Thread: I'm in all out WEDDING mode

I'm in all out WEDDING mode

I am shooting my first solo wedding on the 31st of this month. My feelings are all over the place. I am excited, but of course nervous. I have a favor to ask. This may also help Connie as she is also shooting a wedding at the same time.

I am so not a check list person when it comes to photography. I am a visual person. For a big event I like to have a notebook with small thumbnail images to help guide me to get all the shots I need. I don't necessarily set the pose up just like the thumbnail, but it is a visual reminder that, "Oh I need to get a a photo of the mom lacing up the dress" My assistant will have my little notebook handy if I need to take a look. I am very detailed oriented so I will be taking lots and lots of photos.

Do you have any places bookmarked of beautiful weddings? Blogs/websites? I love the blogs that tell the story of the day through the photos. I know there are thousands, but I would love to see some of your favorites. Thanks in advance!
    Amy Mallory

MY BLOG

Amy, just wanted to tell you what happened at our wedding. We had a list of specific shots we asked the photographer to get, and she had us nominate someone (ended up being my brother) as the rounder-upperer So when she was wanting to take a photo of me and my bestie, or Mike and his mum and dad, or whatever combinations, he was the gopher, that worked well. Perhaps you could ask them to do the same. Because you are not going to know which one of the ladies is old Aunt Edna or the groom's best friend from college, etc. It will save a lot of time for you.

HOWEVER, having said all that, we didn't even realise until we got our photos back that we didn't get a photograph of me, Mike and his family together. EEEK! We got me, Mike and my family. We got Mike and his family. But I'm going to still have to photoshop myself into that photo because I'm not in it! Truth be known I was probably somewhere talking

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you. And GOOD LUCK, you will be amazing.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I don't have any help for you, Amy, but just wanted to say I know you and Connie will both do super jobs on these weddings. Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

No Photographer advice here either but wishing and praying for confidence and enjoyment for you... and the wedding party!

eta: google this phrase "must take wedding photos". Some of the results have images that you could put into a contact sheet and then cut out for that notebook. In time you can put your own great images in a portfolio notebook!
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

I wish I had some sites I knew of but I just want to tell you how wonderful I think you will be. You are such a talented photographer! Good luck!
    Jeannie
    My gear:
    Canon 7D , Canon Rebel XSi. Lens: Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Canon 50mm 1.8 /Macro 90mm 2.8 / Canon 55-250mm 4.5 / PSE 8/ Lightroom 3

hi amy! i came across this one some time ago that i think is really beautiful; maybe you'll think so too, Holly Chapple | The Full Bouquet Blog Holly Chapple Holly Chapple - The Full Bouquet Blog | The Full Bouquet Blog. click on "website" at the far right of their menu bar to see extensive wedding photos.
    Last edited by dfwest; 08-21-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add info.
    Debbie

Not so much a checklist, but loads of tips and inspiration from one of the wedding gurus: Photography Educational Website By Jerry Ghionis | The i.c.e. Society | Welcome
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Oh what a lovely - daunting- exciting time you will have. I have a few weddings under my belt and every single one I am scared for a week before!

I always ask the bride to create a list for the posed family shots of everyone she can think she wants that type of photo of. I also ask for the biggest mouth in the family that would know all the people to assist getting everyone. The quicker you get through those group photos the quicker you can get to the couple shoot and get back to the party.

Have fun, its a tiring day.
    my blog
    my gallery

Tools of the trade :
    Nikon chick D700 D200 D70
    lenses : 70-200;18-70 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 18-200 Flashing chick SB800
    macbookpro chick
    The chick needs - Nikon 24-70 2.8 ed & nikon 70-200 !

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and for the inspiration places on the web. I am loving it. --Trying to soak in everything I can before this big event! You offer great advice too. My bride is going to make a list of all the family shots. These are very traditional in the south and family members have been known to get their feelings hurt if accidentally left out. I am also going to nail down that gopher you mentioned. I am a gentle natured person and have worried that I wouldn't be able to cut it in the photography world. Thankfully once the adrenaline kicks in, my shyness seems to move aside and it's like I am a whole different person. I am even more excited now that I know I have friends who will be keeping me in their thoughts!!! Thank you!
    Amy Mallory

MY BLOG

Amy (and Connie), I don't have any suggestions or links, but I know you will both do a fabulous job!! You are both amazing photographers! You'll be amazing!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I don't have any sites to give you but I know that you will both do awesome. Can't wait to see the photos!

I know you will be fabulous, too! One wedding blog that I liked very much as Sara and I were planning her wedding was Ruffled Vintage weddings. I don't know the style of the wedding you're shooting but the photography on this site is wonderful. Unfortunately about the only thing you can't control is the weather!
    My Gallery

My Gear: Canon 50D, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 28-300mm IF
    My Software: PSE 7, Noiseware Professional, Lightroom 1.4

Well, Amy I will be sending you good thoughts that day as I will be in the trenches as well. It isn't my first wedding but I get extremely nervous every time.

All I can say is triple check your gear, bring a water bottle and a snack (I never have time to eat) and breathe

This will be my first wedding with my Mark III so I am excited about the indoor reception shots for once. I have dedicated myself to master my external flash this summer so I could be prepared. I have been a natural light girl but honestly that was just because I didn't fully understand the power of my strobes. Crossing my fingers all the knowledge soaked in!!

Ya gotta start somewhere

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Thanks so much ladies! Oh yeah, Jen I remember that you are also shooting a wedding that day. It is comforting to know that some of my DD sisters will be doing the same thing as me. Thanks for the great advice! I feel like a little kid jumping in the deep end without floaties for the 1st time! The hardest part on my planing was the logistics. I am meeting with my bride this week-end to go over it all. I planned it in a way to give her both outdoor and indoor shots. Most people who get married at my church do not travel to an outdoor location so this is something new. I just couldn't resist doing the wedding party outdoors. Of course if it rains, I will have to go with plan B.
    Amy Mallory

MY BLOG

Amy, I just saw this thread! Thank you, it IS helpful to me, too! I am amazed at you guys who do this regularly. Amy, I can relate...I am so NOT the person that should be out there organizing posed shots. I tend to be the one observing the party, not the life of the party. I think that will give me stronger candids/photojournalist type work, but I am nervous about providing the portrait style shots that I know the bride would like to have. GULP.
    Connie