Thread: Moving from point and shoot to DSLR...

Moving from point and shoot to DSLR...

Ladies, I am SO excited about the possibility of buying a DSLR. I have only ever had point and shoot cameras (but they have served me well) and with our household only being on a single wage, I never thought I would be getting a DSLR until I went back to work full time.

However, we may just be able to afford a second hand one (after a quick look on Ebay at prices) but I am not exactly sure what to look for???

I am leaning towards a Canon... not really sure why....

Any advice or tips on what to look for? What to stay clear of (especially if buying second hand)? Good entry level camera for me to get started with?

Thanks so much for your help and advice. I am a total newbie when it comes to the world of photography so I will be asking lots of questions if I do end up getting one...

You are all such experts here x
    Jenelle

My Gallery

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

You will LOVE a DSLR!! Your p&s photography is so good, you will FLY with a DSLR!
    I bought my Canon 7D second hand on eBay. No problems. There is always a small risk that there could be a problem, but eBay has a buyer protection policy. I like to see clear photos of all sides of the camera to know it has no bumps and clear photos of the lens to see it has no scratches. I also like to know WHY they are selling, and if they don't say I email to ask.
    There are so many cameras and lenses on eBay from people who bought them thinking they would use them a lot and found they just sat in a cupboard. I suspect that some people buy the DSLRs and find they are more complicated than they realised.
    As for which camera... I love the idea of the touch screen on the 650D.
    Terrific sites for info include DigitalRev TV, Digital Photography Review and Canon & Nikon Digital SLR Camera and Lens Reviews at The-Digital-Picture.com
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Squeal!! How exciting Jenelle. Honestly before we met you that day in Melbourne I would never have guessed you were on a point & shoot, your photos are just amazing. I've recently upgraded from my Sony to a Canon 60D and love it. As for buying off eBay, no advice except that do your homework, know exactly what you want and stick with that decision and don't get caught up with the bells and whistles of something else.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Woo hoo -- you will love a DSLR, Jenelle! I'm partial to Nikon because that's what I've always had. Can't wait to see what you get and what you shoot!
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

How exciting!! You'll love this new adventure and learning about dSLR's! I'm a Canon girl, but I think you can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon! Are you looking at a body only or does it come with the kit lens? A good inexpensive lens is the canon 50mm f/1.8, it runs about $100, and for that aperture, it's a steal of a deal! Some Nikon models aren't compatible with their version of this lens, so if you switch your mind, look into that too.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

I would recommend Canon, right now they are making a
    better product. The menus are fairly intuitive. That advice came from a friend who is a lifelong Nikonian. He said if he could start over he'd go with Canon.

I have the T2i and it's a great entry level. I've outgrown it in the sense that I need higher ISO, but other than that I love it. I've never bought used so no advice there. But remember that you will invest more in lenses than the body, at least at first. I made an investment and bought 4 lenses. 2 are considered kit lenses and 2 are prime.

I found that was the most important thing to me. I came from a point and shoot that rivaled a dslr and wanted the focal length options. It's all up to you.

My photography did improve but some of my favorite shots are with my little P&S. Have fun!!!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Another Canon girl... but again it is just what I started with.

My thoughts are to possible spend the extra money on a new body if possible. Camera bodies have tons of tiny working pieces that wear out... like the shutter. If you can find one that hasn't been used much then I say go for it. But, I would be careful.

