Thread: shooting through chain link fencing?

1. shooting through chain link fencing?

I'm having a really tough time photographing our grandson's baseball games through the chain link fence surounding the field. Any ideas? I have a Canon and use a 24-70 2.8 or an 18-200 lens. Both are too large to poke through a hole in the fence.

I have thought of taking a pair of wire cutters . . . but I might get kicked out of the park!
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

I have done this many times at the zoo and at my daughter's softball games. I put my body against the fence and gently set my lens against it with the center of lens in the open spot. Be sure you zoom your lens all the way out (I'd use your longest lens), press against the fence, and then focus. Find a position if necessary where the wires are on the periphery of the visible area. You can crop them out. If you do get them in the frame, they might not be noticeable due to the depth of field.

If you have a lens hood, put it on to protect the lens from accidentally rubbing against the wire. It just requires a delicate hand.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Katrina had a post about it on her blog years ago - it was about photographing animals at the zoo. You can do it standing back just a little so you're not touching the wire. The key is to have a wide aperture - shallow depth of field so that the wire blurs out (bokehs out?!). I tried it with some success on the weekend.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

This I've done too, Esther, but it is also going to depend on how close your subject is to the fence. Sometimes at the zoo they're too close to the fence so the wires don't blur. Probably wouldn't be a problem at a baseball game but there still might be the "idea" of the wires in the way, blurry gray spots you can't really see that might be easily cloned out. This one I shot by carefully placing my camera between the wires. You can still see some distortion because I couldn't lean up against the fence and the wires were close together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

I have shot hundreds or baseball photos just the way Sarah said, Mollie, and I think they have turned out pretty well.

There are some in this layout, this layout and this layout. (These are awfully old, I know I have more recent ones but can't currently locate them!) Anyway, the technique is the same. It works pretty well.

Please, no wire cutters! there's no DD sisters nearby to bail you out if you get caught!
    Lynn (also known as Lynnie!)

I would imagine the problem also being the player moving and therefore the autofocus keeps kicking in and picking up the fence each time.

Have you tried "manual focus" focusing on the player - but if they move you would have to focus as they move. I would use a slightly HIGHER aperture rather than 2.8 say f8 which will help as well.

Hope you win with everyones ideas.
    my blog
    my gallery

Tools of the trade :
    Nikon chick D700 D200 D70
    lenses : 70-200;18-70 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 18-200 Flashing chick SB800
    macbookpro chick
    The chick needs - Nikon 24-70 2.8 ed & nikon 70-200 !

All these ideas have worked for me. Just wanted to take this opportunity to say I saw your Bham grandboy watching the game Gus was playing last Monday night. The interest he showed was keen!! At the fence behind the catcher most of the game!!
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!