Thread: Canon Camera/Lens Help

Canon Camera/Lens Help

Ladies, I am a little stumped here.

Lately, I have been having trouble with my 55-250 and my 400 autofocusing. I'll have it set on autofocus and I will be far enough away from the subject that the AF should work fine, but when I push either the shutter button (on auto) or the back button focus (on manual), the motor does not engage and there is no focusing activity. I have to switch to MF and I am horrible with it as my eyes, even corrected, don't find things too sharp through the viewfinder.

Any ideas on why, all of a sudden, the AF motor isn't engaging? Could the contacts be dirty? I had this happen with my Sony but it was because it was old, I think, dirty, and the lenses were cheap. I wouldn't expect this to happen with my $1,000 lens!

Any advice would be appreciated. I feel better that in about a month we'll be moving to a place that most likely has local camera repair shops. Right now I have to ship all my equipment out for repair or cleaning.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

So if it is happening with both lenses, I would assume a problem with the camera. I would think there is something being interrupted with the communication between the camera and the lens where the focus motor is not being engaged. You might try looking at the Canon forum on dpreview.com to see if anyone has had this issue. (I don't have a Canon so I'm not much help with specifics to that camera, sorry.)

I hope you can get it fixed soon...I am sure it's really frustrating!
    Olympus E-3 SLR
    Photoshop CS4
    Lightroom

Quote Originally Posted by kcar08 View Post
    So if it is happening with both lenses, I would assume a problem with the camera. I would think there is something being interrupted with the communication between the camera and the lens where the focus motor is not being engaged. You might try looking at the Canon forum on dpreview.com to see if anyone has had this issue. (I don't have a Canon so I'm not much help with specifics to that camera, sorry.)

I hope you can get it fixed soon...I am sure it's really frustrating!

Good logic here. I, myself, am hoping you will be finding some cool bogs or swamps or other nature spots in NC.

NEED your photos....
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!