and gone.... her bedroom waiting for her arrival.... about that time a bycicler stopped in front of my house showing my grandmother where to turn in..... she got lost a fair amount that first month but didn't give up.... when she didn't know what to do she just parked the car and asked for help.... you'll be glad to know she isn't driving any more....and will be 90 on the 22nd...
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

I think we will all remember where we were on that morning when it all first happened. I don't think I did anything at all that week but watch tv. My heart went out to all the families that lost their loved ones.
    LoriS

My Gallery

Our community was greatly affected on 9/11. Several of our children's classmates lost their fathers that day. Luckily, my husband was running late and cancelled a breakfast meeting scheduled at Windows on the World that morning. One of the first things I said today was "it looks like a 9/11 day", cool Fall air and a bright, clear blue sky.

Thank you for remembering, Carolynn, and for your service.
    Terese

I think everyone - worldwide, remembers very clearly where they were and what they were doing when this horrific news broke. Such a terrible, terrible tragedy.
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Bless you for thinking of us on the anniversary of this catastrophic tragedy, Carolyn. If only everyone was so respectful of their fellow man in spite of their differences this never would have had to happen.

I know this is late but thank you as well. It was a sad and shocking day not just for Americans but for people throughout the world. I also think it woke many Americans up, to our place in the world as a global community and how we are not isolated but part of a bigger picture than many of us want to acknowledge. My nephew is a firfighter and I know he puts his life on the line way more often than we all realize. Thank you Carolynn.

That tragedy makes all of us Americans. May God rest their souls and bring peace to the world.