Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Scrap Goals

  1. #1

    Scrap Goals

    I am wondering what projects and goals everyone is working on in their scrapbook lives these days. What are you doing?

    My current goal is to scrap the year 2007. I had been paper scrapping since 1999 but in 2008 I discovered digital scrapbooking. I started with current photos and somehow the year 2007 got lost in the transition. My older daughter has been complaining for years about the "missing year" of her life. I had already printed a lot of photos so part of the plan is to use up what ever paper supplies I have on hand and then give the rest of it away and clear space in my room here. I didn't print everything, though, so there will be some digital layouts too. When you see thse layouts in the gallery don't wonder if I got some new children. They will just look a bit younger.
    Denise Gormish
    Mom of Jackie (18) Jenny (15) and my English Cocker Spaniel 3-year-old Radiance Grand Prix RL1 AKC TD ASCA TD, i.e. Cody

    My English Cocker Spaniels in my heart forever:
    Auld Sod Red Magic Merlin CGC CD OA OAJ OAC NJC (Merlin)
    Elan's Surprise Surprise CGC NA NAJ (Arthur)

  2. That is a great goal, Denise. I'm afraid my catching up on projects in overwhelming to me . . . I am behind in most every book I'm working on. I am so many ideas but so little time it seems!

    Good luck with your 2007 scrapbook . . . something tells me that you will finish it and finish it in style and elegance! I wish I had your drive and organization.
    Mollie

    My DD Gallery

    DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group



    Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

  3. #3
    I think different people have different styles. Yours is probably different. For example, if you need to go with what inspires you and not worry about completing things then that is cool. That's fun and full of creativity. I admire that. I can't do that for long. If I don't get organized my brain seems to freeze and I can't move forward. It just works for me that way.
    Denise Gormish
    Mom of Jackie (18) Jenny (15) and my English Cocker Spaniel 3-year-old Radiance Grand Prix RL1 AKC TD ASCA TD, i.e. Cody

    My English Cocker Spaniels in my heart forever:
    Auld Sod Red Magic Merlin CGC CD OA OAJ OAC NJC (Merlin)
    Elan's Surprise Surprise CGC NA NAJ (Arthur)

  4. #4
    Truthfully, just keep making pages. If I stopped to think about what is "done" and what is left to do, I'm sure I would faint. There is SO MUCH I have not scrapped, it is kind of overwhelming. But I do know that I would be nowhere close to where I am now if I hadn't switched to digital! :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Denise Gormish View Post
    I think different people have different styles. Yours is probably different. For example, if you need to go with what inspires you and not worry about completing things then that is cool. That's fun and full of creativity. I admire that. I can't do that for long. If I don't get organized my brain seems to freeze and I can't move forward. It just works for me that way.
    Although I understand this line of thinking too! :-)
    Julie DeGuia
    Kennewick, WA
    My Blog

  5. #5
    Right now I continue to work on my Project Life and family album for 2012 (I have a list of about 15 pages I need to get to for the family album).

    But, I really need to start working on my NY album. I want to get that done so that I can give a copy to my parents for Christmas. I haven't even really looked at the pictures I took ... GLUP.

    I really try to focus on getting stuff to the done column. Even if that means I need to just leave a page as is and not continue to fuss with it. I try to set a limit to how long I can work on a page. I hardly ever spend more than an hour on a layout. I always find by the time I get it back in print I like the things I wasn't sure about on the computer screen


    My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3


    Instagram

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Overland Park, Ks.
    Posts
    18,531
    Bless your heart for going back like that! I'm one of those scrap what I want when I want and if there are holes I don't sweat it because I know my grandkids will have so many more memories than I ever had whatever direction my mood takes me!

  7. #7
    My sister and I just finished the 52-page book on her friend's wedding! We've been at it for 4 years...
    And I also finished my 78-page book on our Med Cruise!
    I just had to get them uploaded to Shutterfly in time to take advantage of the 50% sale on 12x12 books!!! AND I had a coupon for an additional 25% - so it was a steal since I ordered 5 copies of the first one!!!

    My goal now is to finish the Scottish Wedding in the next couple of weeks. Then scrap the rest of our African vacation in 2007 and the Yearbooks on 2006 and 2010!
    Don't ask about the years in between...
    Thess

    My DD Gallery

    A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

    My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

  8. #8
    I agree with Julie! Just keeping my pages going makes me happy.
    Amy

    my gallery

    My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    A rural city in Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    20,143
    Like you, Denise, I have a big hole in my albums. In the days of film I just printed and put the photos in albums. It took me 4 years to decide what to do with digital photos, so my photos from 2003 to 2006 are still hidden on the computer. I don't even remember what some of them are from! I'm glad I've been able to keep up with my POTD and holiday albums but have not managed to complete a single yearly family album! I might need to retire so I can catch up!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets


  10. #10
    Denise this is a great post. I need to actually pick a year and scrap it as a volume and then print it and move on, but I'm all over the place as the mood strikes.