I have purchase many used lenses. They can last a lifetime and I have saved a ton of money purchasing them used. As people have stated above this is where you are going to see the big difference from your point and shoot.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Oh wow, oh wow! Jenelle that is amazing news - you totally blow me away with your P&S pictures so you are going to be OUTSTANDING with a DSLR. I really am so happy for you.
    I am a Canon girl too. My first DSLR was a 500D and it was (and still is) a cracking camera. Coupled with a 50mm f/1.8 you're all set. I would advise you buy a body only and then buy the 50mm lens. You won't regret it - it's head and shoulders above the kit lens that comes with entry/mid level DSLRs.
    Carolynn (Mamabean) has the Canon 1000D and the 50mm and she always gets the most amazing, fabulous shots.
    My mum and Dad have the 60D and it's another fabulous piece of kit. They have the nifty fifty on it too.
    I've never bought second hand so I can't really comment on that side of things, though as Jen says do be careful. With new you get a warranty - which maybe worth it's weight in gold.
    Good luck with your quest and PLEASE keep us posted!!! xxxxx
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Jenelle sounds so exciting. Why not go into a camera store and look (play with) the models you are thinking of possibly purchasing on ebay. I am Nikon user and just love the cameras but get a feel of both brands to find out which feels more comfortable in your hands.

Can't wait to see what you buy.
    Carolyn

Blog: House of Amson

My Camera: Nikon D300
    Lenses Include: Nikon 18-200, Nikon 50 mm 1.8 and 1.4, Tokina Macro 100mm 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (newest indulgence)

Jenelle, I have a Cannon Rebel. I bought it when Tate was little so that I could loose the lag time of a point and shoot. I still use it as a point and shoot, as what I know about photography would fit in a thimble. If I'm not on auto, I am on one of the other camera settings. Since mine is approximately 8 yrs. old now, I have no doubt I will have to replace it one day soon and I wouldn't hesitate to replace with it with another Rebel.

Thanks so much ladies - all wonderful advice. I am doing my research so will keep you posted... Can't afford new at this stage, so second hand will have to do..

We had Nick's friend over the other day and when she came to pick him up she saw some of my scrapbook pages on the table and oohed and ahhed and asked me all these questions about scrapping. Anyway, she casually added in that a few years ago, her husband had bought her a 'whizz bang. big digital SL thingie camera' and it has been in the cupboard ever since because she has no idea how to use it. OH MY WORD. I nearly died then and there. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? There needs to be federal laws about that sort of thing happening! What I could do with that camera
    Jenelle

My Gallery

It is shocking, isn't it?! But that's what happens!! I don't know whether to be more incensed about - that OTHER people's husbands do this sort of thing for them or that the camera sat in the cupboard!!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Jenelle you should have casually dropped into the conversation, "oh really, I'm actually looking for a camera, you're not interested in selling are you". Who knows, it could have been a win-win all round.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    It is shocking, isn't it?! But that's what happens!! I don't know whether to be more incensed about - that OTHER people's husbands do this sort of thing for them or that the camera sat in the cupboard!!
    Ahahaha!! Peeing my pants laughing here Esther. Who are these blokes anyway??? Maybe I should have suggested to buy the husband hey Carol????(and chuck Wayne in the cupboard)... He he he
    Jenelle

My Gallery

Congrats Jenelle! You will love your camera!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

16. How exciting!

My husband bought me a Canon Rebel 2ti 4 years ago. The first year I only used auto. I just couldn't figure it out. But then after 18 months of frustration I started taking classes online and finally it clicked. Then, I upgraded to the 60D and now you'll rarely find me without a camera in my hand.

I have done a lot creatively over the years that I enjoy: sewing, paper scrapping, digiscrapping, knitting, etc, but NOTHING makes my heart sing like photography.

Can't wait to see your photos!
    kelly
    Louisburg, KS

my blog

You girls make me giggle! Love Esther's comment! LOL!
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Oh, wow, Jenelle! So exciting to shop for a new camera! I love my Canon Rebel T2i!
    ~ Rosy

This sounds so exciting Jenelle! I also had do idea you were using point and shoot. Your photos are fabulous! I started with Nikon D40 and now I have Nikon D90. I love it! I can't wait to work my way up to a full frame. I hear you about the one income family. That is why I had to start shooting on the side to earn a little extra income. Whatever you decide, I know you will be so happy! Thinking of you on your camera journey!!
    Amy Mallory

MY BLOG