Thread: Waterproof cameras anyone?

Waterproof cameras anyone?

I'm in the market, the rugged market that is. Does anyone have one of these? Cater to a particular brand? I'm looking at the new Olympus and Canon.

I'm sure Jen will log in here, but I think she has a Canon.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Myra ... I have the Olympus Stylus Tough-3000, 12mp ... I love it. I was at the beach this past week when TS Debby was in the gulf and it was the only camera I took to the beach since the rain/wind was so bad. I took it in the ocean just to see how it would do getting pounded by the waves ... it worked great and no evidence of water in the opening for the card/battery. It takes great photos .. I'll pm you a few once I go thru all of them this week. I did notice a few shots where there was apparently a water drop on the lens (while in the ocean) but I guess that is expected for a camera that is around/in water. I have tested it in a pool and it does a great job under water.
    Gail

we use a lumix that has a case you put over it to use in the water--took it on the cruise and it worked great at the beaches/pools and for underwater photos! I've had the canon underwater camera and it just didn't "feel" right to me.
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

We have a Pentax underwater camera with 10MP. We used it for snorkeling last year but found there was a pretty long shutter lag on it.
    Jane

Yep, I have a Canon D10 and we love it. I use it all the time It is a bit bulky but they just came out with an upgrade the D20. The D20 looks sleeker than my model. Best summer purchase ever

ETA - Thanks a lot Myra... now I want the new one :P I love the wide lens!

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

7. We have an Olympus. It's pretty good as far as waterproof point-and-shoots go. It's the one we used for the white water rafting photos.
    Sara

My DD Gallery: sarahorton
    My Blog

Thanks, everyone! Going to Wisconsin Dells for the rest of the week, so I might see what Best Buy has for options... I do not want to brave my big camera out in the waterpark!!
    LoriS

My Gallery

Sample of some pics I got with my Olympus while at the beach this past week. Didn't take my DSLR to the beach because of the constant sand driving winds and blowing surf we had most days. These were saved at 96ppi versus 300ppi to save on file size for uploading.

Myra 01.jpg

Myra 03.jpg

Myra 04.jpg

Myra 07.jpg

Myra 08.jpg
    Gail

Beautiful shots Gail! Thank you everyone for sharing. I looked seriously at the Canon D20, but went with the Olympus Tough TG-1. It just came out and was pricier, but the aperture goes to F2. I couldn't resist the low light capabilities for underwater.

I can't wait to give it a try this weekend!

I went out today and got the Olympus Tough TG-820. Probably not as nice as yours, Myra! I'm excited about it though! Nice to have something small to take to waterparks, parks and to just throw in my purse!
    LoriS

My Gallery

Nice Lori! Congratulations! I honestly don't like the placement of features on the camera as much as my Canon point and shoot, but I also know it's also a matter of getting used to it. The reviews have been great, and the macro features are spectacular. I was hoping to be able to go into more of a manual mode, but I'm going to embrace The Auto.

Happy shooting!

What a great thread. I am going to check these out for when I go to Mexico this winter. Gail, what gorgeous photos! That couple shot made me smile...
    Jeannie
    My gear:
    Canon 7D , Canon Rebel XSi. Lens: Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Canon 50mm 1.8 /Macro 90mm 2.8 / Canon 55-250mm 4.5 / PSE 8/ Lightroom 3

14. thanks for all the info...i love getting everyone's opinions on these things since i think the photography skills at DD are top-notch!
    heather

Can I just say...

If anyone is in the market for a "rugged" camera, I have to say, I have found a winner. It took me a day or two to get used to all the manual controls, but it was worth it. I wish it had full on manual mode, but I can control the metering, exposure, and the ISO, pretty typical of a point and shoot. In the P mode, it automatically picks the aperture according to the other settings you choose. It held up fantastic in the salt, and was so clear in the pool. The video is HD and razor sharp.

It will be competing against my SLR this summer when I need something to drop in my purse without making a scene.

Still need to get to know my "Tough" a little bit more, but I can say that I love mine too! Great manual settings and fun options! It was nice to have a camera over the weekend for in the water and on rides and even in the dark restaurants, etc that wasn't huge. Great for getting a quick shot here and there!
    LoriS

My Gallery

Good to know, esp being around water all the time! I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the info girls!

the Olympus is an amazing camera Myra. You made a GREAT choice. It really is TOUGH!
    my blog
    my gallery

Tools of the trade :
    Nikon chick D700 D200 D70
    lenses : 70-200;18-70 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 18-200 Flashing chick SB800
    macbookpro chick
    The chick needs - Nikon 24-70 2.8 ed & nikon 70-200 !