    I'm attempting some canvasses for Christmas presents this year for my in-laws. And I may do a calendar or two again. But other than that I'm just randomly scrapping. Each page of the four kids go in a special folder on my computer dedicated to them and one of these days I will be giving each of them an album of themselves. Now the baby is about to turn 18 it might be time to get these gathered together, as I want to give them their albums all at the same time.
    Carol

    My Gallery
    My Blog

    Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo



  11. #11
    I'm seriously considering finally doing my wedding album. You all think you are behind - I've been married 44 years!!! I have trouble committing to a project because I'm afraid I'll never get it finished. However you are all so inspiring I feel my willpower slipping!
    Sharon
    **********
    aka - justbnsharon
    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

  12. #12
    I'm about a year behind in my chronological scrapping although I have scrapped pictures here and there as inspiration struck. I'm doing Project 365+1, so I do a layout each week for that. I'm giving myself a break from that next year. I'm about halfway through the Documenting a Decade project -- I really need to get back to that. And there's the ever-present beach book I need to do for this year.
    Linda

    My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

     photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

  13. #13
    I am still working on Project Life and am so excited to think that I will have an entire year done in December with this project!

    One of my goals for this year was to go back and finish my Project 52 from 2011 and I haven't done a single page. Instead, I've started a football album for Andrew and a Mackinac Island album. Sigh. LOL. The kids commented that putting Mackinac Island photos in PL and doing a vacation album is a bit of overkill so I'm taking a break from that album and rethinking my priorities.
    Steph
    My blog - steph's stuff
    My DD gallery - gallery
    Let's be friends on Facebook



    Camera: Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 17-50mm f/2.8
    Software: Photoshop Elements 10.0

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Beck View Post
    Bless your heart for going back like that! I'm one of those scrap what I want when I want and if there are holes I don't sweat it because I know my grandkids will have so many more memories than I ever had whatever direction my mood takes me!
    I'm like Nancy. I don't worry about scrapping chronologically, probably because I am a grandma and there are so many old photos in my possession and so many new digital photos that it would be overwhelming to try to scrap them all! I usually have several themed photo album projects in progress at the same time.

    I know I will enjoy seeing your 2007 pages, Denise!
    Merrilee



    Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

  15. #15
    I'm plugging away wih my project life and loving it!! Like a few others, I like to focus on he "done" list! However, I should probably work in my 2013 calendar. I only have 2/12 done.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

  16. #16
    My big upcoming goal is to do my sister's wedding album. However, I don't want to start that until we get the pictures back from the professional photographer. So for now, I'm just continuing on with my 2012 book, which I do chronologically.

    One big scrap-related goal I just accomplished is getting rid of all my old paper supplies. My mom and I put all our supplies together (we were both paper scrappers) and sold a little bit at a garage sale, and then sold the rest on Craigslist. Woo hoo! It feels so good to have my big cart of supplies gone and the space in the spare room back, and my mom feels the same about her cart. Now, does this mean I can spend all the money we earned from the sale on buying new digi kits...???

  17. Absolutely Sarah! In fact, I'm pretty sure that it is a law that all moneys derived from the sale of scrapping supplies should be spent on...um...scrapping supplies...
    Susan

  18. #18
    Goals: To finally finish my wedding album....from 9 years ago (my graphic designer sister even went through the pages to give me feedback, but I have to go through them again and fix everything), to finish the albums for each of the twins, a baby album for my youngest. It all seems so daunting because I just struggle to get a page or two done a week. When I start working on an album, all the day-to-day pages seem to fall off and I get behind. Fortunately this year we don't have as much travel planned, so that will mean fewer vacation albums! It is very reassuring to hear that everyone else struggles with getting it all done.
    Sarah



    My Gear: very old Canon EOS XS
    Software: Photoshop, Lightroom CC, ACDSee16

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by sterkeurs View Post
    Goals: To finally finish my wedding album....from 9 years ago (my graphic designer sister even went through the pages to give me feedback, but I have to go through them again and fix everything), to finish the albums for each of the twins, a baby album for my youngest. It all seems so daunting because I just struggle to get a page or two done a week. When I start working on an album, all the day-to-day pages seem to fall off and I get behind. Fortunately this year we don't have as much travel planned, so that will mean fewer vacation albums! It is very reassuring to hear that everyone else struggles with getting it all done.
    I find one of the "danger" of digital scraping is to go back and "twiddle". I have learned a lot of techniques since I started. I look back at the old stuff and it isn't to my taste now. I have decided to leave things as they are and keep moving onwards. There is so much to do and not enough time!

