Thread: Broken Lens

Broken Lens

Last night I put my 50 mm f/1.8 on my Mark II and headed out of the house for our neighborhood "walk about." (went to four houses for visiting, treats and drinks). I put my camera strap on as well, which I haven't used with my new camera yet. As I walked out into the garage, the camera strap came undone and my camera fell hard onto the concrete ground. My lens broke, but luckily it was my least expensive lens and my camera is okay. A small bruise on it, but it's shooting fine!

Last night after I put the kids to bed I came to the forum here to search out info on a new prime. I was deciding between the 50mm f/1.4 and the 85 mm f/1.8. Since I already have the 24-70 I decided to go for the 85mm since it is a focal length that I don't have. I also ordered a new camera strap (the black rapid...also highly recommend here in the forum).

Again, such a blessing that it was my 50 and that my camera is okay. Such a blessing.
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

2. Hard to believe that you can call this a blessing Kim, but I know what you mean. I had my camera in a bag and accidentally dropped it with my 70-200 on, while holding a door open for someone, but it was OK, it landed on my foot....I almost threw-up when I heard the crunch (I think that it was the sound of the lens cap and not my lens or foot).
    Susan

You must have been sick!

Oh my Kim! Our worst nightmare! However you've invested in a mighty fine camera strap. The black rapid is excellent and will serve you well. So sad to see your nifty fifty looking so forlorn but it certainly took it for the team and saved your mark 2! I have the 85mm also - its a grand lens.
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Quote Originally Posted by georgeinci View Post
    it certainly took it for the team and saved your mark 2!
    Well put and SO true Georgina!

Quote Originally Posted by georgeinci View Post
    Oh my Kim! Our worst nightmare! However you've invested in a mighty fine camera strap. The black rapid is excellent and will serve you well. So sad to see your nifty fifty looking so forlorn but it certainly took it for the team and saved your mark 2! I have the 85mm also - its a grand lens.
    This made me smile, Georgina! Kim, you must have been sick about this...at least for a couple of minutes. Sounds like you've rebounded quite well, however. A news lens and a new strap sounds like a pretty good outcome for a bad day.
    Connie

This looks exactly like my 1.8 did when it went flying across the floor (long story). It too was on my camera and took the brunt of the blow (thank goodness). I thought the same thing . . . at least this was my least expensive lens. :O/ Darn that you had to get a new lens though.
    ~Kelly

I think I might have cried a little before turning it around on a positive note! Thank goodness it wasn't one of your expensive lenses!
    Jeannie
    My gear:
    Canon 7D , Canon Rebel XSi. Lens: Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Canon 50mm 1.8 /Macro 90mm 2.8 / Canon 55-250mm 4.5 / PSE 8/ Lightroom 3

I'm glad the brunt of the fall was on the less expensive lens rather than the camera, Kim. When I fell in Prague last spring, my first thought was, "I hope my camera's okay." It was! You will love that Black Rapid strap -- best money I ever spent.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Kim. I am so sorry. Two things...

I have an 85mm 1.8 Canon EF lens I am selling...still in the box all the warranty papers, etc. I sent to a PM about it...

Second, the Black Rapid... check that it is screwed in to your tripod receptor (how it connects) every time you use it....mine was once so loosened it was ready to fall off ...luckily I caught it...
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

Yikes! I have to check out that camera strap you are talking about. Always nice to upgrade a lens though, sounds like the 85mm will be a nice addition

12. so happy that you were able to make lemonade from lemons, kim! i am glad that your camera itself was o.k. . . . now that would have been major lemons!!

i need to check out the camera strap too . . . i carry mine in my hand and let the cannon strap that came with it dangle . . . never using the strap at all. i think that my hand suffers from all of the carrying.

i would love to know how you like the 18-1.8 lens after you have used it for awhile.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

So sorry it broke, but glad you took the opportunity to upgrade your lens park! And I'm with G, how great that it saved your expensive body... I'm so wanting an 85 mm too, because the 50mm doesn't give me what it did on my crop body (40D). I need that portrait lens (plus that it looks like a great size and not too heavy)!
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

Quote Originally Posted by iUma View Post
    Kim. I am so sorry. Two things...

I have an 85mm 1.8 Canon EF lens I am selling...still in the box all the warranty papers, etc. I sent to a PM about it...

Second, the Black Rapid... check that it is screwed in to your tripod receptor (how it connects) every time you use it....mine was once so loosened it was ready to fall off ...luckily I caught it...
    Yup, that almost happened to me too...
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

Sorry that happened, Kim! Now you have me curious about the 85mm! I'd have to play with one first to know if I like it though!
    LoriS

My Gallery

Whew!! Really glad to hear that the Mark II made it out safely! I have the black rapid strap and really like it

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I love that life handed you lemons here and you are making lemonade! Georgina's comment has made me laugh.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

oops... ditto on the black rapid screw into the tripod adapter... mine is loose frequently so it's now habit to check frequently...

Sorry to hear ... at least you've got a new lens on the way and a great strap to go with it. I have the black rapid and love it but use a wrist strap for day to day.

I also had a lens mishap during summer vacation ... picked up my camera bag in a dimly lit room thinking my camera was down in the bag but it was just resting on top so the camera and lens hit the hardwood floor and all I heard was the crash ... panic. It was the 55-250 and it shattered the filter and broke the rim to screw on a filter/secure the lens cap ... lens still works but I can no longer cover the glass. No damage to the camera so that was a blessing.
    Gail

Well you would have been in no doubt that the lens was broken! It makes you feel sick with horror, doesn't?!
    Getting a different focal length is a great idea.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

oh I have done this. sickening isn't it? I literally cried and totally confused my relatives who were like - um... isnt this just an object?!!!
    I love my nifty fifty, but like to make myself put on my other lens and use them, no excuses too
    I'm so glad your camera was okay! PHEW!!!!
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

Yes, it was terrible that the lens broke but getting to replace it is a little bit of fun, too. All my lenses are pretty replaceable except for my 400mm L, which cost more than the camera body. I have to be really careful when that one is on the camera!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

well id say that is a great way to turn around a crummy situation! Enjoy the new lens and the new strap!

So sorry to hear this and happy that your camera is okay!! This is my worst nightmare having my camera drop from my strap!! I am going to check out the black rapid!!

Oh Kim!! I'd cry! Love how you look at it with such a positive spin though. A couple of days ago Master Lincoln managed to grab my camera off the dining table. Note to self, he can reach things on the table! It landed heavily on the tiles and now there's a funny mark whenever I take a photo. I've tried all of my lenses on it and it's still there. So off to the repair man it goes this week for a service. I am hoping it's just dust.. On the plus side, it's only an entry level Nikon so if I HAVE to get a new one...well, what a shame. I'd have cried more if macro lens that was on it had broken! LOL
    Trace

EEK Trace! Hopefully the service will be able to get that spec/spot off there for ya!! Thank heavens the lens was okay and the body!! Let us know what you find out! It's always interesting.