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Renobeano View Post
    I find one of the "danger" of digital scraping is to go back and "twiddle". I have learned a lot of techniques since I started. I look back at the old stuff and it isn't to my taste now. I have decided to leave things as they are and keep moving onwards. There is so much to do and not enough time!
    I agree. I think that evidence of "evolution" is cool. It shows how far you have come.
    Susan

  21. #21
    Much like you, Denise, I started digi scrapping in 2009, just a few years ago. Once I did that, all my pages were digi, letting 3D scrapping go. I finished up yearly albums for the very first time! I stay current with our family's annual book and stay (mostly) current in my four grandchildren's books. But my biggest project that's on the back burner? All those years of photos before I ever scrapbooked! Last year, I finally put them all in chronological order so that when I have time (LOL) I can scan them, scrap them, and toss the physical photo away! Wish me luck. And good luck to you, Denise, in your scrapbooking goals.
    Lorna


    My toys: Canon EOS 5D, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, macro 100mm
    My software: PSE v12, ACDSee Pro2
    My platform: I'm a Mac
    My blog: www.idiosyncrazies.wordpress.com

    Photobucket

  22. My goal is to just have fun with it! When I was a paper scrapper I usually scrapped chronologically. Now I rarely do. I just open up my photos and wait until the mood strikes me, then go with it and have fun! I so admire the PLers and anyone who finishes whole albums! But, for me, whole projects like those are too daunting and I find I lose the joy of it. So, back to random photos for me.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suburban Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Posts
    10,747
    I go with a mix of all of the above!! I love the freedom of digi, and I definitely scrap whatever I feel like whenever I feel like it...especially if a particular challenge or event here at DD inspires me. In the background, though, I'm working through photos chronologically. When I'm 'done' with a given month, I delete those photos from my hard drive (having several back ups, of course!) to open up space and mentally mark them 'complete!' I'm now up to June of 2011 in my chronological scrapping. I would really like to finish 2011 by the time my preferred print vendor (White House) has their winter sale on press printed books. I'll end up with two books for each of the younger girls (Jan-June and July-Dec) and two or three 'family' books for the year. With that many books to print, I need the sale before I place the order!! I'm also trying to finish up a book from our summer vacation this year and also to make a book for my daughter on her travels to Europe last spring. Then there's the album that I've started with the shots from the photobooth at DD's wedding in May of 2011....and the albums from the scanned baby pics from each of my daughters....and a family recipe book.....and a book of 'heritage' pages about heirloom/meaningful family objects.....and photos from the wedding I shot in August....OK, I'm exhausted now, time to go to bed!
    Connie


  24. #24
    I'm currently working on our last two big vacation albums - Cambodia and Thailand from 2010 (I did finish the Vietnam album) and then last years trip down under, plus my current year album. I just had my 2011 album printed by Paper Kiwi and am pretty happy with it. I do still tend to scrap somewhat chronologically but go back and forth between albums. I have a couple of partially completed paper albums (heritage and early years for the girls) but never seem to get back to scrapping paper pages these days.
    Jane

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by scullen2 View Post
    I go with a mix of all of the above!! I love the freedom of digi, and I definitely scrap whatever I feel like whenever I feel like it...especially if a particular challenge or event here at DD inspires me. In the background, though, I'm working through photos chronologically. When I'm 'done' with a given month, I delete those photos from my hard drive (having several back ups, of course!) to open up space and mentally mark them 'complete!' I'm now up to June of 2011 in my chronological scrapping. I would really like to finish 2011 by the time my preferred print vendor (White House) has their winter sale on press printed books. I'll end up with two books for each of the younger girls (Jan-June and July-Dec) and two or three 'family' books for the year. With that many books to print, I need the sale before I place the order!! I'm also trying to finish up a book from our summer vacation this year and also to make a book for my daughter on her travels to Europe last spring. Then there's the album that I've started with the shots from the photobooth at DD's wedding in May of 2011....and the albums from the scanned baby pics from each of my daughters....and a family recipe book.....and a book of 'heritage' pages about heirloom/meaningful family objects.....and photos from the wedding I shot in August....OK, I'm exhausted now, time to go to bed!
    LOL! That sounds just like me!!!
    Thess

    My DD Gallery

    A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

    My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7,970
    Whoah! I am exhausted just reading this
    I do a bit of everything - whatever takes my fancy or inspires me to scrap. I am being very organised however with PL this year and have just caught up. Hopefully won't get so far behind again.
    Jenelle

    My Gallery

    DